New Orleans' Population eclipses 300,000

NCB

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More promising news!

New Orleans growing and getting younger

Article from WWL-TV

The Latter and Blum Real Estate Company, which has roughly a 20 percent share of the market in New Orleans, has tracked its sales from recent months and noticed a dramatic shift within the last 60 days: more people from out of state are moving into the city.

Thanks JPK! I had looked around for an Advocate article but couldn't find anything.

Did anyone else catch the start of the 10pm WWLTV news tonight? The top story was another population study/estimate, this one by researcher Greg Rigamer. He estimated that in May 2007, the population of New Orleans was 262,000, an increase of 7,000 from March.

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/wwl0626...p.194f393b.html

Researcher Greg Rigamer estimates the city is at about 262,000 people

More good news! What's interesting is that most of these estimates bear out the fact that St. Tammany's population has not grown as much as parish officials have predicted. It appears that the population simply moved west.

WVUE indicated that St. Bernard's population was 28K (I think). I did not catch the source of the information, though.

All of these new May '07 population estimates seem to range from 262,000-288,000, with the mean being about 270,000. And averaging out the raw growth numbers from these various estimates, the population of the city going into July would really be anywhere from 275,000-300,000. Of course you really can't use those growth numbers as I'm sure more people are coming into or back into the city now that it's summer. My gut tells me the population is probably between 285,000-300,000, for what that's worth. :lol:

What are you guys thinking?

:lol::lol: In March we were at 255,000, 3 months have passed and we're at 262,000 :lol: 7,000 people moving to N.O. over a 3 month period isn't feasible, especially since people are continually coming back. 275,000-300,000 would be the appropriate range, and even that won't stand for long because of the constant population change.

• 2 weeks later...

I send a salute to all of you in New Orleans for you ironwill and determination to bring this most majestic and beautiful city back to where it was before the storm. It truely is a testement of your courage, love, and strength as a people determined not to let thier wonderful city fall. I have relatives in New Orleans and I have a very deep affection for this city and its people, so once again I salute you and know only better things are to come!!! :good:

I send a salute to all of you in New Orleans for you ironwill and determination to bring this most majestic and beautiful city back to where it was before the storm. It truely is a testement of your courage, love, and strength as a people determined not to let thier wonderful city fall. I have relatives in New Orleans and I have a very deep affection for this city and its people, so once again I salute you and know only better things are to come!!! :good:

You're definitely right in the second sentence. I think it's like the following: When we go elsewhere, we talk up the city and are willing to say what we believe it's problems are. But, if someone else bad mouth's the city.....watch out. It's like calling your own sister an ugly dog, but getting really ticked if someone else calls her the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived