AUGUSTA, GA NEW SPAGHETTI INTERCHANGE- IS IT GROWING 2 FAST

augga706

Walgreens has been the big player in town. We told you about them buying up a plaza on Whiskey Road in Aiken. Now an update on another one moving in.

The latest one isn’t under construction yet, but its location is prominent...and right smack dab across the street from a big competitor that’s about to change hands.

The buzz is that Walgreens is going to develop the property in the old Lonestar building and parking lot on Washington Road. The developer of Mullins Crossing is involved in this transaction.

Lonestar closed suddenly in May amid major corporate trouble. Area restaurant owners and investors bought up much of the equipment and furniture inside.

Walgreens is coming to the corner of Washington Road and Alexander Drive

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know about the ruby tuesdays on peach orchard it might have open.

New resturants coming to Grovetown

officials say they want to become "the other wrightsboro rd".

Hula Dawgs is under new ownership. An ex-SRS professional and his wife are really cooking now. The Brewtons have no restaurant experience, but wanted to do something near their home, and do something together.

Another restaurant is set to open nearby on Second Street in Grovetown. On June 29th, Francois Savoy opened Papa Swa’s Barbecue restaurant in the old Smokey Joe’s building.

Good to see some more restaurants spreading out off of Broad St! I read about the Daquiri Bar last weekend when I was in town and look forward to trying that out ;) I had to settle for my usual downtown staples (Nacho Mamas and Pizza Joint)...

Are there currently any sub shops downtown? Not necessarily a chain (though I'm surprised there are no Subways yet), but a place that specializes in just subs/hoagies...?

On another side note, I finally got the chance to try Takosushi (though I went to the one in downtown Aiken) and loved it. I saw that they're expanding into the Greenville market. Good news to see a local restaurant's success and growth.

Just a quick question, I know the interchange at 520 and 20 in West Augusta will have a double stacked flyover bridge, but how about the intersection of Palmetto pkwy (which is 520 as well) with 20 in North Augusta? I know they are to have flyovers but will any of them be double stacked? I tried downloading the PDF on the SCDOT website but it would have taken all day!

• 1 month later...

with the stadium, the condos, lifestyle centers, convention centers, Hammond ferry across the river and what ever else the proposed, is it really to much on Augusta's plate? We have the population but the money, motivation and mindset needs to be in place. The Augusta canal expansion is the talk of the city and it sounds great but is ti just another proposal to just keep us excited. What happen to I-3 and I-14? The seven different lifestyle centers? Judicial Building? I can go all day! I dont understand the people of RURAL south Augusta, they simply just dont want the city to grow. A race track a cheap, hip way to make money for the city. It something that everyone can participate in. The only place for it is in south Augusta cause of the close proximity to diamond lake, which was a racetrack and is a sort of museum/historical site for motor sports. If we build a drag strip or track it will add a word known as "culture" to Augusta, which Augusta lacks. The Masters is great for Augusta but it is a False Advertisement of Augusta. The Augusta National will take care of itself, we need something for the city as a whole.

its not really south augusta even though hephzibah, mcbean is in south augusta. Its the ppl who stay way out in the boonies who want there country, rural, nice & quiet lifestyle past or near hephzibah. They should built it in blythe or burke county if the ppl near hephzibah mcbean dont want it. To be true south augusta is so large that you could almost built it anywhere

This is a project for the belair rd/jimmie dyess/ft. gordon area. This road from jimmie dyess to south to north belair rd in evans is growing pretty quickly. They already found out that the belair rd I-20 intersection will be one of augusta's busiest exits in the future.

A new development under way along jimmie dyess will include a 72-room hotel, stores, & a italian resturant.

Hawthorn Suites, an extended stay hotel, will be the centerpiece of a 3.5 -acre development on the parkway where it turns into South Belair Road near Interstate 20.

The suite-style limited-service hotel will feature the usual amenities, including wireless Internet, a fitness room, a pool and a breakfast bar, said co-owner A.K. Gulati, also the spokesman for the hotel's parent company, SNAK Properties LLC.

Next door will be a $1.5 million retail center that Mr. Gulati hopes to break ground on in the next two to four weeks. The 6,000-square-foot center will include retail and office space, though no other tenants have been confirmed.

He said he hopes to have the center built by March or April, in time for the Masters Tournament

The development also will include the area's first Amici Italian Cafe, a mid-priced regional restaurant chain. The Covington, Ga.-based chain also has locations in Athens, Milledgeville and Madison.

Twenty of the Hawthorne Suites rooms will come equipped with a full kitchen. The hotel also will include 500 square feet of meeting space.

Mr. Gulati said the four-story, $4 million hotel, with rates at about $80 a night, should be ready by January or February, also in time for the Masters.

