Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenneth Disraili-Jean

Atlanta's name

41 posts in this topic

I am a native Atlantan born at Emory Crawford Long Hostipal in Midtown on Peachtree. It seems this started during the Olympic games. Many native Atlantans say, ATLAN-A, but the press started with making sure that the T on the end was pronounced as ATLAN-TA. Could anyone tell which is the correct way to pronounce my city's name correctely????????

I am a native Atlantan born at Emory Crawford Long Hostipal in Midtown on Peachtree. It seems this started during the Olympic games. Many native Atlantans say, ATLAN-A, but the press started with making sure that the T on the end was pronounced as ATLAN-TA. Could anyone tell which is the correct way to pronounce my city's name correctely????????

Well, that is what I thought, but since Atlanta has taken on this " I'm sofisticated" attitude, many referr to it as ATLAN-TA.

or, like many Georgians, you can just say "Lanna," as in, "Yep, me and the family are heading up to Lanna to check out that new fish tank they got, uh uh." :D

Down this way, people say, "Atlaaaanta" myself included. (Long A sound)

or, like many Georgians, you can just say "Lanna," as in, "Yep, me and the family are heading up to Lanna to check out that new fish tank they got, uh uh." :D

I've always pronounced it (phonetically broken down) AT-LAN-TA, but I'm originally from North of here.

I never knew Georgians outside of the metro area called our town Lanna. Now that is something to write home about.

Let's see, now I am more confused than ever!!!!!!! So far we have AT-LANNA, LANNA, AT-LAAAAN-TA, AT-LAN-TA, and UH-LANNA, OMG how will we ever figure this out???????????????????????

Depending on how I feel at the moment it's either Atlanna or, when I feel like putting in a little more effort, Atlanta.

As far as I know, all the letters in the name are supposed to be pronounced...not that everyone does it, though.

BTW, I'm moving this to the Coffeehouse :)

Depending on how I feel at the moment it's either Atlanna or, when I feel like putting in a little more effort, Atlantta.

As far as I know, all the letters in the name are supposed to be pronounced...not that everyone does it, though.

BTW, I'm moving this to the Coffeehouse :)

I thought it was pronounced "The A-T-L" ? :thumbsup:

That's how cool people pronounce it. Gives them street cred. ;)

Since I am a new member, why did you move this topic to the coffeehouse? Is it some sort of punishment or something?????

No, there's nothing wrong with this topic and you haven't done anything wrong.

I moved the topic here to the off-topic forum because it didn't have much to to with urban developments/discussion.

OMG, Thank you for the good news, I was so worried, and I am really enjoying this UrbanPlanet so much. It is much better than skyscraperpage.com and agoraphoria.com (part of glasssteelandstone.com)

the pronunciation of the second 't' is not the exclusive hallmark of sophistication or good diction. i have known a deep-south old soul or two with that gracious, antebellum southern accent that seems to to be dying out, who pronounces the second 't' - these are the same people who say "DAH-lin.'"

say it however you want and be not apologetic for it - particularly if you're a native of the deep south. as a native, you set the tone. say it as you like.

the pronunciation of the second 't' is not the exclusive hallmark of sophistication or good diction. i have known a deep-south old soul or two with that gracious, antebellum southern accent that seems to to be dying out, who pronounces the second 't' - these are the same people who say "DAH-lin.'"

say it however you want and be not apologetic for it - particularly if you're a native of the deep south. as a native, you set the tone. say it as you like.

Just to throw in some imput from a different area, I'm from New Orleans, and have almost always heard "At-lanna," with the "t" being pronounced only to add emphasis.

Just to throw in some imput from a different area, I'm from New Orleans, and have almost always heard "At-lanna," with the "t" being pronounced only to add emphasis.

By the way do you say New Or-leens, or New Or-leans??

I say "New Or-lens," though I have a noticeable New Orleans accent, so it sounds more like "New Awlens." The first sign that you're not from New Orleans, is pronouncing the name "New Or-leens." :lol:

Yes, N'Awlins is another city know for the many pronunciations of its name. ;)