CONSTRUCTION THREAD: New Palmetto Bank Headquarters

RestedTraveler

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW! This is going to have such a big impact.

Yes, it is. Unfortunately, though, it also blocks what had been a great view of the Christ Church steeple heading out of downtown on East North. That intersection is definitiely going to have a more urban feel. Can you just imagine what it will be like when the Gateway tower goes up?

Yes, it is. Unfortunately, though, it also blocks what had been a great view of the Christ Church steeple heading out of downtown on East North. That intersection is definitiely going to have a more urban feel. Can you just imagine what it will be like when the Gateway tower goes up?

Dont you mean if it gets built?

Thats exactly what everybody said in 2004 about 2008! :whistling:

And seems everyone was pretty accurate.....downtown in 2008 has Riverplace, McBee Station, West End Field, The Peacock on the rise, The Courtyard and offices about to break ground, scores of new restaurants, a completed Falls Park, Kroc Center money raised and ground about to be broken, Rheet Street Condos going up, The Bookends, etc, etc. Most of these things were just a dream, or barely on the map in 2004.

Not to mention the huge increase in pedestrian numbers over an already vibrant 2004. :D

And seems everyone was pretty accurate.....downtown in 2008 has Riverplace, McBee Station, West End Field, The Peacock on the rise, The Courtyard and offices about to break ground, scores of new restaurants, a completed Falls Park, Kroc Center money raised and ground about to be broken, Rheet Street Condos going up, The Bookends, etc, etc. Most of these things were just a dream, or barely on the map in 2004.

Not to mention the huge increase in pedestrian numbers over an already vibrant 2004. :D

You are right, Gsupstate. In addition, we have Rhett Street Brownstones going up (unless those are what you're talking about), Pendleton West construction, Brick Street Lofts, and 133 South Main undergoing redesign to begin construction...

The most interesting thing you brought up is the pedestrian numbers and I agree that it's increased. I know there are ways to count cars, but is there an effective way to count pedestrians? Because I'd love to get those type of numbers on downtown for each block. If done annually, I'd love to see the changes from year to year...

Wow, this is huge difference in terms of presence. It looks like it will really bring more density to that block.

Indeed it will. And it looks a MILLION times better than their old building on that site (even just as steel beams, haha).

Are they planning on tearing down the building that they are temporarily occupying?? Will it just become their parking? :sick:

Indeed it will. And it looks a MILLION times better than their old building on that site (even just as steel beams, haha).

Are they planning on tearing down the building that they are temporarily occupying?? Will it just become their parking? :sick:

I believe it will be parking, but at least they had the foresight to build the new building up to the sidewalks of North and Church Streets. Although the small parking lot will sit behind it, the streetscape will be preserved.

Plus, the new federal courthouse will occupy surface parking on the western side of the Palmetto Bank HQ, which will certainly make a big difference. :thumbsup:

Yes, yes. Guess I should have specified my comment. GVilleSc's comment about 2013 was right after a comment about the courthouse (which is supposed to be a highrise) changing the way Gville will look. So, my comment was about highrise construction specifically (changing the look). And I am pretty sure I remember some comments from the highrise announcement boom in 2004 about how awesome gville would look in a few years because of it. :thumbsup:

I personally wouldn't say, "it is no small building." four stories on a rather small footprint is not very large, even in downtown Greenville. It is nice urban infill, but definitely not visually impacting from any distance. I think it will be a nice addition, with the hope of future growth as the city continues to grow up. The good thing to keep in mind regarding smaller downtown developments is that property will continue to become more valuable as it is less available and demand rises. The need to vertically maximize developments will skyrocket in the near future. There are still a few large pieces to go first. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We have been imagining the Gateway Tower for about 10 years now. They need to just pony up and build it. Parking is definately not an issue when they have an empty garage across the street with a pedestrian bridge over the busy street next to it. Why is that such a problem for them? Put one over Church Street if they don't want to have to wait for the walk light. Problem solved lets bring in the equipment and build this thing.

Looking at the photo and the rendering, that structure is on top of the 4th story which would be on top of the roof of the building. It's not shown on the rendering. Got to be a meachanical penthouse or something like that which will be screened.

Exactly, it isn't in the rendering. I thought it must be some kind of housing as well.

Looking at the photo and the rendering, that structure is on top of the 4th story which would be on top of the roof of the building. It's not shown on the rendering. Got to be a meachanical penthouse or something like that which will be screened.

My mistake... for some reason, I missed seeing the smaller structure on top.

• 4 weeks later...

Something I just heard about...

If you look at the left side of that picture...see all the trees along Church St.? That is supposed to be a public area, kind of like a gift to the city of Greenville. It's not going to be huge, but it's going to be a nice bit of landscaped green space along Church St., a quaint little park for people to enjoy. A great addition to a fairly un-green block downtown.

Archived