Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NCB

New Orleans' Population eclipses 300,000

103 posts in this topic

Population survey shows growth in New Orleans

Article

L_IMAGE.11220589918.93.88.fa.d0.2f710384.jpg

L_IMAGE.11220589918.93.88.fa.d0.2f71c0b6.jpg

Population experts said Wednesday that a recent study shows a significant amount of growth in the New Orleans area.

These stats are very promising, especially since they're showing that the most heavily damaged parts of the city are also the fastest growing parts of the city. And while that may have been "to be expected," it's still great to see it actually happening. At this rate, the population of New Orleans would be somewhere between 350,000-400,000 by the 2010 Census.

That's what I'm talking about, once we reach 275K, 300,000 will be a piece of cake.

You also have to take in account the hispanic population that has reached prob. 20,000 since the storm if not more.

FINALLY, we have good news! I wonder what the metro area population looks like now. I hope it is back over 1.1 million.

To tell you the truth I think that New Orleans population is at 275k right now. I always thought that the census was laeving off a few thousands. No one knows the exact population of New Orleans ,but I know it's always higher than what the census tells.

I wouldn't be suprised at all if New Orleans' population was 10K-20K higher than the 255,000 number, but it's just impossible to tell. In the decades before Katrina, it was almost expected that the official Census would leave off tens of thousands in the city's population due to extremely flawed and incorrect head counts from the projects throughout the city.

The murder rate should also decline as more and more destroyed houses and structures throughout the city are removed. Every one of those structures is a perfect hangout for criminals, as they can be used for something as simple as a hangout or safe house to something like a crack or meth house.

This does not surprise. There has been a ton of activity in NOE and the Gentilly area since last summer. If this rate of return continues...we will definitely be pushing 300,000 by the end of the year.

This does not surprise. There has been a ton of activity in NOE and the Gentilly area since last summer. If this rate of return continues...we will definitely be pushing 300,000 by the end of the year.

How is the area around UNO doing ?

That's one of the places my brother has put in an application (faculty), and I'm planning to move wherever he does

(basically considering anywhere from Texas through the Carolinas). Who knows, we might be able to

add 2 more people to New Orleans population :good:

The Lake Terrace area to the west of UNO is doing well...as it got the least amount of water. There is still major recovery going on south of Leon C. Simon Ave. until you get down to Gentilly Rd. The area around Gentilly Rd. is rebounding nicely, as it is also high ground and Dillard University is there. As the population grows, more amenities such as restaurants and stores should come back. I know the Sav-A-Center is open just east of UNO and the Winn Dixie is open on Chef Highway. A few fast food places have also reopened in that area.

There is very little crime in the 3rd Police District.

1st quarter stats for 2007 show

11 Assaults

45 Auto Thefts

235 Burglaries

0 Homicides

9 Robberies

198 Thefts

This is one of the safest areas of town, and a good place to invest in. The 3rd District covers Lakeview and Gentilly. Basically everything north of I-610 west of the Industrial Canal.

Thanks. That's exactly the type of information I was looking for.

Just "on paper," the UNO job is one of the 4 or 5 that look the best to him at this point. Of course,

we'll have to see what offers he actually gets over the summer.

Did anyone catch C Ray's statement that 283,000 residents are in NOLA? Who believes him?

Did anyone catch C Ray's statement that 283,000 residents are in NOLA? Who believes him?

He may be right, I wouldn't doubt that N.O. has 283,000 residents. As of March, we were at 255,000 and it's May, so 283,000 isn't far-fetched.

Now I don't believe everything that comes out his mouth, I certainly believe that the population is 283,000 if not very close.

I think he got that from the postal service statisitcs which show that they are delivering to 62% of pre-Katrina residences now. If you take a population of 456,000 before the storm, it comes out to around 283,000 people based off pure percentages. Of course, household size is not taken into account. However, it is a good rough guesstimate of the current population in the city.

It is all explained on this website. I really enjoy this site for all of the demographic info.

http://www.gnocdc.org/reports/GNOCDC_research_note_May07.pdf

Looks like the people at GNOCDC updated the info from the postal service. As of April 2007, they are delivering to 63.8% of pre-Katrina addresses. Using pure percentages, that would put the population at around 288,500. This is an increase of around 6500 from the previous month. If this trend continues through June, the city should be around 300,000. That is a 35% annual growth rate from the 223,000 reported in July 2006. Very impressive. They also stated the 5 parish region of Jefferson, Orleans, St. Tammany, St. Bernard and Plaquemines is at 82% of pre-K numbers. There were around 1.2 million people in these parishes before the storm, so this would put around 1 million in them now. Taking in the River Parishes, the metro is around 1.1 million now compared to 1.3 million before the storm.

Thanks for the update, Slidell! If those are indeed correct, than the current "re-growth" of this city is definately promising. I honestly expected New Orleans to hit 300,000 sometime around 2010...maybe. Of course that was back when the mostly undamaged parts of the city had essentially filled up. I'm more happy than you know to see that it looks like I may have been very wrong. :thumbsup:

No problem. I really like this postal service data as it is updated each month, and is probably fairly reliable considering that most people receive mail at the place they reside. Plus, the numbers really jive with what most of the demographers have been saying this year.

Looks like the people at GNOCDC updated the info from the postal service. As of April 2007, they are delivering to 63.8% of pre-Katrina addresses. Using pure percentages, that would put the population at around 288,500. This is an increase of around 6500 from the previous month. If this trend continues through June, the city should be around 300,000. That is a 35% annual growth rate from the 223,000 reported in July 2006. Very impressive. They also stated the 5 parish region of Jefferson, Orleans, St. Tammany, St. Bernard and Plaquemines is at 82% of pre-K numbers. There were around 1.2 million people in these parishes before the storm, so this would put around 1 million in them now. Taking in the River Parishes, the metro is around 1.1 million now compared to 1.3 million before the storm.

New Orleans Metro will swell back to 1.7 as soon as the levees, marshland are fix. You don;t know how may investor from Texas and California are just waiting to go in there. I know becasue I work for a REIT in San Antonio