The Greensboro Triumph Center

cityboi

well it looks like its being called "project x" any time its titled as a project its a big deal! FOX 8 News mention this tonight and they said hotels. So does this mean the project is going to have more than one hotel? This is getting more amazing by the hour! WGHP said Ray Gibbs, his group and the city is doing everything it can to get land ready for this Massive project

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

video link

http://www.myfoxwghp.com/myfox/MyFox/pages...mp;locale=EN-US

another article link

http://www.myfoxwghp.com/myfox/pages/Home/...mp;pageId=1.1.1

according to sources this project dwarfs the Epic Centre in Charlotte (not neccissarily in height but tower(s) would be involved) and Greensboro IS indeed the frontrunner. according to sources Greensboro is a good location because of its central loction between Charlotte and Raleigh and that this would be MASSIVE REGION CHANGING PROJECT. The project is so big, hundreds of thousands of dollars are being spent conducting studies to see if Greensboro can sustain this development. This one project could put downtown development and growth into a fast track overdrive. another factor Greensboro is a fronterunner according to sources has to do with the city's history, what ever that means. It was stated that if Greensboro wins this thing, It could change the Triad into a real destination area.

A note about the "Project X" name: that was given to this project from the Fox news station. I think when the city officially names the project, it will be much closer to being a reality.

Also, it has been stated that there are several versions of this project and that one of them in particular "dwarfs EpiCentre in size and scope." I think that needs to be clarified so that if one of the other versions is the one that gets built, no one is disappointed. :thumbsup:

A note about the "Project X" name: that was given to this project from the Fox news station. I think when the city officially names the project, it will be much closer to being a reality.

Also, it has been stated that there are several versions of this project and that one of them in particular "dwarfs EpiCentre in size and scope." I think that needs to be clarified so that if one of the other versions is the one that gets built, no one is disappointed. :thumbsup:

it was said by another forumer that hed be glad to get the smallest version of it. But Ray Gibbs said the land is available for what ever is planned. I think once this is finally revealed its going to shock everyone

I also stated I would KILL to even have a scaled down verison of the smallest one which is about the same size of EpicCentre with the option to build a tower, or a bigger version of peabody place in Memphis, to something that is bigger than the two projects I just mentioned combined and then some(SMALL CITY) :whistling: , I don't think anybody in Greensboro will be disappointed in any of the plans but of course anyone would want the biggest one, but the truth is even the smallest one is HUGE for Greensboro as far as a Urban Project goes.Greensboro this is not a SLAMDUNK for you, your city leaders need to step it up!!! Another Hint all five Projects can be one mega project or you can get one out of five get what am saying.

I also stated I would KILL to even have a scaled down verison of the smallest one which is about the same size of EpicCentre with the option to build a tower, or a bigger version of peabody place in Memphis, to something that is bigger than the two projects I just mentioned combined and then some(SMALL CITY) :whistling: , I don't think anybody in Greensboro will be disappointed in any of the plans but of course anyone would want the biggest one, but the truth is even the smallest one is HUGE for Greensboro as far as a Urban Project goes.Greensboro this is not a SLAMDUNK for you, your city leaders need to step it up!!! Another Hint all five Projects can be one mega project or you can get one out of five get what am saying.
Just so you know am not slipping two local developers who are in the Greensboro area,might partner with the out of state developers depending on land deals this will be the real key to the size of this potentional MEGA project if BUILT.

^^^How is it going to be that big if it is only going to cost $50-$150 million? :dontknow:
Yeah the smallest plan might cost that much, this thing is complex man, meaning it has several or plans or forms , depending on alot of things happening like land deals, potentional partners , the citys will to give up incentives, it really does have a final cost yet and the media doesn't know all the details of this potentional MEGA project TRUST!!!!

^^^Is this the same $2.4 billion one being proposed for Greenville?

Since he seems to be in the know, he might actually know the answer to that.

It also appears we're getting a bit more information from RALBOI than we're getting from the media.

well he said it will be a challenge to get everything in a timely manner but he indicates its doable. My guess is that the city is working behind the scenes with Ray Gibbs to make it happen.

