Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRDadof3

Louis Campau Promenade Reconstruction

19 posts in this topic

This originally was tucked into the Marriott thread, but figured it could use its own thread now that it will begin soon. It will include a complete rebuild of Louis Campau Promenade (the entire plaza) down between the Founders Bldg and 99 Monroe, as well as stretching all the way across 99 Monroe. As I understand it, they are still looking for an item to serve as a "focal" point of this plaza, perhaps a fountain and/or sculpture.

421146195_312e1c4c23_b.jpg

This couldn't have come any sooner. That area has fallen into heavy disrepair, but I did notice they have the utilities now marked off getting ready for demo.

488190695_566f9ac2d3.jpg

488190675_81341c5c19.jpg

488184237_bf30f887af.jpg

488184181_b6f4ef2f6a.jpg

488190741_998aa18a69.jpg

This sign looks nice. Is it me, or has this sign filled up recently? (I thought there was only one tenant on it a couple of weeks ago).

488184149_fb1ccc216f.jpg

This originally was tucked into the Marriott thread, but figured it could use its own thread now that it will begin soon. It will include a complete rebuild of Louis Campau Promenade (the entire plaza) down between the Founders Bldg and 99 Monroe, as well as stretching all the way across 99 Monroe. As I understand it, they are still looking for an item to serve as a "focal" point of this plaza, perhaps a fountain and/or sculpture.

Or a monument of Campau? Just sayin'....

For the record, the article states, "The project calls for landscaped beds, planters, benches, ornamental lighting and brick pavers placed on a concrete base. the new pavers are supposed to have a longer life than the original ones, in addition to making the site more aesthetically appealing." It also mentions the "focal" point you bring up, stating, "The project leaves space for an art piece that could be anchored near the entry on Monroe Avenue. "

I wonder why the habit in downtown sidewalks and on brick streets around the city is to lay concrete first and lay paver in sand on top is so prevalent. Or on some sidewalks they cement them in place. The winter always breaks up the cement. The best way, used by local paver installers, is to lay about 8" pecial gravel or "chips and dust" over the soil, compact it, and lay the pavers in an inch of paver sand on top of that. The water can seep through, stormwater runoff is reduced, the surface is strong enough to carry traffic and the pavers stay in place.

I wonder why the habit in downtown sidewalks and on brick streets around the city is to lay concrete first and lay paver in sand on top is so prevalent. Or on some sidewalks they cement them in place. The winter always breaks up the cement. The best way, used by local paver installers, is to lay about 8" pecial gravel or "chips and dust" over the soil, compact it, and lay the pavers in an inch of paver sand on top of that. The water can seep through, stormwater runoff is reduced, the surface is strong enough to carry traffic and the pavers stay in place.

wow, those renderings look nice compared to the present... dump.

I'm also curious as to whether or not there are plans to renovate the skywalk over the promenade (and the rest of the habitrail looking facade along the parking ramp). putting a decent looking skywalk there would jazz things up as well... Although I'm never sure where the founders trust building ends and the ramp begins. Who owns what there?

This project has now been moved to next year. Too much private utility work needs to be done to get it finished before the Marriott and GRAM Grand Openings (apparently). :(

This project has now been moved to next year. Too much private utility work needs to be done to get it finished before the Marriott and GRAM Grand Openings (apparently). :(

It's been a year (almost), any word on whether these renovations are still in the works?

With the Marriot done, it would be nice to have a more attractive pedestrian approach.

Finally a word on this project in last week's DDA agenda. Work is set to begin around Sept. 1st and should be done before the end of the construction season (deer hunting season starts).

Here are some more watercolors of different angles:

From the JW Marriott:

2665298930_c78ba42846_o.jpg

From the roof of the Art Museum:

2664472987_b91fa980ac_o.jpg

From the roof of the BOB

2664473235_bb01bb7b96_o.jpg

It's going to look very nice! Any mention of a "feature" for the promenade? I thought they had talked about the possibility of something prominent like a sculpture, clock or fountain at one time.

Joe

It's going to look very nice! Any mention of a "feature" for the promenade? I thought they had talked about the possibility of something prominent like a sculpture, clock or fountain at one time.

Joe

We stayed at the JW with my in-laws on our way up to the Leelanau Peninsula almost a month ago. We walked over to Tre Cugini for drinks via the Promenade. I said to myself as we walked over the rubble, "boy I wish this was finished." BTW, we tried to catch a table out along the river in front of the JW, but it was packed with 20 something

the young urban professionals will be flocking to downtown now...

It's wierd how I was wondering how this project was coming along today and then someone decided to bump the thread. :thumbsup: Cool pic too.