Hyatt Place Hotel

RALNATIVE

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The hotel actually sits on Navajo...on a related note, if you go to the end of Navajo, there is a small and unconnected segment of Quail Hollow Drive, which stretches a few thousand feet to the north from Hardimont to Millbrook. Anyone know if the City has plans to connect Quail Hollow through to Navajo? I'm guessing, like the two Clark Avenues, that this is another case where the neighborhood raised cain to prevent construction of an interconnecting road for fears of it turning into a throroughfare...

OK, so this is a off topic, but...

The full extension of Quail Hollow to Navaho will probably never happen as you both mentioned, but if it were to ever happen it would be part of the development process of those parcels between Navaho and St Albans Dr. One physical obstacle is Rocky Branch Creek, which has had stormwater issues in the past (city had to rebuild upstream culverts), bisects that land and would be a req'd crossing. There is also access to the neighborhoods to the north at Hardimont Rd.

I know we've discussed this in the NHE topic... I'm sure that area will get developed once NHE goes in... there will be too much pressure not to. If development extends to the east of Rocky Branch, then maybe the city would only make them extend Navaho north to St Albans, avoiding the creek.

funny that on all these internet maps, that little stub going north at the end of Navajo is labeled also as Navajo, but if you actually drive to the end of Navajo, the street sign says "Quail Hollow"...If NHE is developed as high density as has been proposed, those empty tracts south of St. Albans will be quite irresistable...the area is sort of shabby now with the crack head apartments and such, but maybe Hyatt is onto something and wants to get in early...

I always wondered why the Days Inn (formerly Red Roof) area was not well-maintained due to its proximity to Raleigh Community Hospital, the beltline, downtown, and the Falls of Neuse corridor. I guess the Navaho apartments (visible from 440, so they probably hear the beltline's traffic) are that much of a drag on the rest of the area.

However, it does illustrate how cul-de-sacs/dead ends are crime *magnets*. Once a few bad people move in, no one else wants to stay there. By preventing connectivity, the single point of entry can be monitored by one person to alert criminals about law enforcement approaching. Coupled with lazy property managment, this is a recipie for a bad area, but luckily it is isolated/kept in check by the surrounding woods/topograhpy.

Do you think, based on how they have named this one "Hyatt Place Raleigh - North", that one of the new downtown boutique hotels will be a Hyatt Place? Or that there will be an announcement of a future Hyatt Place for downtown?

CHGuy, to tell the truth, I really actually think Raleigh, or at least the Triangle, is long overdue for a Hyatt Regency. Charlotte had one, which is now being converted to condos, and there is a Hyatt in Greenville and numerous Hyatts in Virginia and Georgia. I really think the market is ready for one. Wasn't a Hyatt rumored a few years ago to looking at Glenwood South for a new location, or was that Hilton?

20 years ago my father and his partners considered building one on stilts just west of where Soleil will be. Then they toyed with putting one up the hill next to the Farm Bureau, but now it's that Extended Stay thing.

Is Hyatt Regency really that cherished a brand these days? (I do agree with you that we should have had one a long time ago.)

Archived