Atlanta's name

You're certainly right about that, IC! Though keep in mind that the second sign that you're not from New Orleans is actually calling the city "N'Awlins." It seems like everyone nationally thinks natives actually call it "N'Awlins," which is the furthest thing from the reality. Most locals hate that nickname.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're certainly right about that, IC! Though keep in mind that the second sign that you're not from New Orleans is actually calling the city "N'Awlins." It seems like everyone nationally thinks natives actually call it "N'Awlins," which is the furthest thing from the reality. Most locals hate that nickname.

And in case you're curious, the third sign that you're not from New Orleans, is calling the streetcar a "trolley." That's a big no-no! :lol:

Sorry about this....back to Atlanta!

Oh far out, Speaking of New York, well New York State anyway, I've heard they pronounce their capital as Awe-gusta, and not Uh-gusta like we say it, but then I lived in Augusta Ga a short while and the natives call it Uhhhhh-guuuuuus-ta.

Similar city pronunciations, in South Carolina most tourists like the idea that Charleston is pronounced - "Chawlston", which admittedly many do pronounce it that way. But in most cases it is simply the way it is spelled. Whereas in Rock Hill, it is often pronounced "Rock Heel" rather than succinctly saying "Hill".

And people in New York do pronounce Albany "All-beeny" rather than Georgia's "Al-bainy"

^ Haha. I said that other day and my girlfriend almost died laughing.

People in Savannah are weird anyway in their accents. Everything sounds like really dignified, yet it's really drawn out. People sound like that in Augusta too (man do we drawl our words out). I wonder how much the Irish have contributed to the Savannah (and to a lesser extent, Augusta) accents?

Archived