Plan Baton Rouge

richyb83

Richy, is that drawing for an actual plan for the property bought by Trahan on N. Blvd? If so that would look GREAT in that area. Just goes to show you that not all our buildings need to be skycrapers. Nicely designed low rise buildings would have a significant impact on downtown. What I love about all the new buildings coming are that they are modern in their look. BR will certainly be a "modern" city as far as our buildings go. I would have loved to see what downtown would have looked like if the Shaw Plaza on Essen and the Jacobs tower on Essen had been built downtown.

:lol: No twstdndmntd, unfortunately that's something I was just throwing-out-there that might look nice on Trahan's new block on North Blvd. No plans have been released to my knowledge; maybe later in the Fall??

I have said the same thing for a long time...I wonder what downtown BR would look like with those newer buildings on Essen (Shaw, Jacobs), as well as our city's "Tallest Hotel" Marroitt at 22-stories somewhere near the RiverCenter instead. Then "Add" the incoming projects (RiverPlace, II City Plaza, New Courthouse, old Advocate site) and you have a legit skyline for downtown BR :camera:

Leave the 14-story Dean Tower and 12-story Woodale office blg. in Mid-city I guess??

Some people like the staus-quo bland boring buildings downtown. Many don't like the Shaw Center for the Arts contemporary look. But the more modern buildings will finally come.

I am glad to see OSBR plans for retvitalization. I have seen this before when refering to Government Street, the "term" BR's version of NOLA's Magazine Street. What would that take to make that happen??? I need to cruise down Magazine Street to refresh my memory.

I have said the same thing for a long time...I wonder what downtown BR would look like with those newer buildings on Essen (Shaw, Jacobs), as well as our city's "Tallest Hotel" Marroitt at 22-stories somewhere near the RiverCenter instead. Then "Add" the incoming projects (RiverPlace, II City Plaza, New Courthouse, old Advocate site) and you have a legit skyline for downtown BR

I've wondered the same thing. Has anyone tried photoshopping those buildings into downtown just for giggles?

Yeah Richy, I have come across a few people that don't like the Shaw Center because of it's contemporary look. I totally love it and think it brings a new look to "old" downtown. I think more buildings with a contemporary twist would look great down there. Kind of like all the state buildings I love how they all sorta look the same. You know which buildings are state goverenmental buildings. Dinner Roll, I would love to see what our skyline would look like had those buildings been downtown. Unfortunately I don't know the first thing in doing that photoshopping thing, so I am no help with that. With regards to Highland, it would take an aweful lot of work and commitment from developers and citizens alike to pull it off. Alot of properties need to be built on and cleaned out. But I think we persistance and dare I say patience it would and should happen. Course that are is also not known for being exactly the safest in the city so that is an issue that would have be addressed as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Gateway plan gets 1st property

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/12140421.html

A land bank administered by a nonprofit group has acquired the first property for a gateway community to Old South Baton Rouge, the district between downtown and LSU. The Center for Planning Excellence is coordinating plans for eight model projects in Old South Baton Rouge, the first of them on the southwest corner of the Highland Road-Terrace Avenue intersection. It

Nicholson corridor is going to have an urban overlay design for OSBR; found out Oklahoma Street is the dividing line w/ some height limitations. Unfortunately the old Prince Murat site that's being developed is on the south-side of the street with the 4-story height limit bec. it's not too far from the Magnolia Mound Plantation area. On the north-side of the street the height can go up to 10 stories(between Oklahoma Street and I-10 Miss.River Bridge).

I was disapointed the original plans at the old Prince Murat site; the two 11-story towers were scrapped instead for two 4-story buildings.

Nicholson corridor is going to have an urban overlay design for OSBR; found out Oklahoma Street is the dividing line w/ some height limitations. Unfortunately the old Prince Murat site that's being developed is on the south-side of the street with the 4-story height limit bec. it's not too far from the Magnolia Mound Plantation area. On the north-side of the street the height can go up to 10 stories(between Oklahoma Street and I-10 Miss.River Bridge).

I was disapointed the original plans at the old Prince Murat site; the two 11-story towers were scrapped instead for two 4-story buildings.

