Hattiesburg Developments

nascarbud45

The USM Athletics Facilities Renovation

USM's football, baseball, and basketball complexes are all going in for a face life. The baseball stadium is getting a refurbished press box, and luxury "skyboxes". The work on the baseball complex is nearing completion. The football stadium is also getting luxury boxes. These are larger than the baseball stadium's and have more amenities. The have an outdoor balcony with a good number of seats as well as an idoor suite with kitchen and instant reply tv. The football stadium also gets a new state-of-the-art scoreboard and over 3,000 more standard style seating. All of the luxury suites are sold out for football and baseball. The basketball colliseum is getting new locker rooms and coaches offices. All the work on the projects is running on schedule, though I am not sure of a completion date. There was an article recently in the Hattiesburg American, I will try to find it and post that.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the updates!

Ask SEC Teams Mississippi State and Ole Miss WHY? they will not schedule USM in Football?? Because USM has a 16-5 All-Time Win/Loss record vs. "Both" of those schools!

The baseball team has been tough in regionals in recent years!!!

I have a Deaf friend that lives in Columbia MS who's a big-time USM fan!

Thanks for the updates!

Ask SEC Teams Mississippi State and Ole Miss WHY? they will not schedule USM in Football?? Because USM has a 16-5 All-Time Win/Loss record vs. "Both" of those schools!

The baseball team has been tough in regionals in recent years!!!

I have a Deaf friend that lives in Columbia MS who's a big-time USM fan!

^I actually double-checked...it was USM with a combined Win-loss record of 15-6 from 1977-1990. USM and Ole Miss haven't played each other since 84'. I think they should renew both of those series.

Sorry Nascarbud45, keep up the great work with the on-going developments of Hattiesburg! Did not mean to hijack this thread. This could have gone under a "Mississippi Sports Trivia" thread!

Haha absolutely no problem richyb83! I enjoyed the little bit of sports facts! I am big USM fan myself. I personally wish they'd play Ole Miss or State. I would be at either one of those games. Thanks for the compliment about this thread, too. I enjoy keeping you all up to date.

Oh and I think the Mississippi Sports Trivia thread is a great idea! :lol:

Haha absolutely no problem richyb83! I enjoyed the little bit of sports facts! I am big USM fan myself. I personally wish they'd play Ole Miss or State. I would be at either one of those games. Thanks for the compliment about this thread, too. I enjoy keeping you all up to date.

Oh and I think the Mississippi Sports Trivia thread is a great idea! :lol:

Hey guys, I haven't posted in ages but it seems the Mississippi forum is still alive and well. I did want to post to provide a few updates on projects that are slated for the near future in Hattiesburg. Gander Mountain has announced that they are renovating about 70,000-80,000 square feet of the old super K-mart building on 98. Latest news is that they have begun the renovation process. This should be an outstanding addition to the retail scene in town. I also know that a major development company is in the process of purchasing a 100+ acre tract on 98 that will be mixed use and will feature some major high-end retail stores that will also be new additions to the market.

There is also quite a bit going on or being planned across the river in Petal. In addition to Chilis, several new developments should be springing up soon around Walmart and Walmart is planning a major overhaul of the store that will significantly increase its square footage. There is also a major TND being planned in Petal with the first phase including over 100,000 square feet of mixed use commercial and about 100 residential lots. Their website is www.reflectionms.com.

Thanks for the update. I had heard about the Gander Mountain development but not the mixed-use development, do you have any more details about that?. I appreciate you participating in the thread. Feel free to post any information you have about the Hattiesburg area.

Thanks!

Fire Severely Damages Old Hattiesburg High School

In a cruel twist of fate, a fire has swept through most of the old Hattiesburg High School, destroying many parts of the building. It is possible that parts of the building may be salvaged, but this is particularly sad as the roof had just been replaced. I hope that too much of the building has not been lost, though I fear what the structural reports may be in the aftermath. A sad day for Hattiesburg. Thoughts anyone?

The Clarion Ledger

The Bakery-- A new downtown development

This project was just announced in today's Hattiesburg American. It looks to be a promising development. The article says that the development will be placed in the now 80 year old bakery on Buschman Street. For those unfamilar with the bakery, it is located near the train depot and Walnut Street. It is planned to have a big meeting space and several storefronts on the building. I am very excited about this, as it could mean alot to Downtown Hattiesburg. I will post a link to the article so you can read it's full content.

Article about The Bakery

I cannot believe this but the Hattiesburg High School downtown caught fire this morning. I will post more as I can.

Fire Severely Damages Old Hattiesburg High School

In a cruel twist of fate, a fire has swept through most of the old Hattiesburg High School, destroying many parts of the building. It is possible that parts of the building may be salvaged, but this is particularly sad as the roof had just been replaced. I hope that too much of the building has not been lost, though I fear what the structural reports may be in the aftermath. A sad day for Hattiesburg. Thoughts anyone?

The Clarion Ledger

As one of the comments noted in the article above, I hope the University will still use the building- or what's left of it at this point. I xuppose we will have to wait for structural studies of the building. I hope that parts of it can be saved.

Yeah tombarnes, I am also hoping that the university will still use the building, hopefully for what it was originally planned for. Maybe they will come out well with insurance and be able to continue the redevelopment for the art department. But, that's just my wishful thinking.

I agree. I can't believe that anyone would do such a thing. By the way, this was the third structure in the past three consecutive days that has burned in the North Main Street Historic District. Now the fire department says that arson is not expected in the apartment fire that occurred today, but that is some kind of coincidence.

Two New Restaurants Planned for Chauvet Square Development

The Hattiesburg American reported Tuesday that the Chauvet Square Development that already house The Grand 18, Courtyard by Marriot, University Edge Apartment Complex, and The Shoppes at Chauvet, will be receiving 2 new restaurants. These include the Alumni House Bar & Grill and La Fiesta Brava Mexican Restaurant, which will be housed in the Shoppes at Chauvet shopping center located at the site. Here is a link to the full article:

Two New Restaurants Planned for Chauvet

Yeah, Chauvet Square looks to be a very promissing development! At one point Hooters was looking to locate at Chauvet Square, but I am not sure how that is going. To my understanding, there are two strip shopping center type things at Chauvet, both under the title Shoppes at Chauvet. Also there is a remaining number of acerage on either side of the Courtyard Marriot that will be developed with multiple free standing restaurants and stores. Last thing I saw the whole site was said to be completed by December 2007, but I look for that to be pushed back.

Archived