Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ironchapman

Atlanta's Hyatt Turns 40

11 posts in this topic

Most of you who get the AJC (or are just really well read on Atlanta's history) have probably seen this already, but I figure it deserves posting.

Apparently, an Atlanta milestone, and an architectural milestone, the Hyatt Regency Atlanta has turned 40. Let's celebrate! :yahoo::alc:

In celebration of this, the AJC has given us 40 facts we ought to know about the Hyatt. (Enjoy!)

I heard the famous restaurant is closed. What occupies that place now?

That's one of my favorite hotels. I had the pleasure of staying there for several days in 1986.

I was only five years old when it opened but I remember in school all the publicity that was centered around the first hotel in the world to have a multi-story atrium. I think it was Highlife Magazine. That's how I learned about world renouned architect John Portman, and have been following his work ever since.

Most of you who get the AJC (or are just really well read on Atlanta's history) have probably seen this already, but I figure it deserves posting.

Apparently, an Atlanta milestone, and an architectural milestone, the Hyatt Regency Atlanta has turned 40. Let's celebrate! :yahoo::alc:

In celebration of this, the AJC has given us 40 facts we ought to know about the Hyatt. (Enjoy!)

I heard the famous restaurant is closed. What occupies that place now?

Another restaurant that is still under the blue bubble that lights up at night, and oh yea, the restaurant still revolves.

I remember now IC, The Polaris restaurant is what you were thinking of.

Great pictures IC, I hope that the Polaris will be able to open back up even though I haven't been there. It just seems sort of sad such an iconic restaurant had to close due to the Sundial competition