Plan Baton Rouge

richyb83

See what's happening downtown:

A "walking audit" of downtown will be held at 8:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 12. Troy Russ, transportation planner with Glatting Jackson, will lead the two sessions, aimed at getting information for the Plan Baton Rouge Phase Two master plan. The tours will start at the Shaw Center lobby. RSVP by e-mailing [email protected].

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/dai...008/nov/05/678/

Nice tour around some of downtown yesterday; wish I could have went to this. Good ideas presented! I agree surface parking lots at street corners are really wasted space. More pedestrian connections to the river needed too.

Urban planner examines downtown BR

Standing in front of the Shaw Center for the Arts at the corner of Third Street and North Boulevard, Russ pointed out the street rises to the level of the curb when it approaches the intersection, bringing cars to the same level as pedestrians. That

• 3 weeks later...

HEY all you great urban minds!!! The Downtown Development District wants to hear from yall! Give them some new ideas on what you might like to see in Downtown BR! Phase I of Plan BR was a success over the past 10 years; here's hoping the next 10 will be even better with Phase II :good:

imgplanbrlogosmsy1.gif

Just give them your name, E-mail address and your comments :thumbsup:

http://www.passionforprogress.com/index.cf...amp;tmp=planbr2

Would really like to make this meeting....

Consultants want to hear from public:

The Plan Baton Rouge Phase Two consultants will hold an open house at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Louisiana State Museum. The consultant team, which is creating the master plan for the next stage of downtown development, will present their initial ideas and take questions and comments from the public. RSVPs are requested [email protected].

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

Edited by richyb83

BR Museum sounds like a really cool idea!! :thumbsup:

DDD to hear about downtown museum

Baton Rouge history: Charles Coates, a retired civil engineer and the grandson of Charles E. Coates, a prominent chemist, academic and the coach of LSU's first football team, plans to present his proposal for a museum of Baton Rouge history during the public comment portion of Tuesday's Downtown Development District Commission meeting. Coates says the idea was inspired by a trip to Seattle's Museum of History & Industry. The DDD meeting, scheduled for 8 a.m. Tuesday at the Louisiana State Museum will also include the possible adoption of the district's 2009 budget and a Plan Baton Rouge Phase Two update.

Broadcasters opening expanded office

The Louisiana Association of Broadcasters will hold a ribbon cutting for their expanded offices at 9 a.m. Wednesday. The event will be held at the office at Florida Boulevard and 7th Street. The group has added 4,100 square feet to its offices, establishing a media center for stations covering the Legislature or other news events and an emergency operations center during disasters.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

I would eventually like to attend one of these public presentations of Phase II for downtown! More access points to the river(possible skywalks?); overcome the R.R. obstacle. Phase I of Plan BR has been a great improvement over the past 10 years! However the residential componet has been slower to take off; will Phase II solidify this possibility??

Changes outlined for river access; next Plan Baton Rouge hearing set Jan. 13

The next phase of revitalizing downtown Baton Rouge will focus, among other things, on placing the area within a network of nearby neighborhoods and attractions. It also will turn more toward seeking financial incentives to draw the next round of businesses, as well as more residential development, a major goal still unrealized since the effort known as Plan Baton Rouge began a decade ago.

Access to the river that would be an obvious way to enhance downtown

Thanks for the updates, richy, keep up the good work! The original Plan of Baton Rouge was impressive, and I'm really looking forward to seeing this update to the plan. We have riverfront access issues in Montgomery and Mobile, and I'm curious to see what your team comes up with.

Thanks Southron, appreciate that. It's good to see other southern city's come-up with solid revitalization plans for a more vibrant urban-core! Downtown is the heart of the city; and the body can't live w/o the heart! The river/waterfront should be a connection to the city; not a barrier. Sometimes I think downtown BR as being punished for being on the edge(river) and not in the geographic center like Dallas, Houston, Birmingham, Atlanta, etc.

For far too long downtown BR was terribly neglected; good ole' boy council members with their negative attitudes saying improving downtown and/or renovating the historic Capitol House was like "putting lip-stick" on a dead women. Just how bad was it?? Traffic signals still from the 1960's(that's now being fixed); in 05' after completion of Shaw Center for the Arts they discovered no cable/internet service available (good news latest technology was used recently); and NO hotel rooms for 16 years between 85'-01'.

Since Plan BR was implemented in 98' it has changed downtown significantly!! Like you, I can't wait to see what Phase II has in store. Hopefully the national economic meltdown will have a minimal effect??

Edited by richyb83

I someone has said before, the economic meltdown isn't really affecting Baton Rouge and negative effects are really just perception more than anything else. It will probably take a long time for the larger tide-shifting projects to begin, as everyone knows, it's important to remember that downtown is making small victories all the time. Everyday new people come to explore what downtown has to offer and new venues open up to serve them.And with more affordable housing there will even quicker expansion. :D

Good article in the "Opinion" section of this mornings paper. You are right Dan, it's important to see even the small victories happening downtown. Downtown's decline took decades; so will it's recovery. It is said that the national recession is apt to lengthen any "time horizon" for development; but as the nation recovers; it's hoped that Phase II will be as productive as the original. According to the planning team, we are a 1/3 of the way.

Phase II of Plan BR will be unveiled in June.

Our Views: Time needed for downtown

Baton Rouge has done really well in improving its downtown for the past 10 years, one national expert says.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see the redevelopment/ new development going on; curious to see renderings for the new "gateway" project; the 20-acre mixed-use project for Nicholson; and the old Prince Murat site. Good read too lengthy to post....

Heavy hitters working to revitalize Old South Baton Rouge

The Baton Rouge Area Foundation, East Baton Rouge Redevelopment Authority and LSU are among the players teaming up to revitalize historic Old South Baton Rouge. The neighborhood, located between downtown and LSU, was once the center of black culture and leadership in the city. But in the 1970s, the neighborhood fell into steep decline. What steps are being taken to bring the neighborhood back? And what obstacles does the redevelopment effort face?

Read the Business Report cover story here.....

Powerful allies

HOPE VI ended in September, but BRAF is committed to Old South for at least the next 10 years, Spain says. Working with the Center for Planning Excellence and the Gulf Coast Housing Partnership, BRAF plans to develop a

• 3 weeks later...

I was at DDD's Meeting yesterday.....Kip Holden is one BOLDEST mayors I can ever remember!! And I can appreciate that! Also Baton Rouge is also in the process of building a Digital City...NOLA is trying to get in on the act too...are they trying stealing BR's thunder?? Or simply trying to make a digital conglomerate like San Francisco/San Jose?? Guess we will see??

Holden: Time to act on downtown studies

The Downtown Development District kicked off its first meeting of 2009 with remarks from Mayor-President Kip Holden, who told the board and guests that the time for studying ways to make downtown better has ended and that now is the time to act.

That is a neat idea. Baton Rouge needs something else besides oil and government.

I choose the first choice. :whistling:

...NOLA is trying to get in on the act too...are they trying stealing BR's thunder?? Or simply trying to make a digital conglomerate like San Francisco/San Jose?? Guess we will see??

Me too Dan, like to see BR diversify :thumbsup: BR seems to have alot going for it now! Seeing Pennington, Celtic Media Centre, and RedStick Animation Festival continue to expand is encouraging! As well as EA Sports coming to BR!

I answered the DDD survey already; so I can't directly post it bec. it says "done". So *CLICK-ON* at the "end" of the DDD article to answer the 21 question survey....Affordable housing; grocery/pharmacy are a must for downtown IMO!

DDD wants public opinion on downtown

The Downtown Development District has launched a survey asking the public for its opinion on what's going on downtown. The survey covers such topics as the strengths and challenges of downtown, along with what amenities people would like to see come into the area. Davis Rhorer, DDD executive director, says the survey ties in with the ongoing Plan Baton Rouge Phase Two. "It's good to revisit our plans every now and then to see if we can incorporate things to make us the best success we can be," he says. The survey questions were devised in-house, and the responses could determine which issues the DDD staff pursues. Rhorer says he would like to get about 500 responses. "We've already got 200 just from our e-mail list, so I'm real encouraged," he says. To take the survey, click here.

