New Orleans Trivia

UptownNewOrleans

1.Hundreds of thousands of revelers crowd Bourbon St. for this annual event.

2.What are the Uptown & Downtown wards of New Orleans?

3.Juvenile's record label UTP stands for UpTown Project Records. Name the 3 Uptown projects.

4.What food (s) is New Orleans best known for?

5.What is the meaning of "Chopper City" in reference to New Orleans?

6.State the most famous street in 13th Ward.

7.True Or False: The Louisiana Superdome & NO Arena are adjacent to each other.

8.State the name of this underground DVD that drew heat from police & city officials because it was too "raw"

9.The _______ Quarter escaped Katrina's fury.

10.This bridge, referred to as Triple C (no, not Rick Ross' Miami-based rap group Carol City Cartel :lol: ) separates Uptown from Downtown/New Orleans CBD.

Answers given after sufficient responses. :thumbsup:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll go for all 10... :thumbsup:

1. Mardi Gras

2. Uptown Wards:

• 1st Ward

• 2nd Ward

• 3rd Ward

• 10th Ward

• 11th Ward

• 12th Ward

• 13th Ward

• 14th Ward

• 16th Ward

• 17th Ward

• 4th Ward

• 5th Ward

• 6th Ward

• 7th Ward

• 8th Ward

• 9th Ward

Westbank Ward:

• 15th Ward

3. Three Uptown projects:

[*]Magnolia

[*]Calliope

[*]Melpomene

4. Generic: New Orleans is known for its Creole cooking and its seafood, the greatest in the world. People not familiar with the city label it as "Cajun," though that is not the case. Famous dishes from New Orleans include Gumbo, Jambalaya, Red Beans and Rice, Beignets, Etouffee, Bisque, Po'boy's, and the Muffuletta. Upscale dishes and deserts that were created in New Orleans include: Oysters Rockefeller, Oysters en Brochette, Bananas Foster, and while not exactly "upscale," Hubig's Pies! :D

5. "Chopper City" is an "urban" nickname for New Orleans. "Chopper" is a slang term for an AK-47(especially a fully automatic AK), the most popular weapon on the streets of New Orleans. Hence, "Chopper City."

6. If you're talking about a street confined to the 13th Ward, I would have to say MLK Jr. Blvd. Though I could be wrong on that one.

7. True; the Superdome and the Arena are adjacent to one another, and are connected by a large plaza.

8. That DVD would be New Orleans Exposed. I've seen it quite a few times.

9. The French Quarter escaped Katrina's fury.

10. The Crescent City Connection, formerly the Greater New Orleans Bridge, seperates Uptown New Orleans from the CBD, and connects the eastbank with the westbank.

I'll go for all 10... :thumbsup:

1. Mardi Gras

2. Uptown Wards:

• 1st Ward

• 2nd Ward

• 3rd Ward

• 10th Ward

• 11th Ward

• 12th Ward

• 13th Ward

• 14th Ward

• 16th Ward

• 17th Ward

• 4th Ward

• 5th Ward

• 6th Ward

• 7th Ward

• 8th Ward

• 9th Ward

Westbank Ward:

• 15th Ward

3. Three Uptown projects:

[*]Magnolia

[*]Calliope

[*]Melpomene

4. Generic: New Orleans is known for its Creole cooking and its seafood, the greatest in the world. People not familiar with the city label it as "Cajun," though that is not the case. Famous dishes from New Orleans include Gumbo, Jambalaya, Red Beans and Rice, Beignets, Etouffee, Bisque, Po'boy's, and the Muffuletta. Upscale dishes and deserts that were created in New Orleans include: Oysters Rockefeller, Oysters en Brochette, Bananas Foster, and while not exactly "upscale," Hubig's Pies! :D

5. "Chopper City" is an "urban" nickname for New Orleans. "Chopper" is a slang term for an AK-47(especially a fully automatic AK), the most popular weapon on the streets of New Orleans. Hence, "Chopper City."

6. If you're talking about a street confined to the 13th Ward, I would have to say MLK Jr. Blvd. Though I could be wrong on that one.

7. True; the Superdome and the Arena are adjacent to one another, and are connected by a large plaza.

8. That DVD would be New Orleans Exposed. I've seen it quite a few times.

9. The French Quarter escaped Katrina's fury.

10. The Crescent City Connection, formerly the Greater New Orleans Bridge, seperates Uptown New Orleans from the CBD, and connects the eastbank with the westbank.

9/10 :thumbsup: The most famous street in the 13th Ward is Valence St, commonly referred to as VL, which runs north-south. The northern terminus is the 2700-2799 block, the southern terminus is the 500-599 block.

9/10 :thumbsup: The most famous street in the 13th Ward is Valence St, commonly referred to as VL, which runs north-south. The northern terminus is the 2700-2799 block, the southern terminus is the 500-599 block.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... I have a little trivia question for yall. If you know this one, I'll be impressed.

New Orleans, for a short time, had a landmark very similar to Paris' Arc de Triomphe. Where was it, and why was it built? Why was it deconstructed?

For those of you that aren't familiar with the Paris landmark, here's the Arc... The N.O. version was actually similar in size and appearance.

frparis3.jpg

Ok... I have a little trivia question for yall. If you know this one, I'll be impressed.

New Orleans, for a short time, had a landmark very similar to Paris' Arc de Triomphe. Where was it, and why was it built? Why was it deconstructed?

For those of you that aren't familiar with the Paris landmark, here's the Arc... The N.O. version was actually similar in size and appearance.

frparis3.jpg

Well, I've been trying to research it more so the answer can be as detailed as possible. The history professor I emailed for a detailed answer hasn't emailed me back. He's the one who told me... and it was coincidentally a Drago's N.O. trivia question on AM690 with Kaare Johnson. But anyway, this practice of building monuments and then deconstructing them was a common practice in the 1700's and early 1800's. It is kind of a trick question, because it was only there for a couple years at most. It was constructed for a visiting King during the 1700's. I need to find out which king it was. It was completed before his visit, and deconstructed after. It's too bad they didn't leave it, but since it was a common practice, the materials used wouldn't have lasted this long anyway. They made heavy use of plaster and such, so it would have long since desintegrated. I'm personally not aware of any paintings depicting it, but I'm sure they exist somewhere. I might call the Historic New Orleans Collection to find out all the details from A-Z. The full answer is in progress... bear with me.

Jackson Square divides the lower Quarter which is quieter and more residential, from the upper Quarter which is more commercial and tourist-oriented. Speaking even more roughly, the Quarter itself divides Downtown from Uptown New Orleans.

Downtown New Orleans is older, funkier, more Catholic and more ethnic. In the old days, it was also more Creole. The Creoles

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is a residential building of sorts...

Another hint:

New Orleans has alot of them, and this building is home to one of the oldest and one of the best. It's also the largest of its kind in the Quarter.

Archived