The Greensboro Triumph Center

cityboi

I wonder what other cities/states are competing for this, because I haven't heard anything coming from other cities about a development like this. Then again, they may not be paying it as much attention.

I know what you mean...ive been looking for other cities too. they are probabally being secret about it too and maybe it hasnt leaked to their local medias yet. This sounds like something that has just started. Ray Gibbs said its early and in discussion stage. They havent even requested for incentives yet and there are no blueprints. Ray Gibbs said we were cometeing against alot of cities and that we (Greensboro) have a really good chance .

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The saga continues.......while the Florida developers wants to include the ACC Hall of Champions and their MASSIVE downtown complex, it appears that a major hotel is interested in the site next to the coliseum. The hotel would include space or the hall of champions but local leaders arent taking that seriously. Likely the hotel would not include the hall of champions. If the site becomes a hotel, then downtown would become the primary focus for the Hall of Champions. I find it amazing though that the ACC Hall of Champions and NASCAR Hall of Fame were proposed about the same time. The NASCAR Hall already has funding and construction has begun while the ACC hall still just a proposal.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EC0101/70524047

I cant wait to find out what this downtown project is!

"Ray Gibbs of Downtown Greensboro Inc. did say "project X" is the biggest deal he's ever been associated with. Gibbs also said hundreds of thousands of dollars are spent conducting studies to see if the city (as a whole) could sustain something as big as "project X"."

"something HUGE is on the horizon for downtown Greensboro......bigger than George Clooney.....something SO BIG it would cause as much comotion as a Chris Daughtry concert"

432153669_4739889b02.jpg

432143803_35506edb9b.jpg

^ Be nice if this project was proposed downtown or the interest parties showed interest downtown. Although this will help move the High Point/Lee Street project ahead and bring value to that section of town.

They also need to tear down the coliseum motel across the street. It looks like a meeting place for hookers.

They also need to tear down the coliseum motel across the street. It looks like a meeting place for hookers.

I believe it is and I use to go to the bar below it to see rock bands and hang with one of my friends. I never had a comfortable feeling at that hotel/bar. To be honest that whole section from Patterson to Flordia street needs to go.

I believe it is and I use to go to the bar below it to see rock bands and hang with one of my friends. I never had a comfortable feeling at that hotel/bar. To be honest that whole section from Patterson to Flordia street needs to go.

raze it all! then there is an adult club nearby to and its right across the street from a church.

One of the plans for "part" of this mystery downtown project has been described as a bigger version of Peabody Place in downtown Memphis to something thats bigger than Peabody place and Charlotte's EpiCentre combined. It was also said that the project could be bigger in scope than the EpiCentre meaning this secret project could have more than some nightclubs, restaurants, bowling alley and a movie theatre....to give you an idea of the size and to show you the magnitude of this potential Greensboro project here are some pics of Peabody Place Entertainment/shopping complex in downtown Memphis

427949397_2fd7ad6fcf_o.jpg

379233601_bc7c63d4fd_b.jpg

295705299_aa21de35bb_o.jpg

223181058_28dc492beb_b.jpg

114307302_ebce4599bb.jpg

103932270_6a4bd295b3_o.jpg

76602812_2347c61bf8.jpg

ss3.jpg

ss4.jpg

ss5.jpg

ss8.jpg

ss9.jpg

Greensboro's project could potentially be much bigger than this should the developers select the largest of the three plans. My bet as the project would have a mutlitplex theater and bowling alley. The mega project is divied into 5 big projects so maybe there is a possiblity of an office tower in this project as well.

It seems like something bigger than Peabody Place would overwhelm downtown in a way, being that Greensboro doesn't have the density downtown of other cities of similar size. Something along the scale of Peabody Place would be fitting IMO.

More sites for this project have been identified. The ones that we know of are:

1) Bellemeade Village Site: which is a big tract of land next to the ballpark that is spilt by Smith Street.

2) Duke Power Site: next to the Childrens museum at the corner of Church St and Friendly Avenue. That site would include land across the street between Friendly Ave and Market Streets

Two more sites have been identified:

1) The big parking lot on Washington Street across the street from the depot (multi-modal hub) . The site is bounded by Washington, Davie and Church Street with the News & Record to the north.

