The next GR Mega-project

With everybody ohh-ing and awe-ing over big mega-projects like the new Marriott hotel, River House, and the gargantuan construction site that is Health Hill the GR Forums are currently lit up like Woodland Mall during the Christmas shopping blitz with construction updates and tons of photos. But one day the forest of tower cranes will come down and the dust of construction will settle as the last finishing touches are applied to these wonderful developments. So that begs the following question. What would you like to see for GR's next mega-project?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With everybody ohh-ing and awe-ing over big mega-projects like the new Marriott hotel, River House, and the gargantuan construction site that is Health Hill the GR Forums are currently lit up like Woodland Mall during the Christmas shopping blitz with construction updates and tons of photos. But one day the forest of tower cranes will come down and the dust of construction will settle as the last finishing touches are applied to these wonderful developments. So that begs the following question. What would you like to see for GR's next mega-project?

I agree. I think it's high-time that something like this happen at Market & Fulton. I've also been thinking that the parking lot and park by Kinko's and Urban Mill (Plaza Towers) really could be put to use as an expanded mixed-use project with a riverfront walkway (like the Promenade in Rockford). Keep parking on the ground floor toward the interior of the project.

Also, I believe that some major retail devolpment will bring further retail and entertainment investment to the rest of downtown. Look at what Rivertown did for that area of Grandville (not to say that a development would be on that scale...just saying). Furthermore, it has always bothered me that we have this great, beautiful river but don't use it to our advantage.

I too agree with some massive riverfront development. I large scale mixed use project done in stages that will help to create a place for more outdoor activities such as sidewalk cafes, festivals, and concert. I do like Rosa Parks Circle, but I think that on a hot summer day, the cool breeze running down the Grand would make things great!

Maybe something like Fountain Walk over by Brighton/Canton/Plymouth area would work well, but we would focus ours on the river!

An aquarium featuring fish and marine creatures from the waters of the Great Lakes! I got a chance to visit the one in Atlanta and it was great. If anyone ever gets the opportunity, I definitely recommend a visit. Also, it's something that is fun for kids and adults!

I think an aquarium would be an amazing project right on the river!

What I would love to see is all of the 'industrial' areas north of Riverhouse redeveloped to actually utilize the river frontage! I drive past this area everyday on my way home and it is a TERRIBLY under utilized chunk of quality river frontage!

Awesome Pic!! The attention to the river would have been a spectacular site while the European feel of the rest of DT would have made GR a real jaw dropper.

I got a hold of some images of the 1922 Master Plan and this one got me so excited once I saw it. As I see it, it looks like a great deal of the waterfront is actually opened, tree lined, and really geometric. I don't know if this one image makes me most excited because I don't like the current state of both waterfronts.

I have the small image posted, but click to see the largest image:

493779231_7a028a430c_m.jpg

No kidding... the philosophy was to create open access to the river and I think its going the opposite. I don't want to see a river that is closed up by development. I don't like the fronting of buildings up to the river. With all respect on the Museum, Gerald Ford, Amway, US131, etc.... On that, what about boulevard US 131 through downtown and the Westside?

If anyone is interested they should go and check out all the master plans. All GR's plans are scattered over the US and Europe, but some master plans are found at the downtown library.

How did some of GR's master plans get to Europe?

No kidding... the philosophy was to create open access to the river and I think its going the opposite. I don't want to see a river that is closed up by development. I don't like the fronting of buildings up to the river. With all respect on the Museum, Gerald Ford, Amway, US131, etc.... On that, what about boulevard US 131 through downtown and the Westside?

If anyone is interested they should go and check out all the master plans. All GR's plans are scattered over the US and Europe, but some master plans are found at the downtown library.

It looks like they wanted to build a space needle or something. Anybody know what this was (upper part of the image). I heard that at one time they were really pushing for a Greek feel for Grand Rapids. They felt it would class it up for all the traveler's visiting the Furniture Exhibition halls.

Joe

Awesome Pic!! The attention to the river would have been a spectacular site while the European feel of the rest of DT would have made GR a real jaw dropper.

That location looks to be where the veterans park is at today. That leads me to believe that space was always set aside for monuments since the old master plan was drafted.

It looks like they wanted to build a space needle or something. Anybody know what this was (upper part of the image). I heard that at one time they were really pushing for a Greek feel for Grand Rapids. They felt it would class it up for all the traveler's visiting the Furniture Exhibition halls.

Joe

Joe

Archived