Easton MarketCenter

Spartan

Well, I'll be glad to see a nice stadium seating theatre on this side of town. The Converse one was OK, but it closed leaving just Carmike. The door on one of the ladies room stalls there has been broken for the last 10 years, so when I go see something there, I don't like to even think about what the rest of the building is like.

But I still want a Target, and I was so hoping we would get a good book store and, someday, maybe even a Kohl's.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to update everyone. A reliable source told me the developer has signed an agreement with a large retailer....Target. So there is still hope for this development. Along with Johnson Development's apartments it may end up being a good thing.

Target has signed for a preliminary lease agreement to be part of this development. Construction will start on the project this fall. The big-boxes will have design standards. It will look similar to the Shops at Greenridge in Greenville when complete. This development will be anything but a complete bust. :)

I've lived most of my life dealing with inadequate Eastside shopping. I'm glad these stores are coming. I am speaking strictly from a design standpoint. Its going to be one more strip mall in an ever growing line of stripmalls.

Thats a good question. I think its one that many cities have likely contemplated. I'm not sure where you'd find the space for a modern department store within downtown though. Some company would have to dare to be different with a more compact design or only have one element of the larger store within downtown.

What about the vacant lot next to the Kress building where the State Theater used to stand? That lot has been empty for 25+ years. You could easily put a 3 story retail store there that would be the envy of many small towns. Heck, if it were a Belks, it would be right across from the old one. It would easily pull in the entire eastside for support as well as whoever lives downtown. Alas though, it will never happen. Its just another nice thing to dream about, but will never happen at least not here. I'll even bet that someone from Greenville will read our board and within 1-2 years you will hear about big retail returning to downtown Greenville.

I am personally hoping he does office space instead of condos. I am all for people living downtown, but we need to have places for them to work, and things for them to do. Having jobs located downtown will generate more things to do.

What about the vacant lot next to the Kress building where the State Theater used to stand? That lot has been empty for 25+ years. You could easily put a 3 story retail store there that would be the envy of many small towns. Heck, if it were a Belks, it would be right across from the old one. It would easily pull in the entire eastside for support as well as whoever lives downtown. Alas though, it will never happen. Its just another nice thing to dream about, but will never happen at least not here. I'll even bet that someone from Greenville will read our board and within 1-2 years you will hear about big retail returning to downtown Greenville.

^That's interesting because I had not heard about them looking to build a new building. To date Mast General has only located in old, historic buildings. I assumed that the Kress Building would be on their list of locations.

The Kress building or the Old Leader building on the Square would be great for a Mast General. I think this is the best hope for a large boost to retail in Downtown Spartanburg.

The vacant lot that Johnson Development has beside the Kress building was going to be Condo's, but since the Broad St. condo's are tanking I think it will be a long wait for residential there.

The Kress building or the Old Leader building on the Square would be great for a Mast General. I think this is the best hope for a large boost to retail in Downtown Spartanburg.

The vacant lot that Johnson Development has beside the Kress building was going to be Condo's, but since the Broad St. condo's are tanking I think it will be a long wait for residential there.

My understanding is that they have only sold about 4 units. I read that the development group had reserved 3 or 4 for themselves making the total spoken for 7-8, thats pretty bad. I spoke with one city official who said that prospective tenants had complained that the views were not very good. Most look out to a parking deck, the back side of buildings on Broad St., or to the library, Schyler building, post office area. The only good view is of the Denny's tower and park area. This is one reason I thought they really messed up with the height of the building. If the building were tall enough to see over these eyesoars you could create your views, seeing the mountains, Morgan Square area and other landmarks that would make the view much more interesting. The building is not particularly interesting either with the cheap looking stucco exterior. All of GDJ's buildings are great assets to downtown and thank God he's doing something because no one else is, but he really needs some help with the finer details of his developments. His office buildings are great looking, but their function could help downtown more if they were mixed use with ground floor space for retail or restaraunts. The only building he has done this in is the one in the worst location. The ESA building, Advance America, White Oak Manor building and the two office buildings on E. Main to a lesser degree could have added so much to downtown with ground floor storefronts. I am afraid unless he changes the look of the next buildings he will hopefully do, Downtown will start to look more and more like a suburban office park.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Its all good :) I was just trying to determine if you were stating an opinion or a fact. All comments are welcome :thumbsup:

Can you give us any insight into the new site plan? Do you think its better or worse than the old one (which I assume is the one we posted earlier in this thread)? Can you share it with us?

Archived