AUGUSTA, GA NEW SPAGHETTI INTERCHANGE- IS IT GROWING 2 FAST

augga706

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i thought only kroger was making improvements in that plaza since its a supercenter now, it seems there will be alot more improvements also, i guess the augusta mall lifestyle expansion is bringing developers all around wrightsboro rd.

KROGER.jpgA Philadelphia-based private investment fund manager specializing in value added properties has acquired Richmond Plaza, a 177,311-square-foot Kroger-anchored retail center in Augusta, Ga., for $18 million. The Plaza is located directly across the street from the 1.1 million-square-foot Augusta Mall, the only regional mall in the area.

The fund manager, BPG Properties Ltd., formerly Berwind Property Group, specializes in value-added acquisitions. "This property is in average condition, but only 71 percent occupied, Arthur Pasquarella, executive vice president & COO at BPG told CPN this afternoon. "We're planning to spend between $500,000 and $750,000 to upgrade the fa

i know augusta is experiencing the most growth it has seen ever, but listen to mayor deke we will grow faster than even ATL in 07 i cant believe it!

This vast array of positive economic news has brought a renewed attention to the Augusta market at both the state and national levels. In January of this year, economists from the Terry College of Business at the University of Georgia predicted that in 2007, our region’s economy would grow at a faster pace than the rest of the state. In May of last year, Southern Business and Development Magazine ranked Augusta as one of “The Top Ten Places in the South With Plenty of Talented Labor.” The same magazine also ranked the 1700 acre Augusta Corporate park as one of the top ten supersights in the Southeast while recognizing the ADP announcement as one of the top ten economic development announcements of the year.

The accolades did not end there as our City was also featured as one of the nations premier places to retire in both the Wall Street Journal and Where To Retire Magazine. Georgia Trend, one of the states most highly regarded publications, recently ran a glowing feature article on Augusta and the progress our City is making. Just last month, this same magazine recognized Augusta as a Trendsetter City for the first time in our history based on our government’s innovative public/private partnerships to run many local community centers.

Our City Center has been another hub of activity over the past year as together we are working towards the development of the $80 million Watermark project on our City’s riverfront. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that this project will stand to significantly increase downtown investment and will stand as a cornerstone to future redevelopment. Our Wi-Fi pilot project on the Augusta Commons helped lead to Augusta’s designation as one of Georgia’s first Wi-Fi Cities. The designation, along with state grant funds, will allow for our entire City Center to soon be Wi-Fi accessible while improving our governmental service delivery and providing internet service to inner-city schools and neighborhoods.

Augusta city officials's have approve 1.2 million dollars for a downtown makeover. The money will go to rennovating fountains, sidewalks, the riverwalk, ampitheatre, & christmas lights. Downtown is more & more becoming a major city downtown in augusta. Watches Unlimited in augusta mall is moving next to macy's on the lower level. Fresh Market on washington rd will expand its existing store when dillards leaves & other vancancies appear or they will tear down their exisitng building & rebuild it to a larger venue, the village at riverwatch delay is making the choice difficult. I wonder if sprint & those other stores will stay in this plaza or will they be kick out for more upscale clientle but ppl do buy cellphones everyday so it might stay. Does anybody know which condos will start construction first because aug national brought the food lion plaza i think food lion lease is up by the end of the yr, & this plaza with fresh market is supposed to be getting condos to. I knew it was only a matter of time before that area on washington rd by aug national would be all upscale hotels, condos, offices, resturants, & townhouses.

Also the target in west augusta is expanding, it will have a bigger grocery area, a starbucks cafe which will be across the street from the starbucks stand-alone, & pizza hut express will be coming it wants to compete with the west augusta walmart since its expanding to become a supercenter also.

A good thing is the village at riverwatch delay is because major businesses have approached the developer several resturants, hotel chains, exhibition center, the mall still has only announced dillards, belk, & starplex cinemas. it will open only early 09

phoenix commerical printers bought mcgowen's 30,000 square ft building on 11th st. They also brought augusta printing at 13th st & reynolds, this is their largest expansion to date they already own miller printing. Now if we can just get rid of the rest of the empty buildings downtown tear them down or sell em.

other news is the plaza at the corner of whiskey & dougherty in aiken will be almost like a walgreen's world causing the mom & pops stores to find a new home. Bo Mitchell's snocone hut, & phil's deli will be leaving. Walgreens is trying to expand into the whole plaza, CVS & Eckerd's soon wont have any stores left in the metro augusta area.

There is new construction on millegeville rd near the barton chapel intersection, also there are tractors near the insterction of millegeville rd & north leg. The construction near barton chapel looks like a new st, does anybody know what they're building i know its alot of construction of 520 right b4 deans bridge & remember the mix income development that got turn down this is all in the same area. Maybe there just building something else since the land for the mix income housing was already developed.

