Cap over Belk Freeway (277)

dubone

25 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

The Netherlands is the only place I have seen with a multilevel parking deck for bikes! 

Check out Copenhagen!  I've never seen so many bikes in my life!

Funny story, by the way. 

I don't think I'd have the nerve to rent a car in Europe.  I always use the trains as they go practically everywhere, are on time (unlike Amtrak) and I know I won't get lost.  The only time I've driven in that part of the world was in Scotland as I had little choice (business trip, and I had to go to a factory location in a rural area every day).  But having to drive on the left-hand side of the road, and every intersection was a roundabout (where the left-side driving was extra challenging and I constantly had  trouble figuring out how to exit these things and would go around in circles each time), really tested my nerves.

Edited by JacksonH
  • Thanks 1

Why didn't they expand the Little Sugar Creek Project into something more substantial near downtown (similar to Canal Walk in Indy's size)?   Then with a feeder connection to Marshall Park...of course complemented by a revitalized larger water feature in Marshall Park. Seems officials missed the mark like most other NC cities when it comes to out of the box thinking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do not see the yellow Clemente bridge. 

Pittsburgh is a good city, so many real neighborhoods with history, distinctive culture and architecture, human size. And the people are the best. Just the BEST. I should know. I sometimes wish I could live there but think I may not be strong, trusting and real enough to adapt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2020 at 12:31 PM, tarhoosier said:

I do not see the yellow Clemente bridge. 

Pittsburgh is a good city, so many real neighborhoods with history, distinctive culture and architecture, human size. And the people are the best. Just the BEST. I should know. I sometimes wish I could live there but think I may not be strong, trusting and real enough to adapt.

You would hate the winters.  And if you think the roads here are bad, just wait!!  As much as I have slowly grown to hate the heat and humidity here, I'll take that over freezing cold winters and snow that stays on the ground for weeks at a time.  I do miss the fall up there though.

I appreciate the kind words, as I hear that a lot of us from the 'Burgh.  I can pick one out of the crowd anywhere just by the accent!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

Fort Washington tunnel. The greatest approach to any U. S. city.

Mount Washington neighborhood view. There are two funiculars on Mt Washington. This is one. 

But the key thing is the people.

DpBzipFXgAARjES.thumb.jpg.a8c0351c032b5abe0e7139974ead110c.jpg

Say what now? Funicular! I know what I am doing on my next visit :D

My only other exposure and first hand experience has been in my mothers home town of Dubuque

http://www.fenelonplaceelevator.com

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Is there anything we can do or advocate for in regards to the mixing of litter and overgrown vegetation at many of the interchanges both along I-277 and I-77  in and around city center?  These are very visible spots leading into the city's core, and they're looking increasingly wretched and giving off a horrible impression.  Also, unlike in other cities, I see absolutely no signage in and around center city reminding motorists that litter is banned and to properly dispose of refuse.  Yes, I understand people should know this, but sometimes they toss things by force of habit and just need a refresher that what they're doing is wrong. 

Edited by RANYC

15 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Is there anything we can do or advocate for in regards to the mixing of litter and overgrown vegetation at many of the interchanges both along I-277 and I-77 near in and around city center?  These are very visible spots leading into the city's core, and they're looking increasingly wretched and giving off a horrible impression.  Also, unlike in other cities, I see absolutely no signage in and around center city reminding motorists that litter is banned and to properly dispose of refuse.  Yes, I understand people should know this, but sometimes they toss things by force of habit and just need a refresher that what they're doing is wrong. 

The right of way is maintained by NCDOT.

The Belk River now so well known that it gets parodied. This thing is totally gonna happen!

[disclaimer: I know a river is physically impossible, but the concept does help everyone see how ridiculous the current land use is and how valuable this space could be for recreation, green space, alt-transportation and making intown Charlotte much more livable. In short, regardless of its feasibility, the river is a very helpful thought experiment].

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...