Here is something else to consider. Ray Gibbs last day on the job is June 1st. He has less than a month to do what is necessary to get this project to Greensboro! But if he can help pull it off, what a way to go out!

These statements from the article show that cautious optimism is the order of the day:

"You have a bunch of 'ifs' there," said Ray Gibbs, the president of Downtown Greensboro Inc. "If (the developer) would come to Greensboro; if they would build this project; if the ACC (museum) would come there. ... If you factor them together, it's a gigantic 'if.'"

"I think we have a good chance," Gibbs said. "But if we have trouble putting the land together or if the (governmental) approval processes are too tedious or take too long, I think they will go somewhere else.

I've got my fingers crossed for G-boro, but it appears as though it's too far out to tell if this will be a reality any time soon.

it was said by another forumer that hed be glad to get the smallest version of it. But Ray Gibbs said the land is available for what ever is planned. I think once this is finally revealed its going to shock everyone
I don't mind if this project is big as far as footprint, though I'd hate to see something that spans several blocks and tears up the street grid in the process. I guess he'll have to wait until more is known but let's hope that the grid can remain intact (so basically multiple structures).

GSO certainly does have a lazier approach to winning projects/steering growth to it than Charlotte and Raleigh, so I suppose there is a danger that leadership isn't going to go out of their way to win this. That said, a take-it-or-leave-it attitude may insure that the project is truly "Urban", and not a collection of poorly designed crap because we are desperate to have the project in the first place.

Man, I really sound negative with my posting lately, what gives. :dontknow:

These statements from the article show that cautious optimism is the order of the day:

I've got my fingers crossed for G-boro, but it appears as though it's too far out to tell if this will be a reality any time soon.

well the developer wants to move quickly so if Greensboro gets this it will happen pretty quickly. The challenge is Greensboro leaders getting on the ball to make this happen. According to Ray Gibbs, this project is "Greensboro's to lose" meaning Greensboro is the front runner for this project. lets hope the city doesnt lose out the way it did for the office tower proposal next to First Horizon Park. my only concern is oposition towards the project. Remember the opposition towards First Horizon Park? well the project far exceeds that in scope and size.

You're raining on the parade.... Why don't you go home??! :rofl: Kidding!!

As far as your street grid comment goes, I feel that if the announcement is as big as has been touted, we have nothing to worry about. Streets may be gone, rerouted, etc, but I don't think we will be disappointed with it. Also, I definitely agree with your latter comment... leadership should really be working their a**** off to land this thing. Just look at their UP pages and actively planned projects and compare to what we've got.............

I don't mind if this project is big as far as footprint, though I'd hate to see something that spans several blocks and tears up the street grid in the process. I guess he'll have to wait until more is known but let's hope that the grid can remain intact (so basically multiple structures).

GSO certainly does have a lazier approach to winning projects/steering growth to it than Charlotte and Raleigh, so I suppose there is a danger that leadership isn't going to go out of their way to win this. That said, a take-it-or-leave-it attitude may insure that the project is truly "Urban", and not a collection of poorly designed crap because we are desperate to have the project in the first place.

Man, I really sound negative with my posting lately, what gives. :dontknow:

well it appears that the city is working their rear ends off, secretly that is. If this is built next to the ballpark, that means the proposed Bellemeade Village is thrown out the window and this development replaces it. Landwise, I think properties surrounding the ballpark is the best bet if the developer goes with the "full scale theme version" what if this development had a Hard Rock Cafe' in it? im guessing a mulitplex theater could be part of this development to but thats just my speculation.

The video links are teases!!

It's nice to hear more about what the public thinks downtown needs. Tysons Corner center in NoVA is planning an expansion to their mall including a hotel, residential, more retail, and entertainment. www.tysonsfuture.com

At this point, anything could happen for Greensboro, but I thought I'd throw this out there. Of course the project for Gboro wouldn't be as expansive if it were to happen.

video link

http://www.myfoxwghp.com/myfox/MyFox/pages...mp;locale=EN-US

another article link

http://www.myfoxwghp.com/myfox/pages/Home/...mp;pageId=1.1.1

according to sources this project dwarfs the Epic Centre in Charlotte (not neccissarily in height but tower(s) would be involved) and Greensboro IS indeed the frontrunner. according to sources Greensboro is a good location because of its central loction between Charlotte and Raleigh and that this would be MASSIVE REGION CHANGING PROJECT. The project is so big, hundreds of thousands of dollars are being spent conducting studies to see if Greensboro can sustain this development. This one project could put downtown development and growth into a fast track overdrive. another factor Greensboro is a fronterunner according to sources has to do with the city's history, what ever that means. It was stated that if Greensboro wins this thing, It could change the Triad into a real destination area.