Thats quite interesting. I really think that along Nicholson where those houses are, on the river side of the road, that would make a great location for a Perkins Rowe, Towne Center, or Rouzan type development. Something that would be mixed income, mixed use that would promote pedestrian activity. I think that whole area between downtown and campus is prime for a more pedestrian friendly area than what it is.

You are right! It would be interesting to see a Perkins Rowe type development closer downtown! The Nicholson corridor would seem to have potential for this type of urban village. Some entertainment & grocery mixed-in.

I'm really hoping that they develop the Westmoreland Shopping center into a Perkins Rowe type development. I really think it would do so much for Mid-City. That place is such an eye sore. It's a shame that so many times deal have fell threw on it. I keep hoping for something soon..

:lol: No twstdndmntd, unfortunately that's something I was just throwing-out-there that might look nice on Trahan's new block on North Blvd. No plans have been released to my knowledge; maybe later in the Fall??

I have said the same thing for a long time...I wonder what downtown BR would look like with those newer buildings on Essen (Shaw, Jacobs), as well as our city's "Tallest Hotel" Marroitt at 22-stories somewhere near the RiverCenter instead. Then "Add" the incoming projects (RiverPlace, II City Plaza, New Courthouse, old Advocate site) and you have a legit skyline for downtown BR :camera:

Leave the 14-story Dean Tower and 12-story Woodale office blg. in Mid-city I guess??

Some people like the staus-quo bland boring buildings downtown. Many don't like the Shaw Center for the Arts contemporary look. But the more modern buildings will finally come.

I am glad to see OSBR plans for retvitalization. I have seen this before when refering to Government Street, the "term" BR's version of NOLA's Magazine Street. What would that take to make that happen??? I need to cruise down Magazine Street to refresh my memory.

Skylines are not everything. Modern cities have more office development nearer and nearer to the suburbs and at the same time downtowns are becoming the trendy place to be. Hell, Houston has a great skyline but it sucks to live there. I'd know. I grew up there. People who live there are there because they have to live there for work.

The only downtowns in America that are dead in this decade (in that respect) are either in cities that are dead, with no new, young folks moving in. What marks a good city is things like entertainment, parks and recreation, quality of life, education, and the job market. It's nice to have a fancy, visible downtown but it's not necessary....not that Baton Rouge's is all that bad anyways. It's a small city, and that's why I like it. Someone like me can make a difference there- and that is the same thought that will attract really cool people to Baton Rouge.

The Shaw center is ugly. I am glad that it's attracting people to the downtown area for something other than work, but it's a hideous building. It looks like it's wrapped in aluminum foil. I would have prefered a transparent building with all the mechanical and electrical visible. That would be cool.

I know most of yall are trying to be positive, but it's a hideous building. It's not attractive to me in any way, shape, or form.

Edited by cajun

You are right! It would be interesting to see a Perkins Rowe type development closer downtown! The Nicholson corridor would seem to have potential for this type of urban village. Some entertainment & grocery mixed-in.

I'd like to see three or four of those developed in locations throughout the city. One north and south of LSU, mid city, somewhere on the east side, Zachary, and in WBR. Having them with a dense core like Perkins Rowe with residential, office, and entertainment. Condos and townhomes near the core and along the major arteries, and single family residences surrouding it.

Baton Rouge can be a more European style city with a bunch of urban cores with at best mid rise buildings (and by urban core, I mean more than just office buildings) with cool stuff to occupy it's citizens all over the place. Huge skyscrapers and 12 lane freeways are not that cool, unless you like Houston.

More zero lot lines, streetside parking, and narrower streets with traffic circles instead of huge motorways. That can be a major positive for Baton Rouge, and I know it could work. TNDs are wildly popular. This country, and baton rouge has a thirst for that kind of development.

Edited by cajun

I LOVE the TND's, I think they are good, partial, solution to our sprawl problem. It gets to me so much that there are people in this city that are fighting them left and right. It just seems amazing to me that they don't see the benefits to them. As far as downtowns go with skyscrapers, I love them. I understand where you are coming from tho. Cities like Houston and Atlanta, their downtowns are like ghost towns after the businesses close. People simply just don't live in their downtowns, they live outside of them. I've noticed that with our newer modern cities their downtowns are more of a business destination than anything. I'm cool with that tho. I just think that with BR being a small city we should utilize our downtown more and mix it with business and residential. I guess my biggest draw with cities, older cities, is the fact that I love the aspect of not needing a car. Everything is either within walking distance or a short ride on mass transit. Thats what I loved most about living in NOLA.

OH by the way......I totally love the Shaw Center. It's very modern and contemporary, I love that style. I especially love at nite coming over the bridge and seeing it all lit up, it's beautiful at nite. Cajun, you aren't the first person I've come across that think it's a horrible looking building. LOL

Thanks for the all the input tonight cajun :thumbsup: Multiple urban villages connected by parks kinda European-style would be really cool.

I realize skylines do not make a city; but I look at them as the fingerprint of the city. Baton Rouge's downtown skyline was stagnant, boring for too long! It goes further than tall buildings....Proof is the 1960's downtown traffic light synchronization system STILL in place today; early next year signals at 30 interesections will finally be re-done thanks to the Greenlight Plan. Another example: upon completion of the Shaw Center in 05'; they realized they did not even COX Cable TV service available in the area. That's bad! That's how behind, dead, stagnant downtown was; left for dead upon the closing of the Capitol House in 85'. The positive is at least the area was set-up with the latest fiber-cable technology.

The new residential projects downtown are exciting! Beauregard Town and Spanish Town are still thriving and growing too. Loft living is where it's at; even if it's 3 to 5 floors above office or retail.

The consolidation of new state buildings that run in a giant wall-like gateway 4 blocks along North Street have done much to put downtown back on the map! These buildings at only 12, 9, 9, and 13-stories were integrated into the urban fabric(density) of the CBD. Not only did it bring together thousands of new workers downtown; it also changed the look as the city's "premier" business district. Don't get me wrong I like the business districts spread throughout the city. BR has many large business districts that impress me.

While I agree street level activity in those high-rises makes for a truly vibrant downtown. Skyline's are almost like an economic bar chart. When you see Houston's bold skyline from a distance flexing it's muscles; I say "WOW" this is a place that has been an economically successful powerhouse! And Uptown Houston is equally impressive about 5-6 miles west of downtown. If it were a city in itself it would rank 14th Largest business district in the U.S.

Edited by richyb83

• 1 month later...

Okay so I was thinking after I looked at the propsed plan for the riverfront. I have come to the conclusion that I really don't like the plan. I see what they are trying to do and there are some elements that I do infact like. The main part that I don't like is the whole idea of the floating park. I think it looks stupid. Not to mention how is that going to look with those cement steps thats there now. I think what they should have done was instead of putting the floating park out over the water connected with bridges they should have had the park continue from the top of the levee over the concrete steps and out over the river. I think that would have looked alot better. What do you guys think?

I Agree, while I understand the "barge park" is a creative way of adding park space where there is no space available, its a dumb idea, is going to cost a lot of money, and looks stupid. They should just make what little land the city had on the waterfront as beautiful as possible.

"nuff said!"

I don't like that it's a huge park on stilts. It will block the view of the water from parts of downtown and certainly the levee.

I think it looks lame, and when the water is low in the winter you still see the ugly batture underneath the park.

Dry land under a boardwalk? It sounds like crack alley to me.

They need to come up with another plan. Whoever came up with it obviously has never lived anywhere near the Mississippi River...and I don't think Baton Rouge needs to take the first thing that some stupid designer gives to them.

I hope they haven't decided on that stupid pier thing already. Something like New Orleans has would be better. Even something like Little Rock or Shreveport would be better than that.

If there wasn't a gap between the Levee and the park then I'd be okay with it on stilts. I just don't like the idea of creating an island type of pier with walkways and have it dry underneath half the year.

Edited by cajun

I don't like that it's a huge park on stilts. It will block the view of the water from parts of downtown and certainly the levee.

I think it looks lame, and when the water is low in the winter you still see the ugly batture underneath the park.

Dry land under a boardwalk? It sounds like crack alley to me.

They need to come up with another plan. Whoever came up with it obviously has never lived anywhere near the Mississippi River...and I don't think Baton Rouge needs to take the first thing that some stupid designer gives to them.

I hope they haven't decided on that stupid pier thing already. Something like New Orleans has would be better. Even something like Little Rock or Shreveport would be better than that.

If there wasn't a gap between the Levee and the park then I'd be okay with it on stilts. I just don't like the idea of creating an island type of pier with walkways and have it dry underneath half the year.

EXACTLY!!! Thats my problem with it, I don't like having a gap between the levee and the park. I think it's going to look stupid especially when the water level is low. I agree with the NOLA and Shreveport thing. I would love if they would just come directly off the top of the levee with the park. They could come directly off the levee and go out as far as the Paperclip Pier does now. I think that would look nice. It would still be elevated but you wouldn't have access to the underneath and you certainly wouldn't see the underneath.

This is good to see this continue!

HOPE VI to redevelop Old SBR properties

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/14237927.html

HOPE VI and the East Baton Rouge Parish Housing Authority have begun tearing down the vacant buildings on four contiguous lots at H. Thomas Delpit Drive and Julia Street and will build new homes there.

The housing authority has demolished 171 public housing units in Old South Baton Rouge

Thanks for the all the input tonight cajun :thumbsup: Multiple urban villages connected by parks kinda European-style would be really cool.

I realize skylines do not make a city; but I look at them as the fingerprint of the city. Baton Rouge's downtown skyline was stagnant, boring for too long! It goes further than tall buildings....Proof is the 1960's downtown traffic light synchronization system STILL in place today; early next year signals at 30 interesections will finally be re-done thanks to the Greenlight Plan. Another example: upon completion of the Shaw Center in 05'; they realized they did not even COX Cable TV service available in the area. That's bad! That's how behind, dead, stagnant downtown was; left for dead upon the closing of the Capitol House in 85'. The positive is at least the area was set-up with the latest fiber-cable technology.

You really don't see much anything from the west and then you cross the bridge and realize you are in a bustling city. The modernist shaw center and the tower cranes show everyone that our downtown is successful.

And you turn your head in the other direction and see LSU....the letters on the back of the south end-zone jumbotron visible from the bridge.

BR's got the shock appeal. You just don't notice it if you spend all of your time in town. Folks travelling through notice...if not for the major news coverage from LSU's Championship title then for all the tower cranes all over the place.

Edited by cajun

Thanks cajun for that different prespective from the people that maybe traveling thru. I'm one of those locked in BR so I don't notice as much, but can see exactly what you are talking about :thumbsup:

With the eastern-flanks of the Atchafaylaya Basin watershed encompassing the western-half of WBR; it does make for a dramatic change in scenery coming to the Capital City :shades:

The cranes downtown + LSU's National Championship + new Governor Bobby Jindal give Baton Rouge a nice vibe!

Wonder what kind of cutting-edge design Trahan architects will envision for the old Advocate Block?? In a way I was sorry to see The Advocate leave downtown for the two-sites in suburban SEBR. Had they stayed Downtown and built a state-of-the-art (combining Siegen/Bluebonnet) facility; it have been cool if they had some digital screens or news tickers scrolling across fronting Lafayette Street.

Hopefully we will see some more tower cranes along the Riverfront; RiverPlace & the Old Advocate site.

• 1 month later...

Main Street Market finally got it's website up and running. :thumbsup:

Following a charrette and strategic planning process led by Plan Baton Rouge in 1998, a public marketplace was created for the downtown Baton Rouge community. In November 2002, BREADA opened the doors of Main Street Market, a gathering place for regional farmers, local chefs, local artisans and local small businesses.

In its unique location in the Galvez Parking Garage, the Market serves as a center of commerce, a community gathering place and revitalization tool for our Central Business District. It is recognized nationally as a thriving example of a public/private partnership.

The Market operates six days a week, Monday through Saturday. Main Street Market provides a daily venue for downtown employees and visitors to Baton Rouge and also serves as the location for the Saturday Farmers Market. Activities and events include music, art, chef demonstrations, gardening events, live radio and TV shows, along with nutritional and agricultural education programs. The Market hosts study clubs, civic groups and local business groups.

http://www.mainstreetmarketbr.org/main/ins...hp?page=history

*Sorry, had a pic, don't know what happened to it. Did not know if this was worthy to qualify in Dan's new thread BR Attractions??