The Greensboro Triumph Center

cityboi

The cat is finally out of the bag! an out of town development company is looking at several sites in downtown Greensboro that would be the largest complex the center-city has ever seen! The complex would inlude a high-rise hotel, restaurants, entertainment venues, residential, office and retail space. so I kinda guessed it right. I said a hotel could be part of it. some of the sites being considered are

1 directly next to First Horizon Park behind left feild

2 the large Duke Power site next to the Childrens Museum

3 a site between Market and Friendly Streets

apparently this is a MAJOR project because the unnamed out of town developer is looking at a few other cities so this is not a done deal but based on the size and scope of this project, we could see more than one high-rise in this project. This would be a HUGE DEAL for downtown Greensboro. The entertainment venues could turn out being venues such as "The house of Blues" since this project is being considered for other cites. But this is very early and is not a done deal

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...C0101/305030004

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The great thing is that developemnt is not only on Elm Street but is all over downtown now. The high-rise(s) in the project is interesting as well because if indeed the project moves forward, it will be the first time a tower would be proposed away from the Elm/Greene Street area and expanding Greensboro's skyline from east to west. Thats good because Greensboro would no longer have a linear skyline and would be more like Winston's in that regard. Of course Roy Carroll has potential plans for a taller tower next to Center Pointe so we could finally be seeing some towers being built in downtown Greensboro that will really improve Greensboro's skyline.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Greensboro is really on the brink of some big things... more than what many give credit for. I think the city will have a COMPLETELY different feel come 2020!! To list only a few projects to be completed by then:

Shops at Friendly

Urban Loop

Britt Way Village (proposed mall in SE Greensboro across from new Wal-Mart)

S. Elm improvements

The slew of other downtown projects (Kavanagh, Market St, Centerpoint and it's sister, Southside, etc)

HondaJet and Triad Tower... I also think PTI will come back to life as well

HOT?

Please don't blast me.... but am I being pessimistic if I'm certain that this project will pass us by? I'd love for it to happen, but seeing as how some downtown projects here and there haven't happened, I'm a bit worried. I know it's early.

Although this deal is preliminary, it's still pretty darn exciting; sounds like it could be Greensboro's version of the Epicentre project under construction in Charlotte.

My gut feeling as that if this moves forward, it will be built next to First Horizon Park. I also think more than one high-rise could be a part of this development. Details still have not been released though. for example in the entertainment aspect of it, would it include a multiplex theater? or venues such as House of Blues? within the next 6 months we should find out.

I've been thinking.....since other cities are being considered for this, it leads me to believe that this could be some kind of "themed" urban development that could be designed to attract tourists which combines residential and office. Entertainment seems to be a big part of the project and "Florida" was mentioned as a site. It wouldnt make sense for this "development company" to scout for cities throughout the south for merely a hotel/residential development.......ummmmm I wonder. Could this project be much bigger in nature than we realize? The "development company" appears to be showing HIGH interest in downtown Greensboro because its narrowed down sites. I have a few ideas running around in my head what this could really be because I dont think we've been told the whole story yet. I wont mentioned them but and if im correct, this is HUGE for not just downtown but for Greensboro and would REALLY help increase downtown develpment

I would *love* to see something on Davie Street, though it doesn't really seem like that's an option. Something on all four corners of Davie and Washington would be my preference, because I love the train station and I'd really like to see it better integrated with Greensboro's urban fabric. But regardless, this sounds like a great thing for Greensboro and I hope the developers follow through.

Greensboro may be the front runner because I have not heard anything like this mentioned on news media from other southern cities. I just have a strange feeling this is really going to be a HUGE project, and not just in physical size. The paper said "The development company has to decide wether this will work in Greensboro", not just downtown. That tells me its not just a hotel and condos. This gives us a hint what the city could be dealing with here.

I'm sure you all have seen my post in the other related thread regarding this new development, so you know how interested I am in this. :thumbsup: Having said that, I now am far more interested in this development because of the timing (is it merely a coincidence?) and the tentative nature surrounding the multi-city "competition" to land this deal. While I would love to hope that this is something completely different from the possible massive development in Greenville, my gut says there could very likely be a connection, since both are having to be negotiated and both involve mixed-use projects that could be in multiple locations, not specifically downtown alone. Keep my fingers crossed!!! :shades:

Im constantly reminded by this statement in the News & Record "The development company has to decide wether this will work in Greensboro and downtown." so its a BIG DEAL what ever it is, especially since its multi-city competition and the company is not publically identifying itself. Something in this development has to create a demand for a new highrise hotel in downtown Greensboro.

yea it could have something with General Nathaniel Greene,lol, as both Greensboro and Greenville were named after him.

Well, we now know Greenville is one of the competing cities. Go G-Vegas. :lol:

According the Greenville web links that were provided, The developer for that project is from Florida too. Sounds like the same project. LOL its got to be a Downtown Disney District. Disney just announced in February that they were looking into creating Disney urban centers in downtown districts of cities that would have "local character". It has to be something big like that to have all these cities competing for it. I know its alot more than just a hotel, condos and restaurants because those can be built in any of the states mentioned.

Rays Gibbs' reaction worries me.

well he said it will be a challenge to get everything in a timely manner but he indicates its doable. My guess is that the city is working behind the scenes with Ray Gibbs to make it happen.

^^^We already passed a butt-load of potential incentives here in Greenville. We also have plenty of large sites downtown including county square and the gateway site. Gsupstate said that a new interchange might have to be built off of an interstate for this project., but that's just a rumor. Will be interesting to see who it is. Oh, please let it be Disney. :)

Its anybodies guess. I do know that this developer has narrowed down a few sites in downtown Greensboro so its not a done deal for any city thats involved.

This all sounds very exciting. If I were the city leaders of Greensboro, I'd get my act together "NOW" and work hard to get this project. Cover all the bases and not screw up and lose something that may really change the face of downtown. I recall the 15 story building to be built near the ballpark that we missed out on because the city didn't have it act together. Please don't lose this one guys!

Here is the story about this project from TBJ

http://triad.bizjournals.com/triad/stories...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

I find it very interesting they want 2 to 12 acers. This is either going to be very "vertical" or "spread out"! If they need

12 acers, what about that "junk yard" at South Elm and Lee Street?? I realize a master plan has already been developed for that area. However if this is such a mega project, this could be a great fit for South Elm. The master plan is a proposed game plan for the area's future. This mega project is the real thing...here and now! I say scrap the original plans for South Elm and go with this! :thumbsup:

OK, let's get something straight here. At this point, there is absolutely NO INDICATION WHATSOEVER that the proposed Greenville development and the development proposed for Greensboro are one and the same. First of all, the investment figure for the Greenville development is over $2 billion (yes, billion) and involves a Florida-based company and a company with a presence in South Carolina. Furthermore, there are three components to that project, and they are all interdependent (one can't happen without the others). These do not sound like the same projects at all.

G-man, stop presenting speculation as fact when you have absolutely nothing to back it up.

That is absolutely true, krazeeboi. I wish he would be more mature about handling rumors vs. facts. Most of his information is based on rumor or speculation, which should always be cautiously examined or even ignored.

I mentioned what I did merely out of interest that this project sounds large and is similar to at least one proposed in Greenville. I truly hope that both are independent and will happen in each city and not just one. That would be fantastic for the Green cities of the South! :shades:

Archived