SKYE Condominiums and Hyatt Place Hotel

monsoon

I agree about the vantage point. Having tall building in all directions was really only true at Trade and Tryon before, but soon, most of Uptown will give that appearance, and make the urban experience seem much larger.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drove by the building today, with a camera but couldn't get in a good spot to take a shot (moving traffic). It seems that since those pictures were taking, the building has been topped out (with the steel structure) and there is actually an arc on the top now, where that additional few feet is for the work out center and additional overhead floor...

If it comes out the way it appears in the rendering (big "if"), it'll be a nice elegant addition to an area with pretty bad architecture (2nd Ward). The fact that it isn't some god-awful 70s-style box will be striking enough in the short term, and in the long term it'll probably just blend into the background against the rest of the skyline.

I still wish they'd done more to blend it with the old courthouse next door. The two have a funny elephant/mouse relationship, and not just from afar -- I drove past it this afternoon and it's just as disconcerting from up close.

So aaaaaaanyway, I'm glad to finally see some form coming out of The Park. It's really nice to see some more buildings that aren't just part of the regular flow of uptown. Having it both away from the Tryon "row" and having enough height to stand out gives uptown more depth. Now, in comparison to what The Vue and possibly the Citadin (pending the towers are built) will be, it is small potatoes; but it's a potato none-the-less.

All us Uptown afficionados have been so excited by all the new projects, that I feel we're sleeping through something really big here. The Park is gonna be a blockbuster!

Does this place drip luxury? A mini gym? state of the art community areas........Can ya'll imagine the views from up there?And the rendering of the exterior is quite sriking as well.

Those original investors who bought into the Park (with the intention of flipping) could very well end up being wealthy individuals. I can't imagine very many west facing units staying under $1 million very long in a building like this.

An EFIS facade is dripping with petro-foam, not luxury. No building with plastic materials is luxury.

It is an odd mix of attempted luxury, add back when Verna thought his was the only residential high rise in town, and cheapness, added when Verna was trying to get it off the ground after inflation made the building expensive to build.

There certainly are incredible features, such as massive balconies, which are recessed into the building, to avoid wind. On the two story units (I almost bought one in 2001), you could pretty much setup a the downstairs balcony as a living and dining room, and the upstairs balcony as an office, and use them 9 months of the year.

Lying by the pool, 20 stories in the air, would also be pretty amazing.

This project is only 1 1/2 blocks from 3rd Street LRT station, and 2 blocks away from Epicentre's retail and movie theater. I image that those two things will affect the lifestyles of these residents dramatically, as they can easily have a make an evening without their cars in SouthEnd or uptown without needing to walk very far. Just a few years ago, it seemed isolated over there. Furthermore, with Brooklyn Village going up, and possibly having decent density, The Park won't like it is the last building before no-mans-land in 2nd Ward.

I wouldn't want to commute anywhere by car when living there, as a winding turn down 10 stories of parking would be brutal on a daily basis. Hopefully that translates into a lot of residents being pedestrian commuters.

I wouldn't want to commute anywhere by car when living there, as a winding turn down 10 stories of parking would be brutal on a daily basis. Hopefully that translates into a lot of residents being pedestrian commuters.

That would really ruin tire edges. But I suppose someone that can afford a $500K condo, wouldn't worry about a $500 set of tires. (I used to have a 2 mile drive along a lakeshore road when I lived in a cabin in the mountains... the twistys really do wear out tire edges.)

Maybe it is the perspective... but I have been gazing up at the open walls of the units on the skyline side of the park and they look tiny. I know a hall runs down the middle and you can only go so deep but are they larger than they appear? Has anyone been in to see how it feels? I hope the killer view that being out of the "clump" allows, makes it feel more spacious.

Maybe it is the perspective... but I have been gazing up at the open walls of the units on the skyline side of the park and they look tiny. I know a hall runs down the middle and you can only go so deep but are they larger than they appear? Has anyone been in to see how it feels? I hope the killer view that being out of the "clump" allows, makes it feel more spacious.

I think those are the solid walls that separate the covered semi-enclosed balconies from the interior of the unit.

That would really ruin tire edges. But I suppose someone that can afford a $500K condo, wouldn't worry about a $500 set of tires. (I used to have a 2 mile drive along a lakeshore road when I lived in a cabin in the mountains... the twistys really do wear out tire edges.)

I don't understand this logic .. because you can afford an expensive condo doesn't mean you enjoy throwing money away.

It looks great from the front, and you can see it from the intersection of randolph and wendover poking out above the trees. However I do not like the look of it from the profile view, the large arch on only one side bothers me a good bit.

So has anyone seen a rendering of the back of the buildng? I am getting uneasy about the flatness. Are we going to be 1-4 on well designed backs, with only avenue looking good so far.

I would expect much out of the back of The Park. The reason why the back is so flat is because the building structure comes right up to the property line, this is one reason why the balconies are recessed in the Uptown view units. Also, Verna has plans to build a parking deck up against the park along Brevard Street with a green roof. Last I heard this will be 10 floors, which is the same # of floors of parking at The Park. Right now it might not look so hot but once they do the next project it will look better.

Archived