Cap over Belk Freeway (277)

dubone

One comment stands out: "every city in NC has this type of area or stretch...."  .  This is so true, and I submit one reason Odell and the others were so anxious to bring out the bulldozers was in order to differentiate ourselves from the old South.  The same guys, remember, were the ones who lobbied for banks and headquarters. 
I vividly remember Brooklyn. I'm sure it was home for many of those folks, but it's easy to romanticize.  Anyone else remember the outhouses extended out over Sugar Creek?  Anyone remember the murder rate?    I went to First Ward Elementary in the early 70s.   I can still remember the locals trying to scare us through the chain link fence.
Whenever someone has a plan, like Odell and those guys, it's going to affect others and often in a negative way.  I sound like a broken record, but, one day we'll wake up and wonder why we didn't do more to save the trees. Even now, on another thread someone posted a picture of a beautiful 210 acre tract of wooded land that would make an awesome natural area for Rock Hill.  Instead the voices are, "Great potential practice field!"  We get all giggly when Google, Amazon, or Wamart and Beacon bulldozes another hundred acres......just like the urban planners in the 60s did with urban renewal.

Good Point!

6 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

One comment stands out: "every city in NC has this type of area or stretch...."  .  This is so true, and I submit one reason Odell and the others were so anxious to bring out the bulldozers was in order to differentiate ourselves from the old South.  The same guys, remember, were the ones who lobbied for banks and headquarters. 

I vividly remember Brooklyn. I'm sure it was home for many of those folks, but it's easy to romanticize.  Anyone else remember the outhouses extended out over Sugar Creek?  Anyone remember the murder rate?    I went to First Ward Elementary in the early 70s.   I can still remember the locals trying to scare us through the chain link fence.

Whenever someone has a plan, like Odell and those guys, it's going to affect others and often in a negative way.  I sound like a broken record, but, one day we'll wake up and wonder why we didn't do more to save the trees. Even now, on another thread someone posted a picture of a beautiful 210 acre tract of wooded land that would make an awesome natural area for Rock Hill.  Instead the voices are, "Great potential practice field!"  We get all giggly when Google, Amazon, or Wamart and Beacon bulldozes another hundred acres......just like the urban planners in the 60s did with urban renewal.

Never got the love for Brooklyn. From pictures I've seen and what I've read the Brooklyn that was demolished was a slum that took up a quarter of uptown. Not the Brooklyn of vibrant shops, schools and churches that it was back in the day

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I feel like some people are being obtuse about the Brooklyn thing. The neighborhood received little investment from the city and wider community for decades due to the race of its inhabitants. No one is arguing that the buildings that were demolished should have all stayed or were architectural marvels, the problem is that the people were displaced on a large scale when it was demolished, and that people of any race have not lived in the area in a significant capacity ever since. We aren’t mourning the loss of buildings, but of a community, one that has still not been mended or even replaced. 

2 hours ago, MothBeast said:

I feel like some people are being obtuse about the Brooklyn thing. The neighborhood received little investment from the city and wider community for decades due to the race of its inhabitants. No one is arguing that the buildings that were demolished should have all stayed or were architectural marvels, the problem is that the people were displaced on a large scale when it was demolished, and that people of any race have not lived in the area in a significant capacity ever since. We aren’t mourning the loss of buildings, but of a community, one that has still not been mended or even replaced. 

It's happening today in North Charlotte.  Albeit by private enterprise.  I had more than one church member come to me (business was on Statesville Ave) asking me if it was true that the city was going to condemn their property. Apparently, more than one investor gave to their church and convinced their pastor of this in the hopes the homeowners would sell their property.  Several of my ex employees were given 30 days notice, despite having lived in the neighborhood for over 30 years.  "Progress" can be ugly.  All those nice new brewpubs are doing to increase the value of surrounding land and adjoining neighborhoods.

I try not to blame our successes in development for our failures in gentrification, because I know that displacement can be properly and justly addressed without negatively affecting development. It isn’t a zero sum game, you can make a lot of money by investing in an area and make it livelier and safer while also providing affordable units in the neighborhood for the residents you are physically displacing. I hate seeing people complain about development rather than complain that our local government and  developers aren’t doing anything about its negative effects. I’m not saying you’re @Windsurferdoing this at all by the way your post just made me think of it 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, MothBeast said:

you can make a lot of money by investing in an area and make it livelier and safer while also providing affordable units in the neighborhood for the residents you are physically displacing.

That would be ideal.  Where have you seen that done here in NC?

• Like 1

Gentrification is a complex concept. Simply building something new doesn’t always translate to displacement.

Cool video about about new development and gentrification:

If you have time to watch do so!

Also there’s a short segment on people sh*ting on brick buildings in contrast to the wooden buildings that came before it. I was mentioning this in the uptown hotels thread.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MothBeast said:

I try not to blame our successes in development for our failures in gentrification, because I know that displacement can be properly and justly addressed without negatively affecting development. It isn’t a zero sum game, you can make a lot of money by investing in an area and make it livelier and safer while also providing affordable units in the neighborhood for the residents you are physically displacing. I hate seeing people complain about development rather than complain that our local government and  developers aren’t doing anything about its negative effects. I’m not saying you’re @Windsurferdoing this at all by the way your post just made me think of it 

I get it.  This is the spirit of urbanplanet, no?  Find the grey areas and improve on the good things.  While I disagree with a lot of things said on here, I find all of it thought-provoking.

Regards.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2022 at 12:28 PM, ertley said:

I would honestly settle for just capping the single smallest possible section--that between Tryon and College. It would be SO worth it, in unifying downtown and upper South End, and I can't believe, after Queensbridge is built, that the rights for developing such a block wouldn't far outweigh the costs of adapting the infrastructure. 

I really like this idea because it feels like something that could actually happen. And despite its small size I’d say it’s a much closer outcome to capping several blocks than not capping any at all, just because of that unification you talked about.