The Greensboro Triumph Center

cityboi

I don't think it's Disney personally. You mentioned "themed development", "development company is in Florida", and ""entertainment complex" geared towards families, kids and singles". They're all very nonspecific ideas and I think it's a serious stretch to think that Disney is involved with this thing. Anything is possible, but I highly doubt it.

LOL well maybe its Six Flags :rofl:

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow this is funny. I've never seen a thread in the Triad section filled will members almost all day. I do think this could be the mother of all downtown developments in Greensboro and if it happens, downtown has nothing to worry about and because of this development, some of the things that wouldnt be ready for downtown Greensboro until about 10 or 20 years from now might be ready far sooner.

One thing is for sure, if and when this project go through, it will gain at least national attention and hopefully bring in more high rise buildings. Just like Charlotte's projects are gaining international attention.

sometimes it takes one big thing to happen before you begin to see major change. The question is, is the city ready for it? Greensboro has always had a reputation for not accepting change and especially rapid change.

I do know that some of the major Greensboro Bloggers that ALWAYS mention major things that happen in the city have said nothing about this which leads me to think some of them know what it is and they are just not saying anything about it. This seems to be more secret than a Dell computer factory coming to the Triad. Its really weird

thats because you are thinking about Mickey Mouse ears, cindarella's castle and Dumbo. I think Disney could pull something off thats very authentic for Greensboro.

No I'm not!!! :whistling:

Seriously though, it isn't that, it would be the whole themepark aspect that I find questionable, a major entertainment complex is fine (with caveats of course), themepark not fine. It IMHO would be very gimmicky and not quite fitting for a DT, or a place that is old and had a history like GSO [the themepark theme].

Also, you mentioned that you associate with bloggers who are unusually silent on this - is it because they are bound to silence or holding their breath? No sarcasm/hostility there, just an honest question, I'll be less suspicious when more is known about this.

No I'm not!!! :whistling:

Seriously though, it isn't that, it would be the whole themepark aspect that I find questionable, a major entertainment complex is fine (with caveats of course), themepark not fine. It IMHO would be very gimmicky and not quite fitting for a DT, or a place that is old and had a history like GSO [the themepark theme].

Also, you mentioned that you associate with bloggers who are unusually silent on this - is it because they are bound to silence or holding their breath? No sarcasm/hostility there, just an honest question, I'll be less suspicious when more is known about this.

If you look into what Disney is doing. they arent planning to plop themparks with rides and downtown areas they are "Disney theme" but they are more like an entertainment complex much like Downtown Disney. I could have this all wrong. Disney may not be assciated with this whats so ever but im just trying to put out ideas of what this could turn out being since there is so much hype about the deal. Its hard to imagine so much hype just over a high-rise hotel, some residential.

Went back and reread some of the materials, watched the video, my take is that GSO is so unused to speculation and major interest that we may be jumping the gun a little here. To quote Gibbs, "... it is so premature to talk about this...".

But, assuming this does come to fruition, and with the size and grandeur that is being predicted, I just hope it does not overwhelm Gibbs, the city and the planning department until they are rolling out red carpet and kneeling to these new gods - oversight and objectivity will still be required. That said, I hope I'm here in 5 years to comment on it. :)

sometimes it takes one big thing to happen before you begin to see major change. The question is, is the city ready for it? Greensboro has always had a reputation for not accepting change and especially rapid change.

I do know that some of the major Greensboro Bloggers that ALWAYS mention major things that happen in the city have said nothing about this which leads me to think some of them know what it is and they are just not saying anything about it. This seems to be more secret than a Dell computer factory coming to the Triad. Its really weird

I think the reason they have said nothing is because of rules that come with their job description. Until the company makes a final decission then can they release vague commentary about the project. On the other had, GSO has always been open to change its just the city leaders that vote not to change. I think the city is ready for and need it. GSO needs a lot of major buisness in the downtown to hold onto the graduating classes of our major Universities. Will this project do it, who knows, but it may spur other buisnesses to come in and anchor in college grads. Like the ballpark, people will have reservations about it but once and if it goes through the reservations will go away and Greensboro will benifit.

Just to throw one more log in the fire, if this project goes through, will Ray Carol go through with the rumored tower :whistling:

I think the reason they have said nothing is because of rules that come with their job description. Until the company makes a final decission then can they release vague commentary about the project. On the other had, GSO has always been open to change its just the city leaders that vote not to change. I think the city is ready for and need it. GSO needs a lot of major buisness in the downtown to hold onto the graduating classes of our major Universities. Will this project do it, who knows, but it may spur other buisnesses to come in and anchor in college grads. Like the ballpark, people will have reservations about it but once and if it goes through the reservations will go away and Greensboro will benifit.

Just to throw one more log in the fire, if this project goes through, will Ray Carol go through with the rumored tower :whistling:

That all depends on the magnitude and scope of this project. The project could actually spur more interest for people to live downtown and push a "Center Pointe II" tower ahead meaning even another skyscraper for downtown Greensboro. It really depends on the nature of the development and its amenities. We do know that "Project X" has at least one tower in this potential proposal and thats the hotel but who knows this project could have a condo tower or two or multiple hotels in it as well. Maybe even a major aquarium. No one knows except for those who are keeping this more secret than Area 51. I am VERY aware that this project is not a done deal and is really in the preliminary stages of "discussions" not planning. Anything can happen. The developer could decide not to go with this plan anywhere. This is a VERY complicated deal here that would involve many parties. However this is Greensboro's project to lose according to Ray Gibbs, meaning Greensboro is the frontrunner over the other locations in Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida.

That all depends on the magnitude and scope of this project. The project could actually spur more interest for people to live downtown and push that potential project ahead meaning even another tower for downtown Greensboro. It really depends on the nature of the development and its amenities. We do know that "Project X" has at least one tower in this potential proposal and thats the hotel but who know this project could have a condo tower or two in it as well. No one knows except for those who are keeping this more secret than Area 51.

Im about to bust just waiting to hear if we get it. :wacko:

i doubt that they do

im probabally going to sound like a broken record here but I say all that because hundreds of thousands of dollars were spent just to see if Greensboro could sustain a project like this and the fact that the "Florida Developement Company" has said they have to see if Greensboro and downtown can support this. What could this be to have to figure out if the city can support this?

checklist of some elements rumored to be a part of this development:

1 MAJOR HOTEL - we know Greensboro can support it

2 MAJOR RETAIL - we know Greensboro can support it

3 NIGHTCLUBS/ENTERTAINMENT VENUES - We know Greensboro can support it

4 RESTAURANTS - we know Greensboro can support it

5 OFFICE SPACE - we know Greensboro can support it

6 CONDOS - we know Greensboro can support it

7 SUPERMARKET - We know Greensboro can support it

again I ask why is the developer saying that they have to see if Greensboro (not just downtown) can support this? obviously its something you'd expect to see in a BIG CITY and part of that tells me its the very nature of the kind of retail and entertainment attractions. That all tells me there could be some venues like House of Blues or Hard Rock involved. Its the only thing I can think of to have to determine if Greensboro can support it....but I could be all wrong. There could also be some MAJOR developments that werent mentioned in the rumored list above.

Also, Why would several states be fighting just to get a hotel, some residential and maybe a few nightclubs? It just doesnt make any sense and everyone should be scratching their heads about this. right now its just a wait and see game. first we are waiting to see if this development is coming to Greensboro, then the nature and scope of this project will be revealed to us

as for as what I would expect to be a part of this development, im 90% sure that a multiplex theater would be included in this development. At the very least that.

As for #2, I wouldn't so readily say that Greensboro can support major retail downtown, especially when its neighbor to the south, which has a much higher downtown population and a greater momentum downtown, can't sustain that just yet. For #6, it depends on the price points and the quantity; that's what will make the difference. If we're talking about 75 units going for $500K and up, I would say no, Greensboro isn't quite ready for that yet. Hopefully, they would be more on the affordable end.

Also, to be a bit more technical, several states aren't "fighting" to get this development; rather, sites in cities in several states are being evaluated.

As for #2, I wouldn't so readily say that Greensboro can support major retail downtown, especially when its neighbor to the south, which has a much higher downtown population and a greater momentum downtown, can't sustain that just yet. For #6, it depends on the price points and the quantity; that's what will make the difference. If we're talking about 75 units going for $500K and up, I would say no, Greensboro isn't quite ready for that yet. Hopefully, they would be more on the affordable end.

