PROPOSED: New Boston FBI Office

atlrvr

The FBI has been shopping for new Boston digs for a while now, with proposals from developers due last month. They were requiring around 300,000 sq. ft. of space, and of course lots of security features they could make the building quite un-urban.

In today's Herald, it was reported that a site on D St in South Boston next to the convention center, and by the proposed Waterside Place mall, is the most preferred site.

Palandjian, who is head of Intercontinental Real Estate, is currently planning a major housing complex for the tract in South Boston

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't necessarily think that moving this headquarters to the suburbs is a great idea, I just don't understand the need to do it here. The waterfront is an up and coming hot spot of Boston (hopefully) and I can't see any possible benefits that an FBI office would bring to the area. I actually think that it would be detrimental to the area, as it would create a sense that there is always someone from the feds watching you at every turn. That can't possibly good for an area that wants to become a hot spot for locals and tourists visiting Boston.

• 4 weeks later...

you should see the fbi's planned headquarters in downtown detroit... talk about anti-urban

theyre tearing down a 20+ story bldg to build it, creating a giant superblock (and closing some streets), fencing/walling the perimeter with a large lawn surrounding the 8 story building

Archived