More on the survey... DDD Director was hoping for 500 responses; already exceeded expectations with 700; hopes for 1,000. Deadline is Jan. 23rd. I think it's essential to get the public feedback; I'm suprised as well as the DDD's staff at how much they use surface streets to get downtown.

DDD asks residents about downtown

The Downtown Development District is asking metro area residents to take a survey to help guide growth downtown.

The survey asks 21 questions about how people get downtown, where they go and how they move around while there, what it would take to get them to live there and what kinds of amenities and businesses they want to see.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/37752529.html

• 4 weeks later...

Well this what alot of us have been saying!! Riverfront development is still seriously lacking! 3 prime blocks still mostly empty between Florida Street and Main. Enough space for 2,000 additional residential units for downtown in the future?? Maybe at least 1/2 that in 10 years?? That would be nice! But how affordable will all that be, hopefully the low interest loans will come to fruition??

The northern end of Third Street does need an anchor like the Palms on Third! Making Laurel Street a 2-way street; along with St Ferninand and St Louis streets important north-south between downtown and LSU is a good idea!

Advisers: Growth needed near river

Consultants plotting the next phase of downtown development talked Monday night about boosting housing stock, improving transportation and creating recreational space with a close bond with the Mississippi River.

Plan Baton Rouge Phase II, which aims to pick up where the first installment a decade ago left off, is aiming for a final proposal later this spring. Alex Krieger, of lead consultant Chan Krieger Sieniewicz, said downtown needs to be better connected to the river at both its northern and southern ends.

Downtown needs to focus on entertainment and cultural offerings for conventioneers and visitors in order to help that grow as well, said Alschuler, of HR&A Advisors Inc. Alschuler said downtown needs some kind of attraction to pull people to the northern end of downtown now dominated by the State Capitol, suggesting a theater or upscale jazz club.

And he said any plan to boost housing would have diversity of incomes as a main goal. He added that expanding the scope of transportation beyond the automobile will help increase mobility, which is also a diversifying force.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/39351467.html

Edited by richyb83

• 4 weeks later...

Another idea from the Plan BR team....Is this a land-bridge over River Road?? I do like this idea of new pedestrian connections to the river; but I don't think Mayor Kip Holden is going to completely give up on Audubon ALIVE; even if it's on a "smaller" scale. Also...would this interfere with the possible ampitheatre on-hold?? Maybe not.

capitolparkwestt600.jpg

*Photo: Center for Planning Excellence

Capitol Park West

Extend levee bike trail into adjoining neighborhoods. Develop a northern destination near the State Visitors Center at North Street. Consider a new project where Audubon Alive would have been. As Doug Reed, the project

I really like the ideas presented,but the concern is with a platform out in the water like that, the possibility of a runaway barge hitting the platform. I mean how many times has the bridge pilings both old and new bridge been hit in the past. Of the barge wouldn't damage them, but looking at the little pilings they have for this, it would be devastating especially if pedestrians are on it.

I really like the ideas presented,but the concern is with a platform out in the water like that, the possibility of a runaway barge hitting the platform. I mean how many times has the bridge pilings both old and new bridge been hit in the past. Of the barge wouldn't damage them, but looking at the little pilings they have for this, it would be devastating especially if pedestrians are on it.

Are you referring to the land bridge above? That's connecting what is now a batture where the Desoto Park and proposed ALIVE museum will be built. I actually think that would be a good idea if it were not for the fact that River Road and Spanish Town Road are already at the same grade as the Levee, and would require nothing more than a crosswalk, and a land bridge would block the only place you can see the river from the street.

If you are talking about the 2006 riverfront plan, then I agree with you!

You've seen the plan for the riverfront? It sucks....just a bad idea all around not to mention very expensive.

I'd much rather them just widen or expand the levee with fill than have them make a giant pier...imagine all the crap and debris that will pile up around those pilings. On top of all of this, there is a huge gap between the levee and the proposed riverfront pier, which is just wrong. It's like turning your back on downtown by creating an island just off the levee with only a few ways to enter/exit. And in order to keep it above water year round, it would be standing up to 20' above the water level in the fall season. I can tell the design team isn't from around here. That might work Seattle or Philadelphia, but it won't work here. The Mississippi River isn't a normal river..it's huge, and it's level varies from season to season.

