Easton MarketCenter

Spartan

The City has approved the annexation of 187 acres on E Main St- the Lan-Yair Country Club site. This is undoubtedly the largest sincle annexation in Spartanburg in several years. We're one step closer to seeing this become a reality. The article says it will be about a $100 million investment, which is the largest investment in the city limits since 2005 (that I am aware of).

There is some conflicting information about the number of housing units. It says that there will be 340 residential units, and not 420. My guess is that this article is incorrect.

It also says that they will annouce the deveoper soon.... stores to open in 2009.

Article

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the news in Spartanburg today is great. Easton Marketplace, Burlington Coat and the variance for bike parking for developers is great. The one thing I read between the lines that is also positive is that the planning commission approved the bike parking based on feedback from the new Master Plan. I think this shows that they are looking at each component of the plan and making sure it is adopted in a positive way. I hope they can do the same with the height restriction and give developers a break that helps them to do green buildings but don't make it harder to develop if they don't and want taller buildings.

• 2 months later...

I'm glad to see this is still moving forward. I'd really like to see a copy of the plan they submitted. I wish that the City had that information online like other places do (Greenville, Charlotte). Digital is the way to go these days.

I think this is the first time I've seen that Cousins Properties out of Atlanta is involved with this project. That is great news because they are known for doing quality work.

• 2 months later...

It sounds like Target is indeed in the works. The Target spokeswoman said they "are very interested in Spartanburg, and [they are] analyzing potential opportunities for another store."

Easton MarketCenter, as it is now being called, has not submitted its final site plans. However, they want to get started in the next 4 months, so I would assume they will submit them soon. Still no word on other stores. Has anyone heard anything else on this?

Article

Well the other issue is that it would be a store in part of a much larger development. The land has to be cleared and graded first, so even at best we're looking at the July start date, so it would be well into 2009 if not the first pert of 2010 before we'd actually see it open.

Now as for how long it takes to build a Target, I have no idea. Maybe someone else out there knows.

• 4 months later...

We have an update from the HJ about Easton. Good news is that its still going to happen with a much needed movie theater on the Eastside. The bad news is that it will be scaled down some due to the national economy being what it is, and it will be similar in form to Greenridge in Greenville. We're down to about 500k sq ft of retail space, with 128k sq ft being the anchor tenant. For reference, a standard super walmart or targets are closer to 200k sq ft. So a regular-sized target in this location is still not out of the question.

Johnson is still going to build the apartments, and a developer for the SFR portion is being finalized.

Work will now start in the fall.

Article

I was a little depressed when I first read the paper on Sunday and saw this. However if it is smaller in sscale, maybe there will be more green space over there around the shops and condos. There are about 6-7 ponds over there that were left from when it was a golf course. Hopefully these will be incorporated into the plan. At least its moving forward as its not very pleasing to the eye when you pass by there.

• 2 weeks later...

City Council is holding a public hearing tonight to discuss the new plan. According to the preview article in the HJ, the "avenue" portion or the project will be cut out. From the sound of it this means that they will just leave the outparcels undeveloped, so this is perhaps not a major loss. However, this is shaping up to be a glorified strip mall with some housing behind it.

siteplan_EastonMarketplace_spartanb.jpg

Article

The article before the latest one mentioned that there would still be at least 1 major anchor (store of more than 200,000 sqft). Do we have any idea of who that might be? I had heard at one time that Target was a possibility, but that was a while back.

Hah, thats true. I think that in general I am becoming disillusioned with this whole project. It doesn't matter how "upscale" they claim that they will make it, because its function is only slightly better than what we've been building in Spartanburg.

I see in the paper this morning that they're strongly hinting that it's Target. Yay!!

I wonder which major bookstore and upscale grocer they're trying to get? I'm hoping the early rumors are wrong and that the bookstore is Barnes & Noble instead of Books-A-Million. Unlikely that it's Borders since they're in financial trouble. Re the grocer, we already have a Fresh Market over here. Wonder if they're moving to a larger store like the one in Greenville did?

Don't forget to post a link to the article! :)HJ Article

I'm glad the speculation is over. Now we know a basic list of the stores that we're getting in this scaled back version of Easton:

• Target

• Movie theater

• Major Bookstore

• Upscale Grocer

They did not say how many other spaces would be available for occupancy. I assume there will still be many smaller ones.

The developer of this project is Centennial American Properties (of Greenville) and they were able to lure Whole Foods to their project in Greenville. So I'm interested to see what "upscale" grocer goes in. Other than Whole Foods or possibly EarthFare, I can't imagine what it would be. Harris Teeter? Maybe its a longshot, but as long as we're on this train of thought, why not Trader Joe's?

As for the major bookstore, my guess is going to be Books-a-Million. I say that because while I respect the buying power of the east side, Spartanburg is not a major metro area where places like Borders tend to locate. B&N is not out of the question, and IMO would be preferable to Books-a-Million considering the whole "upscale" thing they are trying to push with this project.

Any thoughts on what the "upscale grocer" or "bookstore" might be?

I would like to think/hope that the bookseller is a Barnes and Noble. Since Centenial did the Shops at Greenridge, they went ahead and used a B&N even though there was already one in Greenville less than 5 miles away. This is not Greenville, but our prsent B&N is a good ways away and I think The Eastside can support one.

As for the grocer, I think Whole Foods is out although I do not think Earthfare is as they tend to be a little smaller. I do not see Harris Teeter as they have tried the east side before and could not make it 10 years ago.

The business press is speculating that Barnes & Noble will acquire Borders so I doubt we'll see a Borders. I'd love to see Whole Foods come to town but being realistic I don't see it happening in the near term. Earth Fare is probably a better bet since presumably know the market better.

I would like to think/hope that the bookseller is a Barnes and Noble. Since Centenial did the Shops at Greenridge, they went ahead and used a B&N even though there was already one in Greenville less than 5 miles away. This is not Greenville, but our prsent B&N is a good ways away and I think The Eastside can support one.

As for the grocer, I think Whole Foods is out although I do not think Earthfare is as they tend to be a little smaller. I do not see Harris Teeter as they have tried the east side before and could not make it 10 years ago.

• 1 month later...

This sounds like a bunch of crap. I'm sure it will do well though, since Spartanburg has nothing like this except the International Pavilion (or whatever its called these days). This project keeps getting worse every time the update it. Not only will it be a glorified strip mall, it won't even have a real anchor. Who is going to want to live next door to a large entertainment center like this?

Well, I'll be glad to see a nice stadium seating theatre on this side of town. The Converse one was OK, but it closed leaving just Carmike. The door on one of the ladies room stalls there has been broken for the last 10 years, so when I go see something there, I don't like to even think about what the rest of the building is like.

But I still want a Target, and I was so hoping we would get a good book store and, someday, maybe even a Kohl's.

Archived