CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Nine story East Court Street Tower

g-man430

That little website is awful! If I didn't know any better, I would think this whole thing is being run by the same amateurs as the "No Walmart on Pelham" campaign.

I think this is a matter of a bunch of busybodies with way too much time on their hands. May I suggest taking up a hobby like golf or knitting instead of making mountains out of molehills? I can't find one valid arguement for NOT turning over the land. :stop:

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That little website is awful! If I didn't know any better, I would think this whole thing is being run by the same amateurs as the "No Walmart on Pelham" campaign.

I think this is a matter of a bunch of busybodies with way too much time on their hands. May I suggest taking up a hobby like golf or knitting instead of making mountains out of molehills? I can't find one valid arguement for NOT turning over the land. :stop:

100_0786.jpg100_0787.jpg

I am not sure who put orange tape on the sidewalk (I assume this is the building)but this building will have an effect on East court street. I hope the city approves the project and has the new owners pay for the sidewalk to be rebuilt.

I think every one has the right to protest any thing but if you are going to have a web site (with a opinion) you should state who is responsible for the web site! :dontknow:

The parking under the building could be determining the footprint. You'd be surprised how much the dimension of a car and getting it into a parking space determines the widths and lengths of a buildings floorplate. My guess is its getting a double stacked parking arrangement on the ground floor that is calling fo rthe incursion onto Court St.

Even if it were a Prius, the government mandates how many spaces are needed, how wide and deep they need to be, and the distance between 2 rows. I can see your point with the sidewalk and the tree, and I think that is a valid argument. Too bad that point is not argued reasonably on Dr. Master's website (most people react to piss and vinegar in kind).

The link that RT provided to the recommendations for City council pointed out that the sidewalk would need to be widened to accomodate the amount of foot traffic present. The city will have to take that into account before making a decision. Maybe they will ask for the design to be modified, or maybe they will close off the circle to through traffic. Maybe somewhere in between. Who knows.

• 2 weeks later...
IMO this is silly. McBee Plaza isn't going anywhere, the building will sit behind the plaza and simply use a small portion of the space for steps and handicap entrance to the building. What are they trying to save? The plaza will still be there.

We could really push this group's buttons and work them into a frenzy by telling them since the nimbys killed the Super Target on Garlington, Super Target has decided to open a mini location on Main and take all the McBee Plaza and East Court space. :P

Its not supposed to be a massive sidewalk- and perhaps I'm alone here, but I usually walk IN Court Street anyway (as opposed to the sidewalks) becuase there is not major foot or vehicular traffic in that area like there is on Main St.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived