Cap over Belk Freeway (277)

dubone

Eventually, we are going to have to cap John Belk at least partially IMO.  South End is just going to be so dense and the connectivity to Uptown will have to be improved for biking/walking/scooters.  Particularly if the stadium moves nextdoor and more is built there.

I’m all for capping if provided it’s cost-effective. I just don’t see much benefit in completely removing it. If we do, we lose at least some connectedness with South End which might kill future growth and expansion plans there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, thenewkage95 said:

I’m all for capping if provided it’s cost-effective. I just don’t see much benefit in completely removing it. If we do, we lose at least some connectedness with South End which might kill future growth and expansion plans there.

Capping Tryon to Church is starting to feel like a no brainier to me.  Maybe extend to College too.  John Belk is low enough and no exchanges would need to be re-configured.  Rail Trail extension will help too, but I think more connectivity into 3rd Ward is going to be important.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 6:55 PM, nakers2 said:

What's your opinion on the Brookshire freeway? I think it's more practical than the John Belk, even though I occasionally use the John Belk coming back from work, I don't need to, and it wouldn't kill me to use an alternative route. However my to work commute, I feel like removing the Brookshire would actually cause some traffic issues in and around Plaza for those who work down south of the airport like myself. 

Brookshire especially has several *terribly* designed exits, which cause a lot of the traffic issues in the area. A regular grid surface road could go a long way to fixing some of the issues in the area. 

1 hour ago, kermit said:

For some reason we have decided to make a form of transportation which is quite literally killing us cheaper for everyone

All you need to do is see who is profiting from that, and how much money gets funneled from them to our politicians who make the decisions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wilmore said:

Brookshire especially has several *terribly* designed exits, which cause a lot of the traffic issues in the area. A regular grid surface road could go a long way to fixing some of the issues in the area. 

Spoken like someone who uses 277.  The exits to and from Davidson/Caldwell are special.  The other thing is that the current 11th and a wider 12th could deal with a lot of this already.  Thru traffic to Independence wouldn't be happy though.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2019 at 4:19 PM, Desert Power said:

The exits to and from Davidson/Caldwell are special.  The other thing is that the current 11th and a wider 12th could deal with a lot of this already.  Thru traffic to Independence wouldn't be happy though.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Davidson/Caldwell exit. It could work well if people were more thoughtful navigating it. So much moving through that space can be both beautiful and messy.

• Thanks 1

Can someone  help me explain the benefit of capping 277?  I don't understand how a park between two roads helps people get across the highway better.

You still have to cross all the sames roads to get to it and after it right?  I'm not saying its a dumb idea or anything like that, I am really curious in what benefits it provides.

Can someone  help me explain the benefit of capping 277?  I don't understand how a park between two roads helps people get across the highway better.
 You still have to cross all the sames roads to get to it and after it right?  I'm not saying its a dumb idea or anything like that, I am really curious in what benefits it provides.

It’s just that some people view the highway as an eyesore and a waste of money. Being that Charlotte is ranked one of the lowest cities for parks, it would be nice to be able to build an urban park in a location that provides scenic beauty over an otherwise busy highway. It’s also beneficial given the scarcity of land uptown. We could essentially build this park without sacrificing any additional lucrative land. It’s not so much about helping people get across the highway since they’ll likely use the new pedestrian bridge, but it will help to make a more seamless transition between Uptown and Southend which is necessary if it is to ever truly be an extension of the urban style of uptown.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2019 at 11:07 AM, thenewkage95 said:

It’s just that some people view the highway as an eyesore and a waste of money. Being that Charlotte is ranked one of the lowest cities for parks, it would be nice to be able to build an urban park in a location that provides scenic beauty over an otherwise busy highway. It’s also beneficial given the scarcity of land uptown. We could essentially build this park without sacrificing any additional lucrative land. It’s not so much about helping people get across the highway since they’ll likely use the new pedestrian bridge, but it will help to make a more seamless transition between Uptown and Southend which is necessary if it is to ever truly be an extension of the urban style of uptown.

Additional benefit.. have the Silver line use the 277  land as the route and built stations around and with the park in mind. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I say remove it.  I mentioned in the pic thread it looks outdated and small-townish.  Not saying CLT is small town just the intersatae infrastructure is lacking.  Get rid of it, use the space for rail as mentioned above and funnel the money to a proper expressway out of uptwn to 85 and 74.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

it will be a while before mid rises are replaced right outside the 277 loop especially along south Tryon as there are still single story building and vacant parking lots.    But who knows someone might put up a 400 foot high tower on one of those vacant lots.  You just never know. 

• Like 2