Looking to Move Downtown

bigdoublezero

Hi, I'm new to these forums, but my roommate and I were hoping you all might give us some advice.

First, a bit about our situation:

We've been living in West Hartford for the past year in an apartment about a 5-minute walk from the center. It's been very nice, but it's a bit too quiet for the two of us. I graduated from college in '06 and work downtown. He graduated in '03 and works in Bristol.

We're both interested in moving downtown this summer, where we'll be closer to bars and restaurants, etc., but rent at some of the high-end places like Hartford21 is just too high. We're paying $1,200 a month without utilities now for a fairly nice apartment right now in West Hartford. We think it's ridiculous to be asked to pay two or three times that for a nice aparment downtown.

So we were wondering if you all had any suggestions for some nice buildings that were close to the action that won't cost an arm and a leg to rent. Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi, I'm new to these forums, but my roommate and I were hoping you all might give us some advice.

First, a bit about our situation:

We've been living in West Hartford for the past year in an apartment about a 5-minute walk from the center. It's been very nice, but it's a bit too quiet for the two of us. I graduated from college in '06 and work downtown. He graduated in '03 and works in Bristol.

We're both interested in moving downtown this summer, where we'll be closer to bars and restaurants, etc., but rent at some of the high-end places like Hartford21 is just too high. We're paying $1,200 a month without utilities now for a fairly nice apartment right now in West Hartford. We think it's ridiculous to be asked to pay two or three times that for a nice aparment downtown.

So we were wondering if you all had any suggestions for some nice buildings that were close to the action that won't cost an arm and a leg to rent. Thanks!

250 Main is cheap and close to downtown. I don't think the rents are above 900 for a 2 bedroom and there is a parking garage and great views.

Also, check out a building at the corner of Capitol and Main called the Hotel Capitol. It has apartments above that are reasonable. Don't have a number but I have a friend who lived there and I know the phone number is on the door.

Ditto for some of the brownstones right around the corner on Capitol and Whitman. There are signs in some of the windows and I think it is #23 Capitol that has a phone number to call for apartments.

There are also some cool lofts that nobody knows about above the Red Plate. I think they are rented through one of the businesses there, maybe Parfum du Jours or la Dolce Vita.

What about Union Place, by the train station. I think that's less expensive. Frankly, the rents downtown have discouraged me, too, but if you and your roomate each have a car and you'd be willing to get rid of one and share the other, the savings could be quite big in terms of parking costs, gas, insurance, and (if applicable) payments. You'd have to do the shopping stuff on the weekend.

250 Main is cheap and close to downtown. I don't think the rents are above 900 for a 2 bedroom and there is a parking garage and great views.

Also, check out a building at the corner of Capitol and Main called the Hotel Capitol. It has apartments above that are reasonable. Don't have a number but I have a friend who lived there and I know the phone number is on the door.

Ditto for some of the brownstones right around the corner on Capitol and Whitman. There are signs in some of the windows and I think it is #23 Capitol that has a phone number to call for apartments.

There are also some cool lofts that nobody knows about above the Red Plate. I think they are rented through one of the businesses there, maybe Parfum du Jours or la Dolce Vita.

I actually live in 250 Main and am really pretty happy with the place. It's no frills but convenient and a bargain. The penthouse units facing North have great views of Downtown and you can get a two bedroom up there for around $1100 a month or less. There's also garage parking under the building and the building has a nice diversity to it in my opinion. Security has not been an issue at all for me in the 6 months I've been living there. I thought it might be too out of the way for him though. It is close to The Emperor, Max Bibo's Deli, Ashly's for breakfast and also Peppercorn's Grille. Also a close walk to City Hall and the Library and Front Street one day......

250 Main

• 2 months later...

Archived