$100 million FBI office to rise in Corktown

wolverine

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How could anyone call this 'revitalization'? This is no such thing. While it will pump extra money into the city's coffers, it will in now way add anything of any real value to the urban fabric of Corktown. The idea that this will produce any type of meaningful spin-off (hello? An fenced-off/wall-off government compound), is equally ridiculous.

Wolverine,

Knowing that these things require large buffer zones, these days, that would be all the more reason to stick it somewhere outside of the city center. That's why I didn't have much of a problem with the suburban-styled Federal Reserve Complex that was built a few years back which is effectively a security compound. I just don't get why city leaders feel the need to build these type of developments in city centers knowing how they offer nothing to the surrounding neighborhood, when they could just as easily stir the development to a more suburban area of town, which would make everyone happy. Developers these days keep trying to recreate Southfield in Detroit, and it just doesn't work, and never will. It's not like this was a chose of keeping the FBI in Detroit or losing it to the suburbs. There are many more suitable locations that such a complex could have been located without interferring with the exisiting street-grid and one of the few historic, urban neighborhoods Detroit has left.

Why is this still an issue? Dose everyone here enjoy complaining about it? Really, just let it go. We all know that no one here likes this design, or layout, or what ever. Its not like you can do anything about it.

Sorry if I sound annoyed, it is because I am.

So let us all aggree that it sucks and move on to more interesting and relevent things, please.

Why is this still an issue? Dose everyone here enjoy complaining about it? Really, just let it go. We all know that no one here likes this design, or layout, or what ever. Its not like you can do anything about it.

So let us all aggree that it sucks and move on to more interesting and relevent things, please.

Make a dent? are you kidding me? They are about to leave a very large skyscraper downtown vacant because they are moving into this boring-ass campus. At least we could get something nice out of it. My problem is its a double loser. We get a building that does nothing for the neighborhood, and then downtown, we get left with a vacant skyscraper, which will probably be difficult to fill with our slow economy.

We can't always be cheerleaders to Detroit. Development is not always good. The reason why so many people are upset here is because this structure has nothing to contribute to our city, but through design or perhaps enlargement and renovations of their existing space would be a more prudent choice in using our existing office space, as well as keeping land available for smart development.

Yes, we are merely a forum, what we say can't change anything. But it fosters discussion in Detroit issues and smart growth that many forumers take interest in. Not all of us want to gloss over the projects and say "it's great" just because it's new.

I can understand some topics get beaten to death, like Michigan Central Station. But once and awhile, we get a new forumer that has some fresh ideas to contribute, and we are willing to listen to everyone.

If people feel this development is so great, explain why. Maybe this FBI building will provide visual enhancement to a blighted area. Maybe its presence will call for new sidewalks and repaving of Michigan Ave. There will be people that will obnoxiously complain about it, yes. But there always positives that can be brought up. So why not say them?

Maybe I just never noticed anything, but beyond repaving the adjacent sidewalks (and closing down some streets), the government hasn't worked towards revitalizing the area around the building. Like I said, I might just not have noticed it, but I think that those government agencies act more like normal office tenants than anything else. As far as I know they don't have budgets for beautifying the area around them.

What do these types of buildings do in places like Manhattan?

They usually shut down any street that runs to close to the building, just like they did at the McNamara building in the ally that runs behind the building. I think Detroit got lucky in that the building was placed far enough away from the roads that they were able to put up those massive flower beds to keep any car bombs, yes those aren't there to look pretty, out of the plaza that surronds the building.

Archived