I suppose there is not a chance in hell of developing the cemetery one full block away from the ball park, but if possible there would be no interruption to existing structures and streets, and the residential component to this project would benefit by the adjacent baseball fields and rec center.

Google map

im telling you this is a Disney project LOL. The development firm is from "Florida" and other cities are competing for this. In the video Ray Gibbs mentions entertainment for Families, kids and singles. Disney is looking at creating "Downtown Disney Districts" in the downtowns of some cities. These districts would have a local and "authentic" feel rather than transplanting the magic kingdom to downtowns across the country. That could explain the interest in having the ACC hall of Fame in the project because its locally tied to Greensboro.

im telling you this is a Disney project LOL. The development firm is from "Florida" and other cities are competing for this. In the video Ray Gibbs mentions entertainment for Families, kids and singles. Disney is looking at creating "Downtown Disney Districts" in the downtowns of some cities. These district would have a local feel rather than transplanting the magic kingdom to downtowns across the country. That could explain the interest in have the ACC hall of Fame in the project because its locally tied to Greensboro.

Interesting observation cityboi! You may be on to something.... :thumbsup:

And to add to your thoughts..I read somewhere that Greensboro's history was playing a role in the city being selected for the project. Could this be a tie-in to our role in the Revolutionary War? Also, what about our upcoming bicentennial? I guess we are running wild with speculation. But without much info about the project what else is one to do?

Rather see Epicenter-esque before Disney-ish, much prefer a GSO to an Orlando or Vegas type place, I'm not seeing this as a good fit. Again, we're speculating and I suppose Disney could pull off something that would work, but I'm still going to cringe at the thought of Disney until proven otherwise.

Rather see Epicenter-esque before Disney-ish, much prefer a GSO to an Orlando or Vegas type place, I'm not seeing this as a good fit. Again, we're speculating and I suppose Disney could pull off something that would work, but I'm still going to cringe at the thought of Disney until proven otherwise.

thats because you are thinking about Mickey Mouse ears, cindarella's castle and Dumbo. I think Disney could pull something off thats very authentic for Greensboro. Thats of course if this is Disney behind this.

Interesting observation cityboi! You may be on to something.... :thumbsup:

And to add to your thoughts..I read somewhere that Greensboro's history was playing a role in the city being selected for the project. Could this be a tie-in to our role in the Revolutionary War? Also, what about our upcoming bicentennial? I guess we are running wild with speculation. But without much info about the project what else is one to do?

You just never know. I do know the battle at Guilford Courthouse was a major turning point in the revolutionary war, thats why I think this is a "themed development" and why Disney came to mind when we found out the development company is in Florida. Add in the fact that Ray Gibbs mentions an "entertainment complex" geared towards families, kids and singles and there you go. Another forumer that knows alot of details about this says this could really turn Greensboro into a "destination". According to some sources, this project could be a regional draw attracting people from Charlotte and Raleigh which is why location is a big factor for this project. So if Greensboro gets this, you can say Charlotte and Raleigh helped the Gate City in getting this. One thing is for sure, a full blown plan of this development would likely mean more than one highrise. But the hype seems to indicate this project is more than just a high-rise hotel, condos and some entertainment establishments, which all can be done in just about any city in the south. Like I said the whole story hasnt been revealed to us yet. We just know bits and parts but it doesnt tell us much.

I don't think it's Disney personally. You mentioned "themed development", "development company is in Florida", and ""entertainment complex" geared towards families, kids and singles". They're all very nonspecific ideas and I think it's a serious stretch to think that Disney is involved with this thing. Anything is possible, but I highly doubt it.

Archived