Hattiesburg Developments

nascarbud45

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I just love Hattiesburg. My mother's side of the family is there and just the word alone brings to mind very sweet memories (my grandmother makes the BEST caramel Cake). She lives near downtown Hattiesburg, my mother is also there. Growing up I didn't know Hattiesburg had much beyond USM and a few gas stations. Of course my grandmother never took us anywhere. Now when I visit, I'm amazed at all of the new growth. I've seen the new shopping center and it is very nice. Its so good that my mom can actually buy me a gift somewhere other than Wal-Mart now! :D

Love the restaurant selection in Hattiesburg also! It's a very clean city, and it would not surprise me if this area soon catches up with Jackson in size.

Great picture of the Ross building!

Nice story TaureanJ ;) I like your Tallahassee skyline pic on the bottom too. We were impressed how much Hattiesburg exploded with development. And it's a clean city as you said.

Speaking of USM.......I thought this was pretty cool. This was in todays Business Report in my home city of Baton Rouge.

Architectural firm gets honor for USM project: Tipton Associates, a Baton Rouge architectural firm, has won an award from Food Management magazine for its work on the University of Southern Mississippi's Power House restaurant. The restaurant, which is in a building that once housed the campus boiler, was named Best New Facility.

Interesting, that award. We've got a new restaurant site under construction at Tallahassee's old city waterworks Building. It used to be a cite where we treated waste water, has been shut down over 50 years and now undergoing a major renovation as part of our downtown revitalization. Perhaps we could see a picture of it if you know where to find one.

Thanks for the kind words too Richy. I'll be back in Hattiesburg very soon to see my mother. Perhaps for the 4th of July. I think I might bring my camera. Any new development hot spots I should get to first. I'm definately hitting Hardy street

Downtown Hattiesburg has always reminded me of Downtown Thomasville in Southern GA (one of Tallahassee's burbs). There are many charming buildings, the restaurants and shops are still thriving.

I'll be sure to make it downtown next time I visit. My mother pointed out a new restaurant the last time I was there. She said they'd recently finished it.

Another Downtown Building Burns in Hattiesburg

Yet another fire in the downtown historic district in Hattiesburg last night! I'm not exactly sure how the authorities can quelch this outbreak of fires, but it woould appear that they are related. This needs immediate attention. If this continues unabated, the cumulative loss for the city could be staggering. What's being done to find the people responsible?

The Clarion Ledger

Suspect Charged

At least one person has been charged in the recent fires in Hattiesburg. The person of interest is said to have been involved in all of the recent fires with the notable exception of the old high school. Perhaps his capture will put a stop to this craziness.

The Sun Herald

• 3 weeks later...

Thank goodness they did make an arrest involving the fires! It definitely has finally calmed down a good bit.

Oh, and thank you, tom, for posting those articles and picking up my slack. I've had a busy summer! Maybe I can get back on track with my posting now! Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Woodmont Company Plans $200m Development in Hattiesburg

The Woodmont Company of Texas is planning a $200m development with over 600,000 square feet of retail space, office, medical and residential components and possibly a major arts pavilion of some sort. Overall, this should be encouraged. Some have questioned the idea of placing such a major development outside of the present downtown area. While I am in support of enhancing the downtown at all cost, I do not see this as being such a bad idea. Such a development would enhance the city and the area in general. The project is being designed by the Design Development group of Baltimore. The Woodmont Co. has executed such projects as Perkins Rowe in Baton Rouge and the Terrace at Las Colinas near Dallas. I don't think anyone could question their credentials, and it's a credit to the Hattiesburg area that such a project is under consideration.

The Hattiesburg American

I may be mistaken, but I think it's less than two miles from the downtown area proper. Normally, I'd be railing against a project of this scope outside of a traditional downtown area, but I think this one may actually extend Hattiesburg's downtown area. Will keep everyone posted.

I may be mistaken, but I think it's less than two miles from the downtown area proper. Normally, I'd be railing against a project of this scope outside of a traditional downtown area, but I think this one may actually extend Hattiesburg's downtown area. Will keep everyone posted.

• 2 weeks later...

If you notice Woodmont's development profile, you'll see that in the past they have done merely nothing but strip development. Now I think Hattiesburg should feel ecstatic that a company who has traditionally done strip development is thinking outside of their box with a town center development, especially seeing how it is located in a municipality with no code that require mixed-use development. I guess developers are starting to see the financial benefits of building walkable developments.

• 1 month later...

Downtown Gains Momentum

Three new renovation projects are sparking interest in downtown Hattiesburg. The former Mount Carmel Baptist Church, empty since Katrina, has been sold to the congregation of Trinity Baptist Church who plan to renovate an occupy the structure. Plans for a new restaurant are under way for the former Bottling Company. A pastry shop and several new restaurants are adding to the mix downtown which is an important reversal of westward flight. I think there is a solid future for downtown Hattiesburg.

The Hattiesburg American

Archived