Atlanta's name

I am a native Atlantan born at Emory Crawford Long Hostipal in Midtown on Peachtree. It seems this started during the Olympic games. Many native Atlantans say, ATLAN-A, but the press started with making sure that the T on the end was pronounced as ATLAN-TA. Could anyone tell which is the correct way to pronounce my city's name correctely????????

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am a native Atlantan born at Emory Crawford Long Hostipal in Midtown on Peachtree. It seems this started during the Olympic games. Many native Atlantans say, ATLAN-A, but the press started with making sure that the T on the end was pronounced as ATLAN-TA. Could anyone tell which is the correct way to pronounce my city's name correctely????????

Depending on how I feel at the moment it's either Atlanna or, when I feel like putting in a little more effort, Atlanta.

As far as I know, all the letters in the name are supposed to be pronounced...not that everyone does it, though.

BTW, I'm moving this to the Coffeehouse :)

Depending on how I feel at the moment it's either Atlanna or, when I feel like putting in a little more effort, Atlantta.

As far as I know, all the letters in the name are supposed to be pronounced...not that everyone does it, though.

BTW, I'm moving this to the Coffeehouse :)

the pronunciation of the second 't' is not the exclusive hallmark of sophistication or good diction. i have known a deep-south old soul or two with that gracious, antebellum southern accent that seems to to be dying out, who pronounces the second 't' - these are the same people who say "DAH-lin.'"

say it however you want and be not apologetic for it - particularly if you're a native of the deep south. as a native, you set the tone. say it as you like.

the pronunciation of the second 't' is not the exclusive hallmark of sophistication or good diction. i have known a deep-south old soul or two with that gracious, antebellum southern accent that seems to to be dying out, who pronounces the second 't' - these are the same people who say "DAH-lin.'"

say it however you want and be not apologetic for it - particularly if you're a native of the deep south. as a native, you set the tone. say it as you like.

Archived