CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Nine story East Court Street Tower

g-man430

From the DPC meeting my understanding is none of the above ground building will encroach into the square but the underground parking will and the front steps and landing. The owners of the Carpenter brothers building and Bellacino's were at the DPC meeting to voice their concerns about any loss of the square and were assured that the new building would have minimum impact. The building will have benches built into it's front landing and is suppose to encourage more public use of court square.

Again the city counsel will have to decided about the encroachment not the DPC.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I love the idea of adding another "tall" building downtown but am I the only one that thinks there are waaay better places for this one? The area around Court Street seems very architechturally balanced and I see the addition of this building actually taking away from the aesthetic of the location, competing with the Poinsett, the Liberty Building, infringing on an already nice courtyard and blocking views to Devereux's.

Don't we have some UGLY portions of Main Street that we can clean up with the addition of a new building as opposed to cramming this into an already "finished" looking area? Move it to the Peacock location, that project is dying a slow death at the moment!

I have to disagree with you on this. The property where this building will go is in major need of something like this structure, and I believe it will blend very well with the surrounding architecture, based on the rendering above. It should also add to the urban connectivity along that corridor. Just my two cents... :shades:

I love the idea of adding another "tall" building downtown but am I the only one that thinks there are waaay better places for this one? The area around Court Street seems very architechturally balanced and I see the addition of this building actually taking away from the aesthetic of the location, competing with the Poinsett, the Liberty Building, infringing on an already nice courtyard and blocking views to Devereux's.

Don't we have some UGLY portions of Main Street that we can clean up with the addition of a new building as opposed to cramming this into an already "finished" looking area? Move it to the Peacock location, that project is dying a slow death at the moment!

I have to agree one this one. That courtyard next to the Liberty building is really nice. Instead of cramming another building in that spot and destroying all the work they have put into the courtyard it would be nice if the moved it somewhere else like the Peacock location or the Pinnacle. They have already done the groundwork in those places. Why tear up all the bricks, landscaping and statue?

I have to agree one this one. That courtyard next to the Liberty building is really nice. Instead of cramming another building in that spot and destroying all the work they have put into the courtyard it would be nice if the moved it somewhere else like the Peacock location or the Pinnacle. They have already done the groundwork in those places. Why tear up all the bricks, landscaping and statue?

Not going in the courtyard. The courtyard will remain. :thumbsup:

It's taking up the parking lot behind the courtyard.

Don't know about anybody else, but if I have my choice between a parking lot or a nine story building, I'll take the nine story building. For that matter, I'd even take a one story building over a parking lot. :lol:

Don't know about anybody else, but if I have my choice between a parking lot or a nine story building, I'll take the nine story building. For that matter, I'd even take a one story building over a parking lot. :lol:

Ok, I guess I was remembering wrong. I thought the building was right up next to main street. I just made the comment about the other locations in support of the other person posting here. It was sounding like the Peacock might not go through so just in case it would be better to use a site that has already been prepared instead of digging up another piece of ground. Maybe I'm think about another parking lot but out of all parking lots I really like the one back there.

I understand the point that it will be a nice building and hopefully add to the area. That parking lot its going to occupy is not on main and is nestled a few feet down and thereby hidden from view very much like the building that occupies Devereux's will be hidden by the new building. This building will have to butt up so close to that courtyard that I see it knocking the aesthetic balance of the Court St area out of whack.

It's a very pretty building and if it goes up, it will be going up in a very pretty area, agreed (if the plans for the building don't change from that of those posted, and we know that NEVER happens). That is my point, though. I wish we could be focusing on areas that need work, not those that have such a finished look to them already.

I want to stay positive and wish the project the best and the addition of a nice new building should be great. I will keep my fingers crossed.

I can't speak from personal knowledge on this, and I could be wrong, but I would venture a guess that in the '60's or '50's or '40's there was a building on this site. To put a building there now would merely be continuing the trend of restoring DT closer to the way it use to be.

I don't think a parking lot adds any aesthetic. I think your main objection is the view to the Kent building will be blocked. It is an attractive building, but if you didn't build something on that minor of a basis, you wouldn't build much of anything anywhere.

These condos will no doubt command very high prices, they wouldn't do so in a less desireable location.

I can't speak from personal knowledge on this, and I could be wrong, but I would venture a guess that in the '60's or '50's or '40's there was a building on this site. To put a building there now would merely be continuing the trend of restoring DT closer to the way it use to be.

I don't think a parking lot adds any aesthetic. I think your main objection is the view to the Kent building will be blocked. It is an attractive building, but if you didn't build something on that minor of a basis, you wouldn't build much of anything anywhere.

These condos will no doubt command very high prices, they wouldn't do so in a less desireable location.

Archived