Also, to be a bit more technical, several states aren't "fighting" to get this development; rather, sites in cities in several states are being evaluated.

thanks for the correction but even still why would several states be a part of this selection. It just seems odd to me. Its almost like this is designed to be a some sort of destination/tourist development and Ralboi has given us some hints that the larger plan of this would turn Greensboro into a destination city. as for the retail, downtown would certainly be an issue but the city as a whole can support stores like the Gap. the developer seem to be pondering over the idea wether or not this will even work in Greensboro all together so its not just about wether downtown can support this. another mystery is the number of projects. city leaders and Ralboi have hinted that there are several BIG projects which combined creates one mega project. Ralboi talks of potentially 5 BIG projects in this thread. Thats really the biggest mystery. what these projects could be. But just think of the spinn-off effect a project like this could have for downtown. It could intice other developers to consider major residential projects for downtown.

Maybe it will include an ESPN ZONE...if this project is as big as we hope, there should be no problem in drawing people from all over the Triad to downtown Greensboro. The Triad metro is about 1.5 million and if it attracted people from the other metros in NC; the, Traingle and Charlotte , I think that GSO would be more than capable of hosting a project of this magnitude. It's really time for GSO and Winston ( the entire Triad) to get in the mix of rapid growth that the Triangle and Charlotte has seen over the past few years. Whatever this project is they have effectively gotten the public in great anticipation in a matter of days!

Maybe it will include an ESPN ZONE...if this project is as big as we hope, there should be no problem in drawing people from all over the Triad to downtown Greensboro. The Triad metro is about 1.5 million and if it attracted people from the other metros in NC; the, Traingle and Charlotte , I think that GSO would be more than capable of hosting a project of this magnitude. It's really time for GSO and Winston ( the entire Triad) to get in the mix of rapid growth that the Triangle and Charlotte has seen over the past few years. Whatever this project is they have effectively gotten the public in great anticipation in a matter of days!

I agree. The potential development is obviuosly counting on a regional draw, not just from Greensboro. But it seems like one thing is for sure. If it happens, we wiill get at least one tower out of this....remember I said a while back, if Greensboro got another tower, it would be a surprise. That actually may be the case here. As far as we know, there may be more than one tower in this plan. If Greensboro gets this, you have to give the city props for having the downtown in this state that has turned around the fastest.

I agree. The potential development is obviuosly counting on a regional draw, not just from Greensboro. But it seems like one thing is for sure. If it happens, we wiill get at least one tower out of this....remember I said a while back, if Greensboro got another tower, it would be a surprise. That actually may be the case here. As far as we know, there may be more than one tower in this plan. If Greensboro gets this, you have to give the city props for having the downtown in this state that has turned around the fastest.

Would it be safe to say that if there will be more than one tower that one of the towers is probably a headquarters. That could be why the project is so secrective.

Not trying to be rude, but Greensboro could not even support a NASCAR cafe. I therefore declare this thread DOA !!!

Would it be safe to say that if there will be more than one tower that one of the towers is probably a headquarters. That could be why the project is so secrective.

Actually I thought about that. I though it could be a MAJOR company looking to relocate its headquarters to Greensboro and its part of the project or it could be a local company like the FNB Bank headqaurters after the LSB Merger. That could be what Ralboi meant when he said he could see Greensboro and the Triad regaining its position in the state. This would be specualtion but you never know. Its interesting that we both thought of the same thing. But my gut feeling tells me that in this project there can potentially be more than one tower. That may even be likely if the larger plans are chosen and we could even be surprised by the height or the number of towers in the project. But we know we would get at least one tower out of this.

Not trying to be rude, but Greensboro could not even support a NASCAR cafe. I therefore declare this thread DOA !!!

NASCAR Cafe was in a poor location. its was isolated way out in the parking lot at Four Seasons Town Centre and you could barely see it from the interstate. The food wasnt expensive so the failure of NASCAR Cafe doesnt mean Greensboro cant support others themed restaurants....I do believe if NASCAR Cafe were built downtown it would still be open. Closings of restaurants in the downtown area are very rare.

Actually I thought about that. I though it could be a MAJOR company looking to relocate its headquarters to Greensboro and its part of the project or it could be a local company like the FNB Bank headqaurters after the LSB Merger. That could be what Ralboi meant when he said he could see Greensboro and the Triad regaining its position in the state.

Trust me, from the sounds of this project I would like to see Greensboro to land it (unless, of course, Rock Hill is also in the running :D), but if it is being implied that one $150 million dollar project is going to propel Greensboro and the Triad back to the top of the economic food chain in NC, forget it.

Archived