Founders Brewery Relocation

joeDowntown

It seems like this page has been forgotten recently so I thought I'd revive it and see if anyone has any updates. I also heard that Grandville Ave is getting some mosaic art sculptures to go along with the street revamp. The grand unveiling is on Oct 29 at 4pm.

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/developmentnews/default.aspx

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I asked that specific question of Mike Stevens (Prez of Founders). He said they would do their darndest to try to keep the atmosphere the same. He mentioned not expanding the food offerings beyond what they are now other than to extend service hours ("We're a brewery, not a restaurant"). Still the same bands. Said the skylights will add killer character. As of a couple months ago the plan was to keep the beat-up chairs & tables they currently have (they were built by the owners and friends 10 years ago) & to try to build more, but I suspect they'll end up getting new tables & chairs. The plan (again, a few months ago when I talked to Mike) is a mix of 2, 4, and 6-top tables with some higher tables & stools as well. The outside patio was to have tables (no picnic tables). But what is essentially a brand-new brewery, (thankfully) non-smoking, and with room to move about even? Doesn't seem like it will be as rough around the edges as the old place, but in a good way. :dontknow:

The non-smoking thing is a HUGE draw for me, but I think parking is going to be tougher, especially when there are events at the Intersection. Currently I can park at the Canal St Park and walk over. I know they are going to add a (pay-for-)parking lot behind the building but I wonder how many cars it will hold. (Sorry, hate to bring up parking on this board :scared: ).

I hear ya qouteme3...! You and I have seen this occur numerous times in the past while at 212-216 parking cars at night :) It happens everywhere and can be difficult to manage at times. Hopefully they will not have to encounter this.

We had to keep an account at Merl's Towing so that our tenants could park at 206 Grandville as well as 216 Grandville. This area like you say is ripe for poaching.

I hear ya qouteme3...! You and I have seen this occur numerous times in the past while at 212-216 parking cars at night :) It happens everywhere and can be difficult to manage at times. Hopefully they will not have to encounter this.

We had to keep an account at Merl's Towing so that our tenants could park at 206 Grandville as well as 216 Grandville. This area like you say is ripe for poaching.

I went to the "sneak preview" for mug club members last night. I must say, I REALLY like it. I kinda wish I'd taken a camera. The bar is huge and has this nice curve to it. On the south end of the building there is a big glass wall that you can look through to some of the production facilities. Then behind the equipment on the south wall there's a giant mural that was painted by the owner's wife, Jamie.

The bathrooms have more than one toilet! And perhaps best of all, I did not smell like an ashtray when I got home!

I wondered how the radiant heating for the smokers on the patio would work. I went out there to try it, and it pretty much just makes it so your not freezing your ass off. It's definitely not warm like inside. But, I guess it doesn't have to be.

I'm kind of curious where they are going to put the bands when they play. I'd guess down at the south end. Don't know that the acoustics will be very good though. Also, there is a brand new pool table at the north end. I thought they might have a few larger TVs, to cater to the sports crowd, but I didn't really see any. Just a couple of small ones like at the old place.

I know I will certainly be back, and I'm much more likely to go see some live music when it doesn't involve my eyes and throat burning from the smoke.

Checked out the new brewery last night.

Place is huge, at least compared to the old one. Probably double the seating plus lots more open space, a designated stage for bands, and a dedicated area for the pool table. Bar looks to be about 3x longer than the old one. Bathrooms are 1000x better than the Brassworks ones.

Lots of dark wood tones; with an open ceiling and exposed ductwork/pipes it is reminiscent of the old place. Not as homey I suppose, but certainly not overly bright inside either (like New Holland's yuppie paradise). There's a cool 2-story mural on the wall behind the brewhouse that I guess the owner's wife painted.

Biggest letdown is the beer, or rather the selection. They haven't brewed for over 2 weeks now so pickings are slim. They're not selling growlers or kegs of anything right now. I didn't get an estimate of when they'd be back up to full speed but I would suggest stocking up on Founders stuff now as I suspect it will be pretty rare in December/January at least.

Archived