Clark Howard: Mayor of Atlanta

Pillsbury

Clark Howard is considering running for mayor next term. The ever-popular Shirley Franklin, maybe the most popular mayor of recent history, is unable to run due to the two-term limit. Is there anyone in the Franklin camp strong enough to win the city? What say you people? How do you think the much beloved Clark Howard would do running the city of Altanta? Could he even win? Best I understand it, he's somewhat of a libertarian. Would Atlanta be ready for that? Here is the article: Clark Howard

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Clark Howard is considering running for mayor next term. The ever-popular Shirley Franklin, maybe the most popular mayor of recent history, is unable to run due to the two-term limit. Is there anyone in the Franklin camp strong enough to win the city? What say you people? How do you think the much beloved Clark Howard would do running the city of Altanta? Could he even win? Best I understand it, he's somewhat of a libertarian. Would Atlanta be ready for that? Here is the article: Clark Howard

That is VERY interesting. I would be 1000% in favor of him because he's not a career politician and he would certainly seek to get the city's fiscal house in order and I think its what the city needs most right. Shirley Franklin has done a great job but I think she's been politically unable to trim some of the fat from the city's payroll and make changes that still need to be made.

I also think would make a great mayor because Lisa Borders has a corporate background and is also not a career politician

That is VERY interesting. I would be 1000% in favor of him because he's not a career politician and he would certainly seek to get the city's fiscal house in order and I think its what the city needs most right. Shirley Franklin has done a great job but I think she's been politically unable to trim some of the fat from the city's payroll and make changes that still need to be made.

The problem with populist mayors like Clark Howard, is that they would do TOO good of a job as mayor. Most citizens of Atlanta have a very close minded view of how they want the city to grow, many are in favor of limited growth & preserving the residential nature of the city. Clark Howard would likely aim to please the residents (especially Buckhead) in favoring quality of life over growth. Which in many cases might be a good thing, but considering Atlanta is so dramatically under-developed as a city & sprawl is so bad, Atlanta should dramatically develop. Which is why Lisa Borders would be a better candidate - though she may choose to ignore quality of life issues in favor of big business.

I'm of the opinion that the city must have quality of life improvements in order to sustain its growth.

A couple of other interesting names being mentioned as possible candidates are Earthlink and Greenstreet Properties(Glenwood Park) founder Charles Brewer and Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce President Sam Williams.

Archived