2) County land (Guilford Behavioral Center) which is directly south of the ballpark and id bounded by Friendly Ave and Eugene and Bellemeade Streets

Another detail that has been revealed is that the scaled up version could produce as much as 400 permanant jobs and that the developer had looked at Charlotte and Raleigh but saw similar projects in the works in those cities. Again Ray Gibbs of Downtown Greensboro, Inc stated that if the local government can do things in a timely fashion, they will build here. The developer would ask for incentives in the form of sidewalk street infrastructure and a parking deck. While the developer is from Florida, the project is being spearhead by a local unidentified developer. (This cant be Roy Carroll because this local developer has never done deals downtown) I think all sites are great sites. two of the sites would create synergy around the ballpark. One site would be next to the Children's Museum in the cultural district and the other near the depot which I like alot because in a way the hotels in the development would become hub hotels for the depot where there will eventually be commutter rail and high speed rail. The depot is already the hub for Amtrak, taxis, city and coach bus.

One thing that struck me was that the developer said they are looking for a town that wants them and is willing to make it happen. that comment alone tells the potetnial magnitude of the project and that the very nature of the project could be bigger than we imagine.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EC0101/70527001

Beth from Greensboring.com has an idea what this development might be...it may not an urban Downtown Disney but Disney's arch rival "Universal Citywalk". Her idea is that since Universal owns Wet' N Wild and that a Wet' N Wild waterpark is in Greensboro, Orlando based Universal could be planning a "real life" Ciity Walk entertainment district similar to what Disney is planning to do. Beth says it makes sense because of the Triad's deep roots in the film industry. She say Universal is rumored to be planning a third American themepark and according to Beth maybe a complimentary downtown entertainment complex...now PLEASE dont put words in my mouth folks! but that does kinda tie in with what my source told me..."it has to do with the area's history" We know the development company is in Florida and there is specualtion this company is in Orlando based on a source. One other thing. There are only two Wet' N Wild Water parks in the country. The one in Greensboro and the one in Orlando which is a part of Universal Studios Florida. Universal has thememparks in two of the country's movie making states. Rumors are that Universal is planning a third US themempark and North Carolina is the country's 2nd largest movie making state. If Universal is going to build a third theme park it would make sense to build it in an area or state known for film making. LOL maybe that what downtown Greensboro club owner Joey Medaloni meant when he said in 10 years he could see Greensboro becoming the Los Angeles of the east coast!

From Beth

"City walk is owned by Universal!, Wet-N-Wild who currently owns Emerald Pointe is owned by Universal. Not only that but, Universal has been actively expanding it's theme parks from Dubai to Korea, and has been rumored to be searching for a location for a 3rd American theme park. Coupled with North Carolina's film business, and being the second largest movie producing state in the country. Could City Walk Greensboro coupled with Wet-N-Wild, be the beginnings of Universal Studios Carolina? "

http://greensboring.com/viewtopic.php?t=5442

What?! The Triad has deep roots in film making? :huh:

well at the very least NC...but yes. a number of movies were filmed in the Triad. (Children of the Corn, Hellraiser 3, Cabin Fever, The Trouble with Frank, Leatherheads, ect) I know of two movies that filmed scenes in downtown Greensboro which are Hellraizer III and The Trouble with Frank. In Hellraiser III they blew up a police car in front of the Jefferson Pilot-Building in a scene where a woman named "Joey" was running down Elm Street. Winston-Salem has North Carolina's School of the Arts which has a major film making program (the best in the state)

I knew about NSCA (live in Winston) but just categorized that as indie/educational work, not national work like I interpreted what the website said. You hardly ever hear the Triad known nationwide as a top place to make movies, is what I was getting at.

I knew about NSCA (live in Winston) but just categorized that as indie/educational work. You hardly ever hear the Triad known nationwide as a top place to make movies, is what I was getting at.

no but NC is......theoretically if Universal were building a themepark in the state, they would build it near the center of the state and probabally want to take advantage of the only freestanding water park in NC (Wet'nWild Emerad Pointe) BUT IM NOT SAYING universal is eyeing NC. just posted the idea from another person.

