Louisiana Festivals

richyb83

Is it just me?? Or does Louisiana have more festivals per capita than anywhere in the U.S.?? Do other states have all these festivals everywhere?? I'm not even including Mardi Gras!

Of course Louisiana's larger city's are known to have big festivals like the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival(just completed) and French Quarter Festival,etc; Shreveport has MudBug Madness(coming in a few weeks) and Red River Revel; Baton Rouge just had Fest for All, Hot-Air Baloon Festival and Earth Day; Lafayette has Festivals Acadiens, etc. And there are many more festivals in these cities I did not even mention.

What impresses me with Louisiana is all of the festivals in smaller towns that may never be mentioned on UP otherwise like the.....

(especially all of the food, harvest, & wild game festivals!!!)

*Strawberry Festival in Ponchatoula (largest festival in La.?)

*Crawfish Festival- Breaux Bridge

*Rice Festival- Crowley

*Frog Festival- Rayne

*Peach Festival- Ruston

*Watermelon Festival- Franklinton

*Catfish Festival- Winnsboro

*Seafood Festival- Mandeville

* Oyster Festival- Amite

* Jambalaya Festival- Gonzales

* Alligator Festival- Franklin

* Pecan Festival- Colfax

* Blueberry Festival- Mansfield

* Shrimp & Petroleum Festival- Morgan City

* Andouille Festival- LaPlace

* Pepper Festival- St.Martinville

* Sugar Cane Festival- New Iberia

* Duck Festival- Gueydan

*Cotton Festival- Ville Platte

* Tamale Festival in Zwolle

You get the point :shades: There are really too many to name!

Music Festivals like the Zydeco Festival in Plaisance and the Cajun Music Festival in Mamou and too many more to count!!!

Then there is the Christmas Festival in Natchitoches and too many Bon Fires along the Mississippi River to count!

>Please feel free to add to this list :thumbsup:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my favorite festivals is the Italian Festival in Independence. (Tangipahoa Parish)

Lots of great food, people, and things to do for kids and adults. I definately recommend it to anyone in SE Louisiana, it's well worth the drive, how ever long it is!

• 1 month later...

Essence Fest is coming up next week in New Orleans. Artists performing in the Superdome include: Ciara, Ludacris, Isley Brothers, O'Jays, Robin Thicke, Steve Harvey, Chris Brown, Beyonce, Kelly Rowland, NE-YO, MAZE, Lionel Richie, Mary J. Blige, Ruben Studdard, Common, MC Lyte, Public Enemy, and the Rebirth Brass Band.

Also, presidential candidate Barack Obama will also be a Mainstage "special guest" on July 5th.

Essence reclaims 'rightful home'

Music, cultural fest called crucial to N.O.

T-P article

The festival is expected to draw 200,000 visitors and $130 million to the city.

Analysts predicted occupancy rates at local hotels to hover around the mid-80 percent range during the festival, but William Langkopp, executive vice president for the Greater New Orleans Hotel and Lodging Association, reported hotel occupancy rates in the low 90s.

Archived