Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Memphis Love

Sister City of Memphis

What city is most like Memphis?   48 members have voted

1. 1. food, culture, nightlife, etc.

• New Orleans
    • Birmingham
    • St. Louis
    • Chicago
    • Kansas City
    • Other, please explain

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 posts in this topic

I saw this poll in the New Orleans room and thought that it would be nice to see what people thought of as a sister city of Memphis. These were the only ones that I could think of, so if you know of any others please list and explain. :thumbsup:

In terms of food, culture and nightlife as stated in the poll, New Orleans is definitely closest. We have a unique food (BBQ), unique music (blues -> rockabilly -> rock&roll), and pretty good nightlife revolving around the 1st two.

In terms of living here, I'd probably pick it closer to Jacksonville. Cities are similar size with small metros relative to core city population, demographics are similar, large river running through town, one major league franchise, slow and steady but strong economies spread out among various industries (though MEM has a far larger logistics core), core city population growth through annexation (consolidation in JAX's case), hot and sweaty in summer, not too bad in winter.

It's an interesting topic. Other potential Southern combos: Nashville and Charlotte want to be like their big sister Atlanta (capital of the South), Raleigh-Huntsville (high tech); Birmingham-Richmond (declining inner cities); Jackson-Montgomery-Little Rock (small capitals); Savannah-Charleston (historic ports); Tallahassee-Lexington-Knoxville (mid-size learning centers); Mobile-Shreveport-Columbus, GA (mid-size industrial cities). Hmmm...can't think of a good fit for Louisville. Maybe pair Memphis-New Orleans and Louisville-Jacksonville?

Actually Louisville's sister city could be us. We got the Mississippi River, they got the Ohio River. UofM, UofL. St Jude, Jewish Hospital. Both are the largest city but not capital. I also think that we are sister cities to St Louis and New Orleans.

I'm not sure about New Orleans/Memphis. Although they have some similarities--, the River, an emphasis on music--culturally and physically, I don't think there's much of a comparison. In many ways, New Orleans is an old northern city--dense, pre-automobile neighborhoods that are ethnic enclaves--Italian, Irish, Latino, etc.--all bound together in this vaguely French, vaguely Spanish civic culture. Even the music is different from Memphis.

Someone once described New Orleans as a mixture of Newark and Port au Prince, Haiti. I think that was pretty accurate.

Actually, I think Louisville would be more of a sister city to Memphis than New Orleans.

I lived in New Orleans for 25 years, so I'm not just flapping my jaws. :)

Also, if you dropped someone from Minneapolis in either the center of Nashville or Memphis, it would take them awhile to figure out which city they were in.

I see similarities with St. Louis. I can see a bit of all of these cities having something in common with Memphis, but St. Louis and MEM are pretty close:

both river towns on the Mississippi

both have some "grit" to them but still have the niceties elsewhere

both have large airports with the "smallest hub" status for their main tenant

Cards/Redbirds connection

music

both have a very classy zoo

both are growing with light rail plans (granted, St. Louis is ahead of Memphis)

Actually Louisville's sister city could be us. We got the Mississippi River, they got the Ohio River. UofM, UofL. St Jude, Jewish Hospital. Both are the largest city but not capital. I also think that we are sister cities to St Louis and New Orleans.

I voted New Orleans. Nashville residents often think bad about Memphis just as Baton Rouge residents think bad about N.O. Crime. Music. Large African-American population. Food. Culture. Night life. The Mississippi River. The list can go on and on, but I think the two are more cousins than sisters. :dontknow:

After reading the topic of the thread and thinking for about 3 seconds, Louisville was the first city I thought of, although I think St. Louis is another good candidate. They are all inland river cities. Cincinatti is another possible contender. But New Orleans does invoke some comparisons, so it's worth considering.

I would say Louisville. They both are on large rivers, have main cargo hubs, similar size in population, and Louisville also has a double-decker, smaller version of the Hernando Desoto Bridge named the Sherman Minton Bridge.

I would say Louisville. They both are on large rivers, have main cargo hubs, similar size in population, and Louisville also has a double-decker, smaller version of the Hernando Desoto Bridge named the Sherman Minton Bridge.

It seems like every restaurant in Memphis has at least a couple of New Orleans-themed dishes on the menu.

I've never been to Louisville but I always thought it was significantly smaller than Memphis in population. Was I wrong about that?

It seems like every restaurant in Memphis has at least a couple of New Orleans-themed dishes on the menu.

Yep, but what was neat about New Orleans is not just the fact that it obviously has "New Orleans food", but that it was sold at every neighborhood grocery and bar on every other corner. And it was dirt cheap as well. You'd just walk a couple hundred feet to the local grocery and buy jambalaya, boiled crabs, shrimp poorboys, you name it.

And no comparison btwn NO and Memphis food is accurate unless you ignore the absolute abundance of seafood in restaurants and markets that New Orleans offers. Memphis doesn't have that.

As a New Orleanian, I've always viewed New Orleans and Memphis as "sisters" or "cousins," whatever you prefer, because of the Mississippi River alone. In New Orleans, you really get a feeling that the Misssissippi is part of the city in every way, it's not just "there." No other river city I've been to has been able to duplicate that, but Memphis was very similar, IMO. That was probably my favorite part about Memphis, and of course the food, music, culture, nightlife, etc. certainly didn't hurt!

Memphis and New Orleans are definitely similar.

Memphis=Beale St.

New Orleans=Bourbon St.

Memphis=Orange Mound

N.O.=Treme

Mardi Gras=New Orleans

Memphis in May=Memphis

East Memphis & Garden District=another comparison

Both cities have the music, culture, nightlife, great food & crime issues. The only difference I see between N.O. & Memphis is that Memphis got rid of most, if not all their housing projects. Memphis inner-city is made up of hoods. Inner-city New Orleans is wards & projects.

East Memphis & Garden District=another comparison

I chose "other" as I see Memphis and Detroit as fairly similar. Both have: music fame, political ills, decaying inner city, nwa hubs, demographic makeup is similar, Detroit has the auto industry and Memphis has the distribution industry.

New Orleans I would definitely consider a cousin to Memphis as is St. Louis. Actually just about any Mississippi River City copuld be a cousin, except Minneapolis which is just leaps and bounds ahead of most Southern cities in terms of thinking, doing and actualizing/materializing that "American Dream" for a greater number of its residents.