SKYE Condominiums and Hyatt Place Hotel

monsoon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what is wrong with the conditions in Charlotte that has entrepreneurs not leveraging these street spaces.   But in the long run, it is great to use the space like this for now and then it is there waiting for other uses when the market matures over the lifetime of the buildings.    

The real shame is when no retail space is built and over 50 years will never have it, whereas this retail spot, just like the Vue's and Element's will eventually change from office space to retail. 

I wonder what is wrong with the conditions in Charlotte that has entrepreneurs not leveraging these street spaces.   But in the long run, it is great to use the space like this for now and then it is there waiting for other uses when the market matures over the lifetime of the buildings.    

The real shame is when no retail space is built and over 50 years will never have it, whereas this retail spot, just like the Vue's and Element's will eventually change from office space to retail. 

Is there not anything the city can do to help maybe subsidize these spaces for small businesses to come in?  I would have no problem with my tax dollars going towards helping generate small business (non-restaurant/bar) growth in uptown.

Me too.   Frankly, with F500 corporations playing so many games and getting their tax rates to 0 or negative, and bouncing around states for subsidies, it would be nice if small local community businesses got similar benefits.

I bet it will be discussed in the upcoming city review of our low economic mobility scores.   We were listed as one of the worst places for upward mobility (aka the American Dream), which is not a good thing for a city.    A big part of that is our lack of small local businesses.  

Is there not anything the city can do to help maybe subsidize these spaces for small businesses to come in?  I would have no problem with my tax dollars going towards helping generate small business (non-restaurant/bar) growth in uptown.

IMO it would be well within CCCP mission to lease a 'bunch' of clustered retail space uptown and then sublease it (initially with a heavy subsidy) to 'desired' small-business retail tenants. The goal would be to create a sufficient critical mass of retailers in a small area so that foot traffic can be generated and the area begins to be seen as a shopping district. Once district status has been established then the lease subsidies can end and the district would be free to evolve organically.

Part of the problem with uptown retail space is that it is so scattered and piecemeal that a single store will really struggle to generate traffic, so no one wants to be the first to move in.

IMO it would be well within CCCP mission to lease a 'bunch' of clustered retail space uptown and then sublease it (initially with a heavy subsidy) to 'desired' small-business retail tenants. The goal would be to create a sufficient critical mass of retailers in a small area so that foot traffic can be generated and the area begins to be seen as a shopping district. Once district status has been established then the lease subsidies can end and the district would be free to evolve organically.

Part of the problem with uptown retail space is that it is so scattered and piecemeal that a single store will really struggle to generate traffic, so no one wants to be the first to move in.

This is a major issue and I agree. There is no definitive "line" of retail spaces or clusters that could be identified for this benefit right now.

Exactly. I think that as 2nd Ward starts to see more high-density residential development we will see the need for retail in that spot. Right now the ped traffic is very low compared to other parts of uptown.

From what I know, the 7th Street Market works a little like what everyone is discussing here re:

...lease a 'bunch' of clustered retail space uptown and then sublease it (initially with a heavy subsidy) to 'desired' small-business retail tenants.

It's a quasai-nonprofit I think? Or at least it has a board and is at least partly supported by the Center City Partners. More co-op space that is run by a public-private partnership with a board of directors would be a good way to bring in more retail.

I've heard the 7th Street Market is looking at expanding to include the former Dixie's Tavern building when the 1st Ward Park is complete, but that's getting a bit off topic - if we want to discuss that let's take it over to the 1st Ward Park thread.

• 2 years later...

Day late Throw back Thursday. 

I had forgotten Skye Condos was built on a repurposed parking deck that was already there. When it was still the unfinished "Park Condos" it was way more evident. Gotta love the Old Convention Center in this picture.

gcskyln1.jpg

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Day late Throw back Thursday. 

I had forgotten Skye Condos was built on a repurposed parking deck that was already there. When it was still the unfinished "Park Condos" it was way more evident. Gotta love the Old Convention Center in this picture.

gcskyln1.jpg

Sad that the parking lot next to transit center hasn't changed at all. I'd love some retail along brevard and around the Spectrum Center also. 

Archived