Between the Masters, demand from Fort Gordon and Augusta's economic growth, it's a good move, he said.

So far it's been a good year for hotel development. Close to 200 rooms have been added this year, said Barry White, the president of the Augusta Metro Chamber of Commerce.

Occupancy through July of this year was up 4.1 percent to 62.9 percent compared with the same time last year, said Mr. White, citing data from Smith Travel Research

Great news to hear augusta added 200 hotel rooms already & its only september, with all the new hotels being built along washington, riverwatch, gordon hwy, claussen, & stevens creek im sure that number will increase real soon. I guest we have more tourist coming to augusta outside of the masters than ppl think

• 1 month later...

More great news for augusta

Augusta mayor Deke Copenhaver is in Atlanta today to meet with Atlanta mayor Shirley Franklin and developer Jim Jacoby.

Jacoby is one of those interested in a possible downtown ballpark in Augusta, and surrounding development. The mayor wants to look at some of his work in Atlanta.

Mayor Copenhaver said he and Mayor Franklin discussed ways to fight airport delays.

With augusta regional adding 2 daily flights to charlotte. We might be close to the lead btw chattanooga or a ga 2nd tier city for hartsfield's 2nd airport. I hope we get atlanta's money

MCG Health System had a grand opening for its new Cardiovascular Center for Cardiac Rehabilitation. The new outpatient center is designed to improve strength and flexibility for patients so they can avoid future heart problems.

The program includes a state of the art wellness center with a variety of exercise equipment, exercise physiologists, continuous cardiac monitoring, education classes and a number of other beneficial things.

There's only three locally owned Italian restaurants: Luigi's, Garlic Clove, and the third, Luciana's Taste of Italy, just changed hands. Luciana's lands on Furys Ferry Road in the plaza, where Earthfare is about to open.

Hey, one day an organic salad, the next fattening pasta...that's amore.

Luciana's bought out the old owners of Mimmo's and will feature their own special recipes, along with the old standbys of pasta, pizza, and salads.

There is a new restaurant set to open on Washington Road, and it features Mexican food, American food, and even Italian...with a drive thru. The new owners of Acapulco's are going to add Italian to the menu because that was Fazoli's specialty. Acapulco's will be in the same building Fazoli's vacated before Masters, and they are going to use the existing drive-thru as well..

Unlike Fazoli's, Acapulco's will serve margaritas and other traditional drinks.

Expect the opening to be in late September or early October.

Zaxby's plans its seventh CSRA location, this time in Evans. It's planned just behind the TPS station on William Few Parkway and Washington Road.

Somewhere in Augusta will have a new home on Washington Road in the old Doris Diamonds building. Expect a larger restaurant, bar, and kitchen with plans for Somewhere to open in November. They

I was in Augusta today and couldnt believe the changes made when they took the trees off I-20 for the additional lanes. I feel sorry for the homeowners and businesses it exposed but the whole strectch does make the area look a little more populous. BTW, whats the new 5-6 story hotel going up behind the Red Lobster on Washington rd, (is that the Cambria?). The little drive just seem to fill up with new hotels as of lately. The new Hilton Garden Inn looks nice too, I can only imagine how nice it will look with the new Sheraton Hotel sitting next to it.

I was in Augusta today and couldnt believe the changes made when they took the trees off I-20 for the additional lanes. I feel sorry for the homeowners and businesses it exposed but the whole strectch does make the area look a little more populous. BTW, whats the new 5-6 story hotel going up behind the Red Lobster on Washington rd, (is that the Cambria?). The little drive just seem to fill up with new hotels as of lately. The new Hilton Garden Inn looks nice too, I can only imagine how nice it will look with the new Sheraton Hotel sitting next to it.

• 3 weeks later...
More great news for augusta

Augusta mayor Deke Copenhaver is in Atlanta today to meet with Atlanta mayor Shirley Franklin and developer Jim Jacoby.

Jacoby is one of those interested in a possible downtown ballpark in Augusta, and surrounding development. The mayor wants to look at some of his work in Atlanta.

Mayor Copenhaver said he and Mayor Franklin discussed ways to fight airport delays.

With augusta regional adding 2 daily flights to charlotte. We might be close to the lead btw chattanooga or a ga 2nd tier city for hartsfield's 2nd airport. I hope we get atlanta's money

• 2 weeks later...

I think they only remodeled the holiday inn. I know on gordon hwy right off 520 there is 2 new buildings recently built one being a hotel i forgot the name. I just remember the sign because it lights up at night so you can see coming down gordon hwy. I dont know if the school is directly on deans bridge rd or off it on another rd, im sure construction is still going on though

Archived