Also Cal Ripken Jr. will be in augusta tommorrow talking to city leaders about the proposed stadium downtown. This is perfect timing since the ga golf hall of fame got cut from the budget by gov. perdue & cal ripken & mayor deke are trying to build baseball stadium on the golf hall of fame. Maybe know city leaders will become more urgent to make the ga golf more useful than for ppl who have their weddings there. I would hope that they would be a upscale hotel & resturant near the stadium.

^^LOL they are building alot of Walgreens in the Augusta metro. However, wherever a new Walgreens is put up, a new CVS seems to follow, (if there isnt one in the immediate area already) I saw a sign for a new CVS on Evans to Lock road...way out near Riverside shool!

Info on the new downtown baseball stadium on the golf hall of fame

"I get really excited walking that piece of property and seeing how the gardens can merge," GreenJackets owner Cal Ripken Jr. said.

"We're looking forward to a great opportunity where the Golf Hall of Fame can have a permanent location in a venue of traffic," Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue said.

Over lunch, the baseball icon met with Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue and Augusta Mayor Deke Copenhaver to discuss putting the $20 million stadium right next to the golf hall of fame.

"To have the people involved with this project that are supportive, Cal and the Governor, I just think it's going to be a win win situation for Augusta, the state and the Golf Hall of Fame," Augusta Mayor Deke Copenhaver said.

"We had a great discussion with the governor, the mayor. There's a lot of excitement coming into town," Ripken Jr. said. A feasibility study on a downtown stadium should be completed by September. The stadium would be built by 2010

The mayor said the wall street journal is thinking about doing a series of articles about cities who were behind but are now having major econmic developments. The mayor said even if they dont do the article it still is a good feeling knowing that wall street journal has augusta on their map. He said the new stadium would crush greenville's because we have water that have a ditch. He said greenville is a nice city just that ours would be better, i havent seen greenville's so cant say. The mayor said cal ripken told gov. perdue were in augusta for the long haul, & he wrote a letter to the owner of ADP on augusta's behalf. I wonder if they gave them some master tickets also, the mayor says the major thing that draws ppl to augusta is the cost of living. Augusta was with el paso,tx in one bid for a company but the mayor said when they saw how big some of the houses were for so cheap they came back laughing after there trip around augusta. The mayor said aug has been undervalued & now ppl are starting to catch own. The mayor stated that a member from macon said come down here & so us how your bringing these things to augusta. He said alot of ppl both state & nationally were shock, & very intrigued when he went to events & told them about the things happening in augusta. He also said there is alot of major developments coming in the next 10-12 months even though he wont say what. The mayor also said augusta will be the most thriving city in the southeast i repeat the southeast atlanta, miami, charlotte, va beach, tampa,

The mayor said the wall street journal is thinking about doing a series of articles about cities who were behind but are now having major econmic developments. The mayor said even if they dont do the article it still is a good feeling knowing that wall street journal has augusta on their map. He said the new stadium would crush greenville's because we have water that have a ditch. He said greenville is a nice city just that ours would be better, i havent seen greenville's so cant say. The mayor said cal ripken told gov. perdue were in augusta for the long haul, & he wrote a letter to the owner of ADP on augusta's behalf. I wonder if they gave them some master tickets also, the mayor says the major thing that draws ppl to augusta is the cost of living. Augusta was with el paso,tx in one bid for a company but the mayor said when they saw how big some of the houses were for so cheap they came back laughing after there trip around augusta. The mayor said aug has been undervalued & now ppl are starting to catch own. The mayor stated that a member from macon said come down here & so us how your bringing these things to augusta. He said alot of ppl both state & nationally were shock, & very intrigued when he went to events & told them about the things happening in augusta. He talk about how there is alot of major developments coming in the next 10-12 months even though he wont say what. The mayor said in the next 5 yrs augusta will be the most thriving city in the southeast i repeat the southeast atlanta, miami, charlotte, va beach, tampa, raleigh/durham, orlando

Augusta really needs to look to Greenville SC for an example of how a fantastic Downtown area should be. I was not thrilled at all when I moved to the Upstate area 7 years ago. Greenville had a nice DT but wasnt too impressed. However, in the last 5 years or so the city has totally transformed the Downtown into a thriving center of offices, hotels, midrise condos, shops, restaurants and bars/nightclubs. National chains have opened up and the streets bustle with pedestrian activity from morning to night. The "west end" area of Downtown went from pretty much ghetto to parks, condos, trendy shops and the baseball stadium almost overnight! I was out in DT Greenville the other night and there were literally THOUSANDS of people walking around, enjoying the beauty of their central city....and it wasnt even a special night like "first friday" or something like that.

yeah, I do agree. I think Augusta is starting to be noticed among other national cities as a vibrant area. I'm sure all of Georgia's other MSA's are experiencing the same. I just hope that the city AS A WHOLE (not just certain "distinguished" parts of town) can benefit from success. And I know for that to that to happen, it's going to take great leadership and for people (in this town and out) to want to give opportunities a chance.

As far as what's happening now, I can't wait to see all of this work done and have even more projects like this come to fruition. It definitely makes me look forward to coming back home.

