CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Nine story East Court Street Tower

g-man430

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really not sure how this is going to destroy the Square. Is a parking lot really adding anything to the mix that is there now? I hope their campaign acheives very little.

Listening to the Hawk and Tom show the other week, when reporting the news they mentioned this. Heidi Aiken made it sound like it was destroying downtown... Of course, she also wanted to save the grass at Piazza Bergamo.

I'm really not sure how this is going to destroy the Square. Is a parking lot really adding anything to the mix that is there now? I hope their campaign acheives very little.

Listening to the Hawk and Tom show the other week, when reporting the news they mentioned this. Heidi Aiken made it sound like it was destroying downtown... Of course, she also wanted to save the grass at Piazza Bergamo.

We could really push this group's buttons and work them into a frenzy by telling them since the nimbys killed the Super Target on Garlington, Super Target has decided to open a mini location on Main and take all the McBee Plaza and East Court space. :P

Maybe Target could keep the building within the confines of the lot better than the current plans! How about we fill the other 3 corners with fast food restaurants?

Doesn't anyone see the value of adhering to codes, guidelines, and zoning regulations? Otherwise, we are at the mercy of the developers and I guarantee that they seldom have the city's best interest in mind.

I am a little surprised at how flippant some are regarding how the future of our downtown is being shaped. More times than not, if you give developers an inch, they will take a mile, or ten feet in this example. But it could be a Giant Neon sign next, who knows. I have seen first hand how poor planning and a lapse in building/zoning codes and guidelines can quickly turn a portion of town for the worse. Those negative downturns always take much more effort, time, and money to correct after the fact than had they been addressed in the planning stages.

I am sure there is a comprimise solution out there that minimizes intrusion into the court square aesthetic and areas of public use while also allowing for the best exposure and ease of entrance into the proposed building.

I don't claim to know about all of the codes, and whether they are being violated by this development or not. I would guess that nobody here does either. So we each have to decide whether the "Save McBee Plaza" website is correct or not.

With regard to Court Square, I am not worried about this development because it seems pretty clear that this development will not affect Court Square. It will infringe a matter of feet on the square, and from the sound of it they will be doing so in a manner that minimizes the impact. From what some people say, it is as if this building will take up an entire lane of Main Street and ruin everything about downtown Greenville.

Does anyone have the SPECIFICS of how EXACTLY this is going to lay out into the square? I'd be willing to give the DPC the benefit of the doubt based on past decisions but also feel as though I do not have enough information to be anything other than cautious.

I was at the DPC meeting when this was approved and the location of the building, in relationship with court square was discussed at length. From what was explained by the developers the front of the building will be located at the edge of court square were the front of a original building was located and were the present fence is located. The only part of the building that will encroach into court square will be the steps and handicap ramp. The DPC was pleased with the location, and commented that the building will help to further define court square. It was also mentioned that a building located in Sobes parking would compete the square. From what I have seen and hear this building should be a positive for downtown.

This is a lot of fuss over nothing, isn't it? :dontknow: As I understood it, the encroachment will be to extend the undergound parking 10' into the area below McBee Plaza. The plaza itself will, for all intents and purposes, remain unchanged with the exception of the steps up into the front entrance to the building, which will flow nearly seamlessly into the plaza, so the geometry of the square should remain intact. :unsure:

This is a lot of fuss over nothing, isn't it? :dontknow: As I understood it, the encroachment will be to extend the undergound parking 10' into the area below McBee Plaza. The plaza itself will, for all intents and purposes, remain unchanged with the exception of the steps up into the front entrance to the building, which will flow nearly seamlessly into the plaza, so the geometry of the square should remain intact. :unsure:

I think g-man is behind the protest, myself. :ph34r: He's opposing it just to see how many pages of discussion it will create on U.P.

Seriously though...these people have entirely too much time on their hands. This plaza can't help but be improved by this tower, when all is said and done.

I think g-man is behind the protest, myself. :ph34r: He's opposing it just to see how many pages of discussion it will create on U.P.

Seriously though...these people have entirely too much time on their hands. This plaza can't help but be improved by this tower, when all is said and done.

Archived