CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Nine story East Court Street Tower

g-man430

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not know she actually lived downtown. Good to know that she actually is in Greenville and not a vocal suburbanite, though I still don't agree with her. I wonder when they'll begin protesting the Pinnacle and the Gateway site to save the grass/weeds? :dontknow:

Well what a fuss over NOTHING! In the words of the loveable Charlie Brown; "GOOD GRIEF!" There are plenty of courtyards DT, and this one will still be there. This is a quality development. These people should save their battles for ones worth fighting. :rolleyes:

So this is still going to get underway in July erm? Is there a date, or could this actually cause a delay?

This is being led by Dr. Anne Graham Masters, wife of Bill Masters (Perception Kayaks). Her website has been updated but is still as goofy and misinformed as before.

Reading through it, I can only find one (possibly) valid point: "The Sanborn Fire Insurance maps stored in the USC digital collection shows a well designed plaza with symmetrical streets". She did not link this info, so one google later, I am looking at one of the many maps in the collection that show the square. The one map that she references from 1884 shows the symmetry. However, the map from 1920 shows that it is no longer symmetrical. As far as I'm concerned, her argument is baseless, unless she can offer some documentation showing what the symmetry was supposed to be, and that it really mattered.

Here is the link to the maps:

http://www.sc.edu/library/digital/collections/sanborn.html

This is being led by Dr. Anne Graham Masters, wife of Bill Masters (Perception Kayaks). Her website has been updated but is still as goofy and misinformed as before.

Reading through it, I can only find one (possibly) valid point: "The Sanborn Fire Insurance maps stored in the USC digital collection shows a well designed plaza with symmetrical streets". She did not link this info, so one google later, I am looking at one of the many maps in the collection that show the square. The one map that she references from 1884 shows the symmetry. However, the map from 1920 shows that it is no longer symmetrical. As far as I'm concerned, her argument is baseless, unless she can offer some documentation showing what the symmetry was supposed to be, and that it really mattered.

Here is the link to the maps:

http://www.sc.edu/library/digital/collections/sanborn.html

Thanks for letting us know it's updated. I just went to the website and can't believe the spin (in the old days I'd call it a plain lie, but in this PC world, I'll just stick to spin). There is a "newsflash" on the site claiming that "McBee Plaza is being torn up for private parking".

So am I correct in assuming that one of the major objections is that the plaza won't be a perfect square anymore. WHO CARES?! The plaza is still there. It blows my mind these people don't have an argument so the make stuff up. I hope it does get built, which I'm quite sure with the players in this one it will.

Dr. Masters' husband, Bill Masters, owns the building that Bellucino's is in, which is directly next to this proposed building. Bill Masters is a developer himself. His company builds houses on Lake Jocassee. So surely they don't have a problem with development, in and of itself. It seems to me that there is something personal going on here, more than just a desire to keep the area historic.

So what is it that set this off? Are the Masters upset that the property was not sold to them to develop? Do they have a personal beef with Mark Kent (previous owner) or one of the current developers? All of the players in this run in the same social circles (read: Upstate millionaires). They are on the same boards, and are involved with the same charities, and I am sure they have done business with eachother in the past. There are just too many ties between them to think this is just one woman with a cause. I have reached the end of my researching abilities, but I would love it if a local reporter would do some digging...

All of the players in this run in the same social circles (read: Upstate millionaires). They are on the same boards, and are involved with the same charities, and I am sure they have done business with eachother in the past. There are just too many ties between them to think this is just one woman with a cause.

Well this will probably not hender anything. Im about certain it will not. I would expect construction would get underway in july or august at the latest. Your not going to stop progress in a growing area like Greenville. Just not going to happen. They might as well give up. Look at all the proposals and construction happening now.

No one is going to get out their measuring tapes to take note of the square REALLY being a square. EVER! The nature of the square is being kept and the building is architecturally pleasing and in character with the surroundings. I doubt we really have to worry about this being held up, but this crap irritates me.

100_0786.jpg100_0787.jpg

I am not sure who put orange tape on the sidewalk (I assume this is the building)but this building will have an effect on East court street. I hope the city approves the project and has the new owners pay for the sidewalk to be rebuilt.

I think every one has the right to protest any thing but if you are going to have a web site (with a opinion) you should state who is responsible for the web site! :dontknow:

Is this where the actual building will be located or is this just the extent of the overhang of the balconies? I've never quite been clear on that aspect of this project. Even if the building itself does encroach onto the sidewalk where that orange tape/paint is, the sidewalk will still be wider than the sidewalk on the other side of South Main along the side of the Westin Poinsett and old court house buildings.

Archived