Jacksonville: Five Points/Riverside/Avondale

bobliocatt

The next stop on my Jacksonville tour is the Riverside neighborhood, about a mile south of downtown on the west bank of the St. Johns River. Three neighborhoods, for the most part, make up what is now known as Riverside/Avondale Historic District, the largest in Florida.

Five Points

Developed in the mid 1920's, at the interesection of Park, Lomax & Margaret Streets, Five Points serves as the main commercial district for the Riverside/Avondale neighborhood. Today, the gritty district is Jacksonville's main center for alternative & eclectic shops, as well as restuarants and bars. For more information check out www.h5p.com.

riverside-park.jpg

fivepoints-1.jpg

fivepoints.jpg

als-pizza.jpg

fivepoints-church.jpg

starbucks.jpg

publix.jpg

mossfire-grill.jpg

memorial-park-apartments.jpg

row-2.jpg

the-row.jpg

med-cafe.jpg

highrise-house.jpg

is anybody interested in a fixer-upper

fixer-upper.jpg

Riverside

Originally a suburb of Jacksonville, Riverside was laid out in 1868. The streetcar suburb, along with several others was annexed into the city in 1887. Riverside's development really took off after the Great fire of 1901 destroyed downtown. Tody its one of city's most popular and vibrant urban neighborhoods.

memorial-park.jpg

osceola-street.jpg

lucerne-apartments.jpg

st-vincents.jpg

villa-riva.jpg

infill.jpg

house-2.jpg

house-1.jpg

green-condos.jpg

church.jpg

brick-apartments.jpg

house-riverfront.jpg

memorial-park-1.jpg

Avondale

Originally the site of the Magnolia Plantation, which produced sea island cotton, Avondale was laid out as an extension of Riverside in 1884. Avondale is arguably the most exclusive neighborhood in Jacksonvillle before the land boom of the 1920's.

houses-1.jpg

old streetcar tracks

streetcar-tracks.jpg

houses.jpg

avondale-1.jpg

avondale-5.jpg

avondale-4.jpg

avondale-3.jpg

avondale-2.jpg

St. John's Avenue

Located in the heart of Avondale, St. John's Avenue is a great place to dine outdoors at unique restaurants or shop at specialty retail boutiques.

st-johns-ave-3.jpg

st-johns-ave-2.jpg

st-johns-ave-1.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Neo, this probably Jax's must urban neighborhood, other than Springfield (the semi-hood) or Durkeeville (the real hood). Its also the largest historic district in Florida. Riverside is just south of I-95 on the west side of the St. John's River. I haven't taken pics of Springfield in a while, but its just North of downtown is currently booming with reinvestment and infill development projects.

I also have about 40 pics of St. Augustine, that I need to go through still. I'll most likely end up posting what I consider the best 20.

There are no plans to revive the streetcar system. However, the city is using $100 million to buy right-of-way for a mass transit system. The last I heard, it would start off as BRT and be converted into light rail at a later date.

north/south line

ra1.gif

(Riverside would be on the east/west line, but I can only find it in PDF form.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Those are fantastic pictures of my new neighborhood! I moved from Kernan to Riverside two weeks ago and each time I drive around, I notice new and wonderful properties.

The third one under the "Riverside" section is the Lucerne Apartments, where a friend of mine lives on the third floor, on the right corner. The owner has refurbished the units and has done a great job. It's hard to drive through Riverside/Avondale without seeing renovations being done.

Archived