Does anyone know if there is any latest news on this possible project?

believe me I wish I did. If find out anything, I'll imediately post any info I hear. We wont know the full nature of this project until about 3 to 6 months which is when the developer will make a decision on it but I reckon the info will slowly leak out by the media between now and then. But its a long wait I know..lets just hope this thing happens.

well triad talk says the "colossal"(sp) project could have a cluster of highrises/midrises, and that the developers are international. also the value could exceed $150 mill! ..basically everything cityboi has been saying all along.

are you serious??!! please provide links :) Well I was told by a source that if the largest themed version got built, it could dramatically alter Greensboro's skyline One question I do have is how did the developers go from being Florida Developers to Internatiional developers? unless both Florida and International developers are involved with this. If that true, no wonder Ralboi was so excited about this. He still knows more than all of us. Maybe HondaJet put us on the map LOL

more info. according to another source, one reason why the potential development includes two luxury hotels (500 rooms and 60 rooms) is because this massive development also includes a convention center. I do question how the city can support two major convention centers. But nevertheless a downtown convention center would be great especially in close proximity to the train station. Also the local developer thats involved wants this development to attract people as far away as Fayetteville and even Greenville, SC

another forumer from another site said he picked up this weeks Triad Business Journal and it talked more about this project

he says:

"this weeks "The Business Journal" has an awesome article about Project X. I picked one up this morning at Borders on H.P. road. It mentions a possible cluster of mid-high rise buildings, nondisclosure agreements that several city officials had to sign, creation of an all in one tourist/convention destination for the southeast region, Gibbs being retained to work on the project, and said that if and when plans are announced - peoples' "jaws are going to drop" ! Good Reading !!!"

This must be what Ralboi meant when he said "Massive Region Changing Project" I think we'll be even more shocked about this once ALL the details are revealed. This project would definately change Greensboro's image and could lead to bigger things for the city. Greensboro is indeed a sleeping giant that others have underestimated. This project seems to be so big that even cities like Atlanta would envy Greensboro for it.

I know this may be slightly off-topic but didn't Busch Gardens consider building in the Triad (I think where the Grandover Resort is now) and for some reason it ended up in Williamsburg, VA instead? I am pretty sure Greensboro was their first choice. If the Triad was considered for a major theme park before (I think that was the 70's), I am sure it has more potential now.

The project could now top $200 million. One thing that wont be a part of this development is the ACC museum. Now I dont know if that because city leaders are working on the coliseum site or what.

More details have emerged though. Ray Gibbs says that plans have progressed to the point that offers could be made on land within the next week to 10 days. Gibbs says he understood the skeptism because he was skeptical at first but he has worked with the project enough to know its real. even though he left DGI last week he will still work on this project because he said he may never have a chance in his life to work on something this big.

-The highrise luxury hotel is now 300 to 600 rooms.

-50 room luxury boutique hotel

- several of the entertainment venues could hold between 500 and 2,500 people. and the complex would have multiple restaurants (btw the average House of Blues seats over 2,000 people)

- residential units could be between 150 and 250 and inlcude rental units and luxury condos (another possible highrise in the project)

- alot more office space is envisioned (which means the potential for an office tower)

- an IMAX theater could be a part of this project

- also a convention center

- local, Florida and international developers are involved (very complex deal)

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EC0101/70603003

I just read the article. Ray said that if we don't see some action in the next 60 days, this probably won't happen. Let's hope we hear some news about an intent to buy soon.

I agree. The best site to move this project along quickly is probablly the Jones brothers ballpark site. local leaders are aware of what this project will do for Greensboro so I imagine they are on the ball with this. Something must be happening because this is moving along quicker than people thought. The city may be trying to seal the deal. Judging by the latest info, apparently they are going all out for the LARGEST version of this project in which developers could have even added things to the large plan. more developers are getting involved to make this thing even bigger. This could potentially be the largest urban project in North Carolina.

Archived