Norfolk Union Mission Expansion Progress

cpeakesqr

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it looks pretty good too. Good find.

The older modern rendering was much better. I'm not even sure what they are doing here. The base is all wrong IMO. It looks like there is a contextual addition with concrete slabs separating it from the original building.

I don't necessarily hate it as much as the renderings are just confusing me.

• 4 months later...

I received a FB message from US Development yesterday regarding the Rockefeller.  They said the last time they heard from the lender, it looked like a closing would take place in March.  They were very disappointed this has taken so long.  Either way, there's been a lot of publicity recently on this so hopefully, that really does mean they're close.

http://norfolklive.blogspot.com/2013/02/rockefeller-deal-could-be-up-next.html

I received a FB message from US Development yesterday regarding the Rockefeller.  They said the last time they heard from the lender, it looked like a closing would take place in March.  They were very disappointed this has taken so long.  Either way, there's been a lot of publicity recently on this so hopefully, that really does mean they're close.

http://norfolklive.blogspot.com/2013/02/rockefeller-deal-could-be-up-next.html

This is big for Norfolk, hope it pans out.

The rent is still a bit high if you ask me, maybe $650 for a studio would be nice and caping at $1300 would be a better range if you ask me. you want different types to be able to be in this place. Not that the builders/owners care, but that would build a lot of diversity downtown.

• 5 months later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/08/sale-norfolks-union-mission-nearing-completion

"

The contract on the old Union Mission Ministries building in downtown Norfolk has lingered in real estate purgatory for more than three years.

But late last week, some players involved in a proposal that would turn the building into apartments said they're hopeful that the deal will be finalized soon."

We are hopeful, but at least some news was made on this,  was afraid it was dead in the water...

• 1 month later...

I guess that this project is dead!

As much as I like the history behind the building, I hope that this property is razed which should make for a nice lot for development!

Perhaps some elements of the Mission can be incorporated into a new office to!wer

Why do you hope that this building will be demolished?  There is so much history in this building from its architecture to its former use as a Navy YMCA.  Not every lot in downtown should be developed as an office tower, especially when there isn't a strong market for one right now.

I actually like the building and played basketball on the court they had/have. It is actually impressive; nonetheless, I doubt that any investors are willing to spend the amount of money it will take to restore this building to it's original grandeur.

I honestly believe that there is enough land at that site where part of the mission could be razed for a new development while preserving one wing for historic purposes!  The back section of the mission served as the shelter while the front section housed paying residents thus the only section worth keeping. This would be a nice compromise.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Is this sarcasm?

This guy is the guy that tried to build Granby Tower.

I think varider is asking....due to all the projects Gaddams currently has under construction in DT Norfolk....or recently completed....wether he now has the experience, financial backing, connections within the city, a resume of successful projects, etc, that would lead him to try to either resurrect GT or consider doing something similar but smaller. But varider can correct me if I'm wrong.

I don’t see it from Buddy.  I think he learned his lesson of putting all of his eggs in one basket.  His MO has been building smaller scale projects or renovating already existing ones.  They’re a much safer bet, which has allowed him to line up more investors.  And really there are still a ton of existing properties downtown that he could get his hands on for much cheaper than building a signature tower.

• 1 month later...

Archived