Everything will come with time the kroc center, stadium, watermark, & the whites building will help downtown even more. Macedonia is supposed to be in regency mall by the end of nxt yr so that will take that eyesore away. Gordon Hwy is not really that bad except for the empty regency mall. Im pretty sure if the church cant buy the rest of the mall they will buy property around gordon hwy. Kia brought more property on gordon hwy this yr & are waiting to build. Tobacco Rd to hephzibah is growing good with new houses & residents. Augusta Mall is making properties on wrightsboro rd get brought quickly. After the little left off lots in west augusta are gone, downtown can only build up, south augusta, or east augusta past eastbound is the only areas with acres of land.

Gordon Hwy is not really that bad except for the empty regency mall. Im pretty sure if the church cant buy the rest of the mall they will buy property around gordon hwy. Kia brought more property on gordon hwy this yr & are waiting to build.

Really. if you ride down gordon hwy the only decent buildings are the fast food places, southgate, red lobster August Dodge, Kia and TBones. The other buildings need to be razed and replaced due to their years of neglect.

i think that the some of the old buildings will be tore down, its alot of construction of houses & other things off jimmie dyess that face gordon hwy, behind barton village there is some construction dont know what it is. Belair whateva its called on gordon hwy, is a nice subdivision, but you forgot about the hotels especially near ft.gordon those hotels are pretty decent like the remodel holiday inn. The value place hotel just opened on gordon hwy & 520 thats a decent looking hotel. The good thing about deans bridge rd, gordon hwy, & peach orchard is that they have three lanes on each side most of gordon hwy is like a little interstate all the way from harlem to n. augusta. Gordon hwy is still the most important rd in augusta since it can connect n.aug, south augusta, harlem, west augusta, evans, grovetown, & downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

Furniture seller breaks ground on new warehouse.

When Steelcase, the world's largest maker of office furniture, wanted to keep a presence in Augusta, one of its South Carolina dealers put up a temporary office. That dealer, McWaters Inc. of Columbia, on Tuesday broke ground on its $1 million permanent Augusta location near the Wheeler Road-Interstate 20 interchange. McWaters is South Carolina's second-largest furniture dealer. It also has a location in Savannah. The new 12,000-square-foot Augusta facility on Benchmark Drive will open in October with nine to 10 employees.

"McWaters is moving into our market to take advantage of the growth, when you consider that right around the corner is an 80,000-square-foot T-Mobile facility going up," said Augusta Mayor Deke Copenhaver.

COMMERCIAL BUILDING PERMITS

- Belding Construction; Laura Scott DMD; 3031 William Few Parkway; commercial building; $278,000

- Bell Commercial Construction; 4158 Washington Road; commercial building; $702,000

- Bell Commercial Construction; ATA Martial Arts; 4490 Washington Road No. 11; $48,200

- Modern Roofing; Georgia Bank & Trust; 4487 Columbia Road; re-roof; $200,000

- Steel Pro Inc; Allegra Print & Imaging; 128 Commercial Blvd.; renovations; $69,000

- Arcon Group Inc; Aiken Regional Medical Center; 302 University Parkway; renovations; $1,200,000

- Amato Construction; Sonic Industries, Inc.; 3712 Mike Padgett Highway; value unavailable

- Ammer Construction Company, Inc.; Henry Brigham Senior Center; 2456 Golden Camp Road; addition; value unavailable

- CSRA Foundation; AAA Self Storage; 3440 Milledgeville Road Buildings A, B, C, D, E; commercial building; values unavailable

- First General of the CSRA; May Park Villas; 405 Hale Street Buildings D Nos. 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15; renovations; values unavailable

- GKC Construction; Mustard Seed Video; 2417 Regency Blvd. No. 5; renovations; value unavailable

- B.R. Walden Construction; Southern Mechanical; 3072 Damascus Road; commercial building; value unavailable

MAJOR PROPERTY SALES

- Larry Meister Construction Co. Inc. to Rachel C. Hammett, 458 Armstrong Way, $615,000

- Tonya L. Rowland to James A. Vincenzetti and Stacey L. Vincenzetti, 745 Vardon Court, $573,000.

- Francis W. Chandler Jr. to Gordon L. Stewart and Linda A. Stewart, 614 Baytree Court, $766,000.

- Alisa M. Taylor to Jason K. Redman and Deanne K. Redman, 4195 Hannahs Crossing, $995,000.

- John Fleming to 461 Greene Street Partners LLP, Lot, on the northeast corner of Greene and Fifth streets, Plat Book R131 Page 1535, 461, 465 and 467 Greene St., $350,000

- Lodgian Augusta LLC to Fortfolia Augusta LLC, June 19, Tract, on the west side of Boy Scout Road, $3,255,800

- Georgia Vitrified Brick & Clay Co. to BSWT Inc., June 22, 32.26 acres, Plat Book B3 Page 238, $1,177,500

Its good to see south augusta getting more food places even if its only sonic. Atleast some ppl dont have to drive to west augusta or even peach orchard. Even with the checkers on tobacco rd theyre starting to build more out towards 56 & hephzibah.

Archived