I wish they would just use fill to widen the levee to..say..75' wide and refurbish the paperclip and perhaps add a new pier of similar size (except a floating pier) to the north end of downtown. If they did that, they could offer a good, solid amount of green space to plant trees, install fountains, and have a gradual slope into the river. That combined with the new amphitheater, Desoto Park, and the ALIVE (which hopefully will pass this year) center...our riverfront would be very, very attractive.

Turning River road into a two land boulevard or a three lane road through downtown would also help a lot....leaving space for trees and a sidewalk on the river side of the street.

Edited by cajun

I want Aububon ALIVE too!! Would yall be willing to have it on a smaller scale if it does ever happen??

Another idea by Plan BR....

I like this idea; a nice mix of mid-rise condo's/townhomes in a new little residential section w/ pocket park connecting BR's Two Historic Downtown Neighborhoods...the Trahan block on North Blvd/Seventh Street too..but not sure if any buildings would have to be demolished for Victory Park??..I doubt the new little emergency broadcasting would ever be torn down.

victoryparkt600.jpg

Victory Park

Create a new residential neighborhood along Seventh Street connecting Spanish Town and Beauregard Town, with a new neighborhood park at Seventh Street, Florida Street and Convention Street. Expand recreation with a bicycle trail system. Convert Laurel Street into a two-way road.

This is the Trahan block on North Blvd. No mention of anything recently; tenants were to have moved by the end of the year...then I'm guessing they demolish the building? Then build new?? residential; mixed-use??

feb07004.jpg

Are you referring to the land bridge above? That's connecting what is now a batture where the Desoto Park and proposed ALIVE museum will be built. I actually think that would be a good idea if it were not for the fact that River Road and Spanish Town Road are already at the same grade as the Levee, and would require nothing more than a crosswalk, and a land bridge would block the only place you can see the river from the street.

If you are talking about the 2006 riverfront plan, then I agree with you!

You've seen the plan for the riverfront? It sucks....just a bad idea all around not to mention very expensive.

I'd much rather them just widen or expand the levee with fill than have them make a giant pier...imagine all the crap and debris that will pile up around those pilings. On top of all of this, there is a huge gap between the levee and the proposed riverfront pier, which is just wrong. It's like turning your back on downtown by creating an island just off the levee with only a few ways to enter/exit. And in order to keep it above water year round, it would be standing up to 20' above the water level in the fall season. I can tell the design team isn't from around here. That might work Seattle or Philadelphia, but it won't work here. The Mississippi River isn't a normal river..it's huge, and it's level varies from season to season.

I wish they would just use fill to widen the levee to..say..75' wide and refurbish the paperclip and perhaps add a new pier of similar size (except a floating pier) to the north end of downtown. If they did that, they could offer a good, solid amount of green space to plant trees, install fountains, and have a gradual slope into the river. That combined with the new amphitheater, Desoto Park, and the ALIVE (which hopefully will pass this year) center...our riverfront would be very, very attractive.

Turning River road into a two land boulevard or a three lane road through downtown would also help a lot....leaving space for trees and a sidewalk on the river side of the street.

Love Love Love the idea of just making the levee wider. I have long been an advocate of this, instead of that god aweful floating monstrosity they want. I think if they make it wider towards River Rd. they should put a nice brick retaining wall and paint a big BR mural on it. I think that would be quite nice and something interesting to see.

^Actually....there are plans to make River Road into a 2 lane tree-lined boulevard one day?? Hopefully the idea of the batture will not come to pass.

Interesting choice for a pic from Plan BR...hopefully one day,,, we see some dense residential similar to this along the Nicholson corridor.

oldsouthbr1t600.jpg

Old South Baton Rouge and LSU linkage

Everyone agrees the concept of downtown needs to expand. A critical mass of housing is vital to sustain downtown development, and Old South is the logical place to find it. Consultants say as many as 1,600 to 2,000 housing units could be added in the Nicholson Drive area. Alschuler says Old South Baton Rouge is the most important connection in the city, as it connects the two most important permanent assets: downtown and LSU.