Hattiesburg Developments

nascarbud45

I'm new and just decided to keep others updated on the progress of Hattiesburg.

TONS of new developments underway or in the planning stages. I will do my best to bring the updates to everyone as soon as they are available. Feel free to add your own information because even I can't keep up with everything going on in the area now! Thanks in advance.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New Restaurants

Quick list of new restaurants in Hattiesburg:

T.G.I Fridays

Olive Garden

Longhorn Steakhouse

Logan's Roadhouse

Catch 22

Bop's (Oak Grove)

Bianchi's

I am sure there are many more but this is just a list I came up with off the top of my head. Feel free to e-mail or send me a private message of any others you know of. Just the completed ones for this one please. Thanks.

Legacy Town Square

This development is actually a neighborhood in Oak Grove. It's basis of design is Traditional Neighborhood Design (TND). That basically just means that it is going to be constructed like an old downtown with business infused in with the house, townhouses, apartments, etc. Looks very interesting and is said to have the first phase begun by Spring 2007. I pass it often while driving and the dirt is moving. I'll post details as they come.

The Ross Building (downtown)

The Ross Building is a five story historic structure in Downtown Hattiesburg. It was very recently redone completely on the exterior, and while the interior work was begun, it was never completed. The owner put it up for sale for 1.5 million and it has been on the market for about a year. Sometime last week a Sale Pending sign was put in the window and it has since been confirmed that the sale on the building is pending. This could be huge for Downtown Hattiesburg if the building is put to proper use. It is large enough to drastically increase the number of housing units downtown if it is used for apartments or lofts. The current owner hasn't released details yet but I will post them as they come available. Any one with information is appreciated. Thanks.

Turtle Creek Crossing

Any one who has been to Hattiesburg within about the last year has seen this massive shopping center. It is right next to Turtle Creek Mall and accross from Walmart on Highway 98. This huge strip center features David's Bridal, The Salad Bowl, Rue 21, Lifeway Christian Store, Bed Bath & Beyond, Old Navy, Ross Dress for Less, DressBarn, Books-a-Million, Target, Ashley Furniture, Shoe Station, Kirkland's, PetSmart, Lion's Choice, Radio Shack, Serta Mattress Center, Smoothie King, Chik-fil-a, Captain D's, Logan's Roadhouse, T.G.I Fridays, Cold Stone Creamery, and many other local and national stores, with many more on the way. There are two remaining outparcels that my guess will be used for reastaurants or something like that. This is Hattiesburg's premeire shopping destination. As always any one with information feel free to add it on to the thread or e-mail me and I'll edit it on. Thanks.

Any chance of Hattiesburg getting a major convention hotel in he near future? I'm surprised that there hasn't yet been much talk of one. I'd think that a large convention hotel would work in Hattiesburg- especially with the university.

Well you'd think there would be more talk of one in Hattiesburg wouldn't you? Not too long ago I did hear that the Convention Center would be selling the land out in front of it and the main reason for the sale was to try and attract a large hotel. The closest thing to a real hotel is the Holiday Inn Express accross the street that just completed a big expansion project including a restaurant on the ground floor. Also accross from the Convention Center is the Candlewood Inn & Suites, which is still under construction. I think there were somewhere between 100-120 rooms to be in it. It looks like a pretty nice hotel. There are so many hotels in the works here in Hattiesburg that it's hard to keep track sometimes.

Turtle Creek Village

Turtle Creek Village is located directly accross the street of Turtle Creek Crossing. It is a new development that is currently in the construction process. This shopping center is designed in a unique way made mostly of tan stucco and kind of designed like a small town. The only stores completed so far are Movie Gallery, A dentist office (not sure of the name), Oil Express and Quick Lube, Oodles Gift Shop, Get Lucky (clothing store), and 24/7 Fitness. Also planned for the development are Starbucks, an Italian restaurant, and many more. This development is still mostly under-construction. There was also once talk of a Mike Anderson's Seafood restaurant.

Hattiesburg Train Depot

The train depot is located in the heart of Downtown Hattiesburg. The City of Hattiesburg just completed a big renovation project on the depot and opened it under the name Hattiesburg Intermodal Transportation Center. It houses the cities taxi, bus, Amtrak train service, and hopefully the future home of a Greyhound Bus terminal. It was opened with a grand opening ceremony on the same day as the Hattiesburg Spring Art Walk. It looks amazing and anyone in the area should take a stop by there and check it out. I will post a picture when an updated one comes available.

I'm really glad to hear that the train station in Hattiesburg has been restored. I used to take the Amtrak Crexcent in and out of there many times. I always admired the building and wondered why it was in such poor repair. It's great to know that it has been restored. I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Yeah it really is amazing. I find it rather hard to believe that there haven't been any new pictures posted on the internet. I have looked everywhere that I can imagine there being a picture of it. I am sure that the website for Downtown Hattiesburg will post one very soon. If it takes too long I might have to make a trip down there myself.

Downtown Hattiesburg Website

State Main Street Association Awards

Hattiesburg recently won big at the state Main Street Association Awards. The Art Walk events won Best Special Event, Discover Downtown HHDA Downtown Directory won Best Image Promotion, The Bottling Company won Best Adaptive Re-Use Project, Forrest County Justice Court Center won Best Historic Preservation Re-Use Project Over 5,000 In Population, The A Gallery won Best Historic Rehabilitation Project- Privat Sector, Travis & Travis law office won Best Facade Rehabilitation Over $10,000, and Architect Larry Albert won Best Design Professional. Nineteen awards were given out by the association.

Well actually there is an interested buyer in the Ross building right now. A sale pending sign is in the window, and the owner, Rick Jorgenson, has confirmed there is an interesting buyer. I hope the sale does go through, that would be great for the downtown area!

Hattiesburg Hotel Projects

There are several hotel projects currently in the works in Hattiesburg. These include the following:

Microtel Inn & Suites (nearly finished)

Hilton Garden Inn (under construction)

Courtyard by Marriot(finished)

Holiday Inn Express (recently finished major remodel and expansion, now includes restaurant.)

Candlewood Inn & Suites (under construction)

Sleep Inn (under construction)

La Quinta (finished)

Quality Inn & Suites (finished)

Econo Lodge (just finished renovation and expansion)

There was talk of several other projects, but I can't seem to find any more information, so I will just post that information as it comes available.

The Village at Campbell

The Village at Campbell is a residential development being developed by Hatteisburg developer Larry Johnson. It features 14 old architecture style homes from 1300 to 1450 sq. ft. The development also features sidewalks, street lights, and a neighborhood park. I'll post a link to the site plat below.

The Village at Campbell plat

Yeah they really realized Hattiesburg's strong need for more hotels after Hurricane Katrina. I think its great because the more hotel rooms we get here, the more likely a major convention will book the convention center here. It really is a great convention center, and after the hurricane all the hotels were booked up so a lot of things there had to cancel. I think everything is getting back to normal hotel-wise so the convention center is getting back on track.

Archived