WSU doesn't want MSU

detwaa84

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't understand that this would be competition for WSU? I'd personally like to see this competition, and MSU presence in Detroit, but I also understand why WSU would be wary. Regardless of what DMC says, it's quite obvious that if MSU is successful at the DMC (and I have a feeling that they will be), MSU will begin to take up residencies, and such. WSU does have good reason to be wary: the breaking of their monopoly with WSU. I think this competition would build a better DMC, but WSU does have its own interests to look after.

The competition stems from the notion that MSU students would be competing for spots in highly coveted DMC rotations e.g. at Receiving, RIM, Childrens, etc. There was a shortfall of available students at Sinai-Grace which was fine. But WSU students are mainly concerned with their downtown rotations being impeded upon.

Yes, MSU is really wanting to branch out to give its medical school more prestige and better connections, because the Lansing market is too small for them to take their medical school to the next level, here. They are going West and Southeast to connect to maginfy their recruiting power, and to connect them to bigger programs and allow them to do more things. We only have four hospitals, here in Lansing, with two acting as support hospitals to the two larger ones. They've been (MSU) limited in what they can do, here.

How the heck did Macomb Community College get part of this? This is a surprise, because I'm not exactly sure what MCC has to offer MSU. Well, if they are the one that put up a promise to build space for MSU, I guess that's all that really mattered to MSU:

MSU med school to use two Metro sites

Once competitors, Macomb Community College and the Detroit Medical Center will become hosts to Michigan State University's College of Osteopathic Medicine under a surprise plan expected to pass next week.

Impressed by their visit to both sites last week and admittedly influenced by politics, leaders of the MSU board of trustees have decided not to choose between the two finalists, but to split the osteopathic satellite campus between the Wayne and Macomb county sites with 50 students each.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...HOOLS/705080370

But, to be blunt, university moves of these huge universities are ever about the students and their opinion. What it looks like is that they shopped the plan around, and MCC was the only one that would build them the space they wanted. It all comes back to money, it seems. That's the ONLY reason I can even begin to imagine why they'd even think about moving way out to Clinton County. I think this will prove problematic, in the future, for MSU, though.

Grand Rapids fell all over themselves to get one of MSU medical colleges in one location, downtown. I guess DMC didn't want to go all in, on this, and risk further offending WSU.

A whole lot of politics is being played, here, that I believe, ultimately, will hurt MSU's chances, in the future, to fully maximize Detroit's market. Splitting them up, and this far apart, is not a smart, long-term decision. I mean, if they did have to split them, like this, at least make the satellite suburban campus at Oakland U or somewhere more respectable. Oakland U already has MSU connections.

Perhaps, I'm underestimating the growth and development potential of Macomb County. Perhaps, I'm underestimating the importance of "University Centers", these days, that act as many satellite campuses for other univerisities. I hope so, or otherwise, sending 50 students to MCC will be nothing more than a short-term gain, and a long-term blunder.

Then why are they even going before the council. What does Duggan think he will get from the meetings. WSU also lobbyied them a few days prior. Am I the only one seeing it as a waste of time, or at least it shouldn't be in the news, since it's insignificant.

Though, in this particular case, the council has no say over this decision, they are still very influential. It would be foolish not to try and sell this idea to council, as they could easily put pressure on the DMC to scrap the deal out of loyalty to WSU. When you're dealing with a deal, so big, it's good to get all of the influential parties on the same page, generally, so I wouldn't call it a waste of time. Again, there is a lot of politics being played, here, and with this many big egos, at play, it would be smart to get everyone working as closely together a possible. This is big-city and state-level politics; this isn't local child's play.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived