More Hotel Space Needed in the Triangle

While trying to book a hotel room during the week, I just realized how badly we need additional rooms in this area ---at all price levels. The rates in this area rival the top metropolitan areas in the country. During the week, it is virtually impossible to find a 3+ star hotel anywhere in the area for under $140/night, and over half of the hotels that I checked on a Wednesday night were completely sold out. I can only imagine how much business is lost as a result of the high prices and lack of rooms. Hopefully the new hotels scheduled to come online soon with ease this problem.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, I'm glad to hear this, to be honest. With all the talk about all the new hotels coming in, especially 5 downtown Ral (Marriott, Lafayette, Reynolds Tower, Loft and Hampton) and I think one or two in downtown Durham---I was actually getting kinda worried that we didn't have the market to make all of them work.

Glad to hear that may not be the case.

While trying to book a hotel room during the week, I just realized how badly we need additional rooms in this area ---at all price levels. The rates in this area rival the top metropolitan areas in the country. During the week, it is virtually impossible to find a 3+ star hotel anywhere in the area for under $140/night, and over half of the hotels that I checked on a Wednesday night were completely sold out. I can only imagine how much business is lost as a result of the high prices and lack of rooms. Hopefully the new hotels scheduled to come online soon with ease this problem.

I went to Atlanta in March and really struggled with settling on a hotel. There were about 10 really good possibilities, each with their own set of plusses and minuses. Then a friend emailed me and said he is looking for a hotel for a football game for the fall and I looked around here for something for him. The options pale considerably and it made me sad. :cry:

Get of the hotel path and try www.bbchannel.com. It is a bed/breakfast portal and I cut my lodging price in half in DC by booking a place I found on this website. It was clean, quiet, and in short walking distance of Metro and Adams Morgan.

I have to tell this story and I hope we never get to this point, but I went to San Jose in late 1999. Through our very large and extensive travel service at work, I was able to get a room. That room was in Oakland. The entire southern bay area was locked down full. Now, if you have ever been to the Bay area, you will realize that can be good 3-4 hour drive during morning traffic from Oakland to Santa Clara. A lot has to do with what side of the bay you are on. :dontknow:

I was visiting a company and they were able to find a room one exit from Candlestick stadium or 3 or so from San Francisco so my case improved. But.................

Long story-short, a guy who worked with me decided to go at the last moment and said he got a room at another hotel thinking he was right beside the company location so we decided to share a car. He ended up in an hotel on the other side of the bay and it took us 3 1/2 hours to get to the company we were visiting. :tough: I was POed !!

I know hotels are tight here and especially were back in the late '90s. I hope we never get to that point in RTP.

Archived