Norfolk Union Mission Expansion Progress

cpeakesqr

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recessed and grid windows, a more detailed cornice, french balconies would do wonders for this clunker.  A contextual building next to the Union Mission is a nice idea, but when the cornice is fake stone and the "details" are precast concrete, the final product will look more cheap than complementary.  

I'm okay with the design, as it works well with the Union Mission building. But I hate the faux balcony railings. It seems like 90% of the luxury apartments Norfolk and VB have built use those non-balconies. For what they're charging for rent, you'd think they'd build regular balconies...

This is on the Agenda for January 16th so it hasn't been approved yet.  We could probably each send an email and express "pleasure with someone moving forward with the property but displeasure with the design of the new addition".

Here is the agenda.

http://www.norfolk.gov/DocumentCenter/View/13024

Who/where should we send an e-mail to?  

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/09/rockefeller-once-homeless-shelter-now-chic-apartment-spread#commentsDiv&_ga=1.140601906.100316393.1417541551

The Rockefeller: Once a homeless shelter, now a chic apartment spread

Glad this still happened. Can anyone confirm if they will still build the addition on the back parking lot or was that the vision of the SC developers when they brought it?

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, Arctic_Tern said:

How so? Would you be able to describe it/provide pictures?

The website says,

Rather than attempting to blend and imitate history, the new building makes a statement about what is possible today, while still respecting the proportions and character of the historic building.  Careful attention was taken to touch the building lightly; a transparent circulation core bridges between the old and new structures providing a glimpse through to the shared courtyard.  The  new building floats above a glass base, touching the ground lightly in stark contrast to that of the historic heavy, grounded base of the load bearing masonry construction.

The project will restore the beauty of a historic property and serve as an intriguing conversation between the architecture and construction of the past and present.

If you look at the pictures on the site it shows a very modern building (not the understated brick one that is also shown).

http://www.viadesignarchitects.com/uploads/2/5/4/2/25421699/4475587_orig.jpg

I much, much prefer this design. It's not that the old design was bad, but this is a building that will actually stand out in downtown. There's already a beautiful historical building right next to it, there's no need to try to replicate that same style to diminishing returns. I'm all for more modern buildings in Norfolk.

• 2 weeks later...

It is kind of ugly for my tastes, but at the same time, it is better to try something new rather than try to create something that is faux historical looking. Besides, the Union Mission building is already a beautiful old building that doesn't need a faux expansion to its facade.

23 hours ago, urbanlife said:

It is kind of ugly for my tastes, but at the same time, it is better to try something new rather than try to create something that is faux historical looking. Besides, the Union Mission building is already a beautiful old building that doesn't need a faux expansion to its facade.

I like it. It's the most modern thing the city has ever approved. I'll never forgive them for rejecting Cosmo 418...

18 hours ago, lil-bear said:

I like it too. It's modern design highlights the historical architecture of the original building.

Just like they did with the Slover library. The addition is modern while also highlighting the original.

From the photos I have seen of the library, that was a beautiful renovation and expansion. That is a good looking building. But for this building next to the Union Mission, I am not saying others have to hate it, I am just saying I don't think it looks that good. (But that is based on the rendering, maybe the finished product will look better.)

I think the website is just confusing. Those renderings and accompanying text have been there for a while, it's nothing new. I'm pretty sure the modern rendering was originally proposed, but what was actually approved is the more contextual building with the before and after slide on the front page.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived