Where do You want to see a new Bridge?

mr.rwilson

Where do you want to see a new span built across the Detroit River to Canada and why? The options have been narrowed down to building a twin span next to the ambassador bridge, which will be a 6 lane cable stay or a location about a mile downriver, with the design unknown. If the bridge is built next to the current one it will be privately owned and if it is downriver it will more then likely be publicly owned.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it has to be next to the current one. If you build another bridge a mile down river, the infrastructure that would be created would make the city area even worse in regards to criss-crossing highways and segmented sections of the city

I think it has to be next to the current one. If you build another bridge a mile down river, the infrastructure that would be created would make the city area even worse in regards to criss-crossing highways and segmented sections of the city

The choice is between destroying a functioning Canadian neighborhood, or destroying part of Delray.

Also between public ownership, or Matt Moroun.

There's expenses. Downriver will cost more, to connect the highways, and for a longer bridge. And it's being paid for by the public.

So that is my understanding of it. I prefer downriver.

There is no way in hell I would support a twin of the Ambassador....especially if it is run by a private company, ie Matty Moroun. I'm behind Windsor 100%. It's residents, unlike on the Detroit side are fighting for their historic neighborhood, which has been bought up by Moroun's bridge company. A lot of left over businesses are suffering and property values are at risk because of the ever increasing chance that the bridge could actually be built. On the American side, there is a fight, but it seems to be at the mercy of the "American way" which favors capitalism. I've heard this company loud and clear and they don't give two shi*s about anything but a profit, and I won't stand for it. Their picture is crystal clear and that picture is "I and ME". The irony here is that such a thing is infinately beyond that kind of nearsightedness, that a twin, private span is a loose-loose deal.

The second reason is for security. I initially thought that sharing customs was the way to go, and it still may have some advantages, but ultimately, I think there needs to be a whole separate facility and infrastructure. Move it downriver where there is more land on the Detroit side and better opportunity for highway connection in Windsor.

The 3rd reason is because there already is a private crossing and it is turning out to be a hellish ordeal because of it. Canada and the United States governments need to share a border crossing so that neither of them fall victim to a private snake whose eyes are only on himself. They claim they've kept the interest of people in mind but that couldn't be further from the truth. Why? Because the interest of the people is "no twin span", and they are proceeding as if their bridge is going to be built tomorrow. That's not how it works, sorry.

Archived