PROPOSED: GrandMarc

atlrvr

A texas based developer (Phoenix Property) has proposed a 1,140-bed student dorm to be located on the YMCA site between Huntington Ave. and St. Botolph, right next to NU's campus. It will be built over part of the existing Y.

There is a rendering in the Courant, but not available online. It looks pretty boxy. The interesting thing about this dorm is that it will be available to a student at any Boston school. Of course neighbors aren't happy....too tall, too many rooms. Even the university's aren't supporting this building as they see it as competition to their own buildings.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Certainly an interesting proposal. 34 stories seems a lot higher than other buildings near NU, no? I do like the idea of inter-school dormitories though, definitely sounds like it'd be an interesting experience.

I love it, it looks like its being built on a parking lot. And that rendering looks like it will be behind the YMCA so it won't be growing right out of the sidewalk, it'll be set back.

I am all for this project. While not the most amazing design, the building looks good (I also like how it is set back from the street), will infuse life into the area, and composes a great idea of merging several student bodies into one dorm. It would also be privately owned, something that is surprisingly rare in Boston.

Unfortunately, it looks like the NIMBY's are already jumping on it. Even though this isn't a really great community, the people living around it are strongly opposed because they are afraid of "Animal House" style partying.

I hate NIMBY's.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some better renderings. Also, the buidling height will be 345' to the top of the highest occupied floor, quite a bit higher than the 220' Northeast dorm on Huntington.

Huntington Ave from the east.

post-1289-1179777802_thumb.jpg

Huntington Ave from the west.

post-1289-1179777811_thumb.jpg

St Botolph from the west.

post-1289-1179777836_thumb.jpg

And a skyline shot from above St. Botolph.

post-1289-1179777850_thumb.jpg

It's a little better with this detailing, though still not awe inspiring. I suppose high-design translates into high rents, so that might defeat the purpose of this building.

post-1289-1179777802_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1179777811_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1179777836_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1179777850_thumb.jpg

Archived