LR Losing Alltel

Per Roby Brock's Talk Biz blog, via the AT Blog:

"UPDATE: Roby Brock's Talk Business has some details that could contribute to uneasiness about LR holding onto most Alltel jobs. In addition to a new network operations center in Tulsa, Verizon has recently opened a new customer service center in Tulsa and a new regional headquarters in Nashville. Would duplicate operations be necessary in LR?"

Certainly not good news. This might turn out even worse than expected...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there isn't a major downsizing at the Alltel HQ campus then things might work out better that expected. I doubt if Verizon holds on to the 30 acres of undeveloped land Alltel now owns in Riverdale. This would be prime land for a number of future projects.

If there isn't a major downsizing at the Alltel HQ campus then things might work out better that expected. I doubt if Verizon holds on to the 30 acres of undeveloped land Alltel now owns in Riverdale. This would be prime land for a number of future projects.

They are nowhere near an official announcement but I hear from high level people at Alltel that the vast majority of jobs will remain and the buildings will remain occupied. Most of the executive structure will not be retained or will have to move to NY/NJ.

Interesting article about Alltel on the Arkansas News Bureau site. It talks about Alltel trying to buy Sprint, AT&T Wireless and T-Mobile before Alltel was bought out. Also, it talks about Scott Ford's efforts to retain Alltel workers in Little Rock. He has discussed this with Gov. Beebe and it includes the possibilities of attracting high-tech, knowledge-based companies from the coasts to take advantage of the Alltel workforce. It looks as though Ford wants to build up Little Rock.

The reasons for Verizon buying Alltel are the synergies (also known as workforce reductions) that can be achieved. If you look at Verizon's and the other top telecommunication companies' acquistions they buy smaller companys in order to grow their subscriber base and consolidate operations. Because of their nature most telecommunication jobs can be performed from anywhere, even overseas. Although they may at first say they will keep most jobs here in Arkansas over time they will move to more centralized locations.

When Alltel spun off Windstream they were signaling their intentions. If their plan had been to grow and become a major player in the industry they would have acquired companies like Sprint/Nextel and even Centurytel. They were in a strong position to make those moves but instead chose to make themselves an acquisition target.

Even though SA is a bigger market AT&T is also bigger than Alltel which is what I took your comment to mean. I would say LR:Alltel equates to SA:ATT. That is certainly good news for SA if they are only moving around 700 jobs. Now we need some good news like that from Verizon.

I think it meant more like they were moving 700 jobs and then giving the rest pink slips. Well, at least that's what i saw on cnn. I dont think thats good news.

I think Little Rock would be lucky if we get to keep any of the staff. Verizon only wants the Alltel network & Customers(most of the ones i know plan to leave before the merger, or so they say.) I feel bad for the employess. I have a friend who worked for Alltel, but recently left and went to windstream. I bet she is thankful. For all we know, this could be good. I would feel better if they didnt just build a regional office in Nashville.

Ouch, that is not good news. I took your post wrong.

I know quit a few people who work there now and they do not have a good feeling. I actually know a girl whose first day on the job was the day all of the employees got "the e-mail" saying they had been sold. That is some bad luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Any new insider information on this topic? I saw an article not long ago that said the LR economy would be able to absorb Alltel employees even if every job was cut or shipped off, but I am hoping that some jobs still remain in LR. One thing I do know is both the city and the state is looking into incentives to keep some jobs here.

Any new insider information on this topic? I saw an article not long ago that said the LR economy would be able to absorb Alltel employees even if every job was cut or shipped off, but I am hoping that some jobs still remain in LR. One thing I do know is both the city and the state is looking into incentives to keep some jobs here.

johnny why can you not debate without changing your statements. Your first statement said it would take 15-20 years and gas would be $10 a gallon. Then you come back and say drilling would not have an effect for 10-15 years. Then you say in 30 years gas will be $12 a gallon. If this drilling will not effect the price of oil don't you think gas will not increase more than $2 a gallon over a 15-20 year period. You along with your collection of the highly educated keep saying that new drilling will have little or no effect to drop gas prices. Did you ever think what it will cost if drilling is not done? Does it not matter to you that gas produced in America will keep the U.S. from sending money to another country? "Every barrel of ANWR oil production reduces crude oil imports by about a barrel", Energy Information Administration. As for car batteries let me clear up my statement. I was talking about the batteries that will be in electric cars. Have you thought about how to dispose of those? As for you so-called correction about transmission lines going to the "the metropolises in East" you never did say east Texas. If you have ever lived in Texas you would know that none of the cities you listed are in east Texas. There is not a person living in Austin or San Antonio would ever consider themselves to be living in east Texas.

• 2 weeks later...

From Arkansas Business Journal:

CEO: Verizon Will Keep Little Rock Campus As Regional HQ

Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam, speaking in Little Rock, says the company will keep Alltel Corp.'s Little Rock campus as a regional headquarters after Verizon completes its buyout of Alltel.

McAdam made the announcement at a noon speech at the Statehouse Convention Center in Little Rock.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article.as...87.62762.119432

From Arkansas Business Journal:

CEO: Verizon Will Keep Little Rock Campus As Regional HQ

Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam, speaking in Little Rock, says the company will keep Alltel Corp.'s Little Rock campus as a regional headquarters after Verizon completes its buyout of Alltel.

McAdam made the announcement at a noon speech at the Statehouse Convention Center in Little Rock.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article.as...87.62762.119432

They are nowhere near an official announcement but I hear from high level people at Alltel that the vast majority of jobs will remain and the buildings will remain occupied. Most of the executive structure will not be retained or will have to move to NY/NJ.

Archived