SKYE Condominiums and Hyatt Place Hotel

monsoon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

purely speculating here but whhat if subcontractors weren't getting paid promptly and just walked off...?

I bet they are paying them. But this situation does beg the question... Any mechanic's liens on the property yet??? They have 120 days to file for a mechanic's lien if they have done work and not been paid if I am correct.

I remember when I first started flying for US Airways back in 2000, going to a sales center somwhere uptown for this tower. I think it may have been on the site actually. I cant believe that was 8 years ago and this project still isnt complete. Could 210 and The Vue run into the same fate as The Park? How depressing it would be to see either of those 50+ towers half finished like this one has been. What a mess. I cant believe the buyers have hung around for this thing.

I remember when I first started flying for US Airways back in 2000, going to a sales center somwhere uptown for this tower. I think it may have been on the site actually. I cant believe that was 8 years ago and this project still isnt complete. Could 210 and The Vue run into the same fate as The Park? How depressing it would be to see either of those 50+ towers half finished like this one has been. What a mess. I cant believe the buyers have hung around for this thing.

When I was living in Charlotte, I also went to the sales office back in 2000. It was on the top floor of the parking deck where The Park is being built. I seriously considered reserving a unit at that time. I thought this was going to be so cool. I can't believe this thing is still not finished.

Is it common to stop exterior work for a period of time though? Granted there could be just unique cases such as a minor scheduling conflict for a contractor. I hope this is the positive case i'm really just wanting to be done with the whole Park thing.

I don't know about this project in particular, but once up and topped out there can be quite a bit of work going on inside that wouldn't show up in photos like this. Again, not saying I know this, but framing out interiors, plumbing work, electric roughs, etc, all would never be seen in these photos.

Ordinarily I would agree, but the windows aren't installed yet. Unless they're cutting some corners, they should really have an environmentally controlled building (ie, no rain) before most of the rough in work.

Is it common to stop exterior work for a period of time though? Granted there could be just unique cases such as a minor scheduling conflict for a contractor. I hope this is the positive case i'm really just wanting to be done with the whole Park thing.

I don't know, but I don't think so. It is common if funding is slow or other reasons pop up. Anyone recall the halt of all work on the Pink Building for months and months? The GC went out of business...

I spoke with one of the sales reps last week about the speed of construction. She was very defensive and short with me. Guess they have been asked the questions too often. She told me that the windows were installed (most aren't) and that they have one shift working and are trying to hire help for a second shift. They can't find anyone to work. I hope it's just a labor pool issue -- slow is better than halted.

...and are trying to hire help for a second shift. They can't find anyone to work. I hope it's just a labor pool issue -- slow is better than halted.

I hate to sound overly negative, but that is absurd. I think anyone with half a mind and an inkling of the current economy here and elsewhere would know that there are no labor pool issues. I mean really.

I hate to sound overly negative, but that is absurd. I think anyone with half a mind and an inkling of the current economy here and elsewhere would know that there are no labor pool issues. I mean really.

I'll second that. I know more than 15 guys who have been squeezed out by a tight and overcrowded construction market that would march down there tonight to have a job in construction. There is no labor shortage of construction laborers in the greater Charlotte area. They are either lying or the most mismanaged contractor in Charlotte if this isn't a money issue. Its mind boggling how much money has been simply burned in carrying costs on this and several other projects.

It's been slow from the get-go here. They blocked off the left lane of Caldwell for months before any steel even went up.

I remember people asking impatient questions during Courtside's construction too... but that was after the windows go on, and they spend several months finishing the interior out-of-sight. It just seems strange, to see the paneling and window installation barely moving along like this.

I just clicked on the "1" page pf this thread. April of 2004. Wow. :o Anyone still waiting on a unit based on an original deposit, has the patience of a monk.

I just clicked on the "1" page pf this thread. April of 2004. Wow. :o Anyone still waiting on a unit based on an original deposit, has the patience of a monk.

Indeed. I think they started taking deposits for this project around 2001.

I would think that at least this project has a public parking garage so there is a revenue generator there that could keep things moving. However when I was in Myrtle Beach last, we noted several projects that had reached the state of the Park where work had simply stopped presumably because there was no more money. It will be interesting to see if has actually happened to this project. If so, then someone is out a huge amount of money.

Eventually someone will finish the Park if it has gone on bad times, but it could sit there quite a while half finished if the experiences in Myrtle Beach are any indication. There was a 22 story hotel that stopped construction there once for several years. When the new owners took it over, they finished the building but didn't install 2 of the 4 elevators requested in the original design. Imagine a building that large with just 2 elevators, one of which is tied up all day long by the maid overriding it with the service key. lol

Eventually someone will finish the Park if it has gone on bad times, but it could sit there quite a while half finished if the experiences in Myrtle Beach are any indication. There was a 22 story hotel that stopped construction there once for several years. When the new owners took it over, they finished the building but didn't install 2 of the 4 elevators requested in the original design. Imagine a building that large with just 2 elevators, one of which is tied up all day long by the maid overriding it with the service key. lol

Can you say 'Pink Building'? Same happened here with that and they still haven't sold all the units. Stopping, starting, stopping, starting, loses your buyers and everyone else's confidence in a project. With The Pink Building I was told the GC went belly up and an outside investor had to sweep in to save the project though it sat still for months if not a year while topped out by barely 1/2 complete. They also scaled down the quality and other aspects of the project to 'save' the money they felt they lost with the complications.

It isn't stopped. If you stand at 3rd and Brevard, you can watch The Park, the NHOF, and 210/Epicentre. There is activity at The Park - the lifts change floors, and you'll see a few helmets moving in there. But it doesn't seem to be the same intensity as the other sites.

I was told that interior work on the Park is progressing, running electrical, etc. - Aparently, there is no exterior work going on due to the utility work being done along Caldwell St. related to the NHOF. Once this work is completed, we'll see more progress on the exterior of the Park.

Heard this from a site inspector with the City. TIFWIW.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived