Highrise/office building windows

I really would like to know why there was this idea of building buildings where they can't open or at least vent a little. What's wrong with fresh air? And if it's hot outside and the AC goes (like my situation right now), it gets quite steamy. Then if the heat is still on in the winter and there's a warm day, wouldn't it be better to crack a window and let some air in? What is the reasoning behind windows that can't be opened?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes, people would leave them open and it would throw off the HVAC systems which are callibrated to provide X amount of fresh air, at X temperature for that particular room. Basically by maintaining a constant environment on each floor, it's easier to control and keep costs down.

BTW, sometimes people may not know it, but their windows might open. They pivot on-center.

Just a thought. Why not build a high rise that has its top and ground windows open during the summer. This would create what is known as the Stacked Effect. Warmer air rising up the tower and escaping through the top floor windows would draw in cooler air in from the open ground floor windows and up the tower. Termite mounds in Africa use this effect to help regulate the temperature of the termite nest inside. If it works for termites, it would work for a high rise, saving the owners on cooling costs.

The only highrise I've been in that had windows you could open is the Empire State Building. I went to a party on the 73rd Floor on 4th of July in 2005. And of course I took pics!

Note the open window...

103534059.jpg

Hanging out the window (it only takes a few drinks!)

103536625.jpg

Great view of the fireworks from the window

103534019.jpg

Just a thought. Why not build a high rise that has its top and ground windows open during the summer. This would create what is known as the Stacked Effect. Warmer air rising up the tower and escaping through the top floor windows would draw in cooler air in from the open ground floor windows and up the tower. Termite mounds in Africa use this effect to help regulate the temperature of the termite nest inside. If it works for termites, it would work for a high rise, saving the owners on